Radeon HD 6470M becomes HD 7450M after BIOS update

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by elkosith, Oct 20, 2012.

1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Around 2 weeks ago I bought HP Notebook PC 431 (this model is not available worldwide). The laptop is equipped with Core i5 2430 and Radeon HD 6470M. I installed Win 7 64 bit on it.

When installing the drivers, I found out that Intel Turbo Boost chipset driver can't be installed. The installer gave a warning message that says the computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install the program.

I thought the turbo boost must be enabled from the BIOS, so I entered the BIOS but couldn't find any option regarding turbo boost. So decided to update the BIOS to see if it would have the turbo boost setting.

After flashing the new BIOS and reboot, the VGA driver was automatically reinstalled, and after another reboot the VGA is recognized as Radeon HD 7450M. GPUz also detected the VGA as 7450M. The new BIOS doesn't have options about Turbo boost.

Anyone can explain why this can happen? And also about the Turbo boost, how to enable it? Or my laptop simply doesn't support it?

I didn't feel any performance improvement in games after that.

I did run 3dmark03 before the update and got around 12000. The 3dmark03 has been uninstalled, maybe I'll reinstall it and run a test to see if there is a performance improvement or not.

2. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Sure quiet here...

I reinstalled 3mark03 and ran a test, same result, around 12000...

3. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Principally 7450 is 6470 (with added GDDR5 support) so the performance is equal. And what's called is insignificant; my Quadro FX1600M was sometimes identified as GT 8700M.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    IIRC Turbo Boost doesn't need driver; it's a processor feature like HT.
    On my laptop you can just see Turbo Boost working with CPU-Z when there's a load on the CPU by noticing the speed bump on the core speed.
    Or you can use this monitoring program from Intel.
    The only way to enable/disable Turbo Boost is via BIOS, or maybe with the laptop config software/control panel provided by HP.

If you can't see any speed gains while loading the CPU, then it's probably because the chipset used on your laptop doesn't support it.

As zipper mentioned, that only means 7450m is a rebranded 6470m.

5. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Thanks a lot for the information, cleared up my confusion :D

Yea, I read about Turbo Boost just needs supported CPU and chipset to work. But the Turbo Boost chipset driver is available at HP's download section, that's why I downloaded it and tried to install it, and when it won't install I assumed that Turbo Boost is not working in my laptop.

I downloaded the monitoring program and Turbo Boost is working. Thanks for the help.. :thumbup:

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Lol, how misleading...somebody at HP needs to be called out and gets a whipping with a cactus. :p

7. DavidFerreira

DavidFerreira Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7450m 1GB
    Can anyone help me? I have windows 10\8 and I cannot install my 7450m graphic cards, it always shows 7400m series, and don't work :S

I already install the last drivers and still the same probleme.

My laptop is HP Pavillion G6 with i3(2gen) 6gb Ram and 750gb os disk with ATI 7450m.