Asus G551JM fan problem?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by xIcarus, Apr 12, 2015.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Hello, 2 weeks ago I've bought this nice laptop and I'm having some trouble with it.

When I received it, it would overheat and the fan would refuse to turn on. I was prepared to RMA it, but after a restart the fan turned on and has worked properly ever since.
    Or at least I thought so.

Yesterday I loaded up a game for the first time and the fan abruptly shut off. I don't know why.

I've been testing and testing and it turns out that the fan doesn't seem to have an issue. I can ramp it up to 100% manually.
    The trick is that I loaded a game with the fan speed at 100%. The temps obviously started rising, and around 70 degrees the fan suddenly shuts off. After this happens the fan becomes unresponsive and I can't change its speed no matter what I do. It just refuses to turn on until the laptop cools down.

What is this? I can't figure out if this is a hardware or software issue, what do you guys think? I mean the fan seems to be working when the laptop is cool. But it stubbornly refuses to function once the laptop is hot.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Seems more like fan failing at higher RPM.

I would just RMA it. You don't want a failing fan in a laptop.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    So you believe it's fan failure? I mean it's entirely possible, maybe the temperature was just a coincidence.

The curious thing is that when it suddenly stops, SpeedFan reports 39842942 RPM, which is obviously a false reading and NFC reports it's trying to speed it up with a "critical" notice.

Gahh dammit I was trying to avoid RMA, I'm in my parents' town and I don't have the warranty card. And I need it in one week for work.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah, either fan failure or a probe fault, either way you want to RMA the laptop and get it checked out.

You could maybe delay it by soft disabling the nvidia card until you have time to RMA it, force all applications to run off the intel card, but I wouldn't advise using it like that with a potentially faulty fan.