Black Screen (monitor not waking from sleep properly) investigation.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cyclone3d, Nov 18, 2014.

1. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    So the last few versions of Catalyst, I have been getting either corruption or Black Screen or the monitor not waking at all after going to sleep (computer not sleeping, just the monitor).

It also only happens if I have my monitor plugged into the DVI port.

The fix after it does this is simply to unplug the DVI cable and plug it back in.

I have already reported it to AMD a couple weeks ago, but wanted to see if anybody else is seeing the same type of thing.

I am just now getting ready to install the 14.11.2 Beta set and will report back if it is still happening.

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Made a similar investigation thread over here too just for cross-reference: http://www.overclock.net/t/1524096/screen-wake-issue-on-every-driver-why (nothing particularly useful on it yet though)

As for why it happens, I don't know either, but here's what I've experienced:

- Issue happens with various Acer S201HL monitors (connected via DVI), and an old Gateway VX1120 CRT monitor with VGA-to-DVI (passive?) adapter

- Issue doesn't occur in Linux with either open-source (radeon) or proprietary (fglrx) drivers with all Radeon HD 7850 cards I tried

- Issue occurred on a few different Radeon HD 7850 cards I had, all from MSI (had two different Power Edition and Twin Frozr III cards)

- Disabling ULPS doesn't help

I can't remember the last driver to not do this issue; over on the above thread, people recommend 14.4, but I could have sworn it happened there too (not entirely certain though).

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Well, the monitor I am seeing it with is a Dell E248WFP.

I never noticed it before the 14.9.2 beta driver, but it could possibly have been happening on the 14.9.1 beta set as well.

And it only happens when the monitor is hooked up via DVI.

When it is hooked up to my active minidp to DVI adapter it doesn't happen.

I will test and see if the problem happens with the latest beta tomorrow evening.

I also need to check if it happens with my other monitors (ASUS and ACER)

In the 14.9.2 beta set, it was showing up as corruption, then in 14.11.1, it changed to a black screen or not waking up at all.

4. NeonFlak

NeonFlak New Member

GPU:
    6gb Crucial
    Use afterburner to disable powerplay. That completely fixed the blackscreen issue for me.

5. Cybermax

Cybermax Guest

Had this happen a couple of times with the 14.9 WHQL driver aswell.. No overclocking or anything, but have 2 monitors hooked up by DVI.

C

6. BuuBuu

BuuBuu Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 8 GB ( 4 X 2 )
    For me it's black screen that happens suddenly during anything , i fixed it temporary by flashing my R7 260X with asus bios , it makes the gpu always on 3D mode so it doesn't get stuck in 2D mode

here in this amd page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9WINReleaseNotes.aspx

they noted that it is a problem in their drivers :
    [404660]: GPU gets stuck in a low power state after it was previously stressed to max power

this was from 29/9/2014 , still they didn't fix it , i was wondering if they care about this bug ? , because it is the most important bug to fix and yet they didn't

7. jsolo

jsolo Guest

GPU:
    @work:6770,7770,260X
    Be careful, the 260X issues are black screen entire system lockups, whereas this thread is talking about only the monitor not waking up(if you were desperate you could remote desktop into your system to save open files and shut down gracefully for instance). I'm pretty sure the 260X also has the wake from sleep bugs, but most of the black screens are system hangs.

8. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Or, in my instance, you can just unplug the DVI cable and then plug it back in to get the display to work again.

9. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    So far I haven't had the black screen issue with the 14.11.2 beta set.

I have also not played any games and then let it go to sleep afterwards.

I will have to test that out to see if that makes a difference.

10. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Well, definitely NOT fixed in this version.

I am not getting black screen anymore, but the corruption is back like in 14.9.2

This is without having run any games on it.

11. Dazza08

Dazza08 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 XT 2GB
    Well my problem the system locking up after trying to wake up the screen seems to be gone with the latest beta, 14.9.2.

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Doesn't seem to be the case on my computer. Woke up to a sleeping monitor and hard-locked system :/ (not sure if it hard-locked before or after I tried removing the video cable from the GPU)

Using the Pci Bus driver doesn't seem to affect this either. Did a clean Windows 7 install earlier, and didn't install the bus driver (I usually do), and still had the sleep issue.

13. Dazza08

Dazza08 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 XT 2GB
    Hey man, this is what i did when i installed 14.9.2 from 1. I uninstalled amd drivers in normal mode with catalyst uninstaller from program features and when it was done i went into safe mode and used the latest DDU to uninstall what was left of AMD. Rebooted and installed 14.9.2 and rebooted again and now everything seems fine. Not one lockup since i installed it.

I hope u get the same luck as me :)

14. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    Some solutions for monitor standby bug:

1. HDMI cable instead of DVI (yes for me)
    2. Disable in monitor menu DDC/CI (not for me)
    3. Reinstall (newer) Intel chipset drivers, no smart connect - bios disabled, (yes for me, only Management Engine installed) for AMD chipset driver I don't know.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I'll have to give using a HDMI cable a try; would kind of bug me not using the native DVI port though, but whatever :p

Disabling DDC/CI didn't help for me either.

Doing that Intel stuff didn't help for me; I had a H97 Killer board for a while and even with no Smart Connect, UEFI, and ME installed, I still had the sleep issue.

One random possible fix might be to try enabling IOMMU (on AMD; Intel's equivalent is VT-d, but I'm not sure if you can toggle that). I may give it a try and see what happens.

16. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Happened to me on all 14.x drivers. I had posted in a thread that it never happened on 14.4 for me, but the day I went to upgrade to 14.9, I got to my PC and it would not wake. Happened constantly on 14.9 and finally I disabled letting the monitor go to sleep and opted for a screensaver instead. Running 14.11.2 right now (for Far Cry 4) and I have not changed my settings to test it.

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It's been a few days now, and so far I haven't seen the sleep issue with my Acer S201HL monitor on DVI (I switched back to it recently since my CRT started acting strangely).

I overclocked my core and memory clocks a bit higher than usual though (1050MHz/1450MH).

18. asskicker2

asskicker2 Guest

GPU:
    b
    Happens every single time since I'm on 14.11.2.

Before it happened occasionally. Wtf AMD.

19. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    On a Asus HD7870 DC2 V2 (custom PCB) + Dell U2311h via DVI>DVI, W8.1 x64, 790FX MB. I can't also get rid of occasional monitor wake problems, only way to recover is by re-plugging DVI. So far what I gathered:

- Every every 14.x WHQL causes it, but it can happen on 13.12s also (but it's much less frequent). Never tried earlier drivers.
    - Disabling DDC/CI on monitor does nothing.
    - Disabling PCI-E Link State Power Management does nothing.
    - Disabling any OC does nothing.
    - Enabling GPU Scaling on CCC (as suggested by another user) does nothing.
    - Changing from DVI-I port to the card's secondary DVI-D port does nothing.

I'm yet to understand if those who resolved this issue were limited to using true HDMI>HDMI connections.
    In a few weeks I'll be able to test a HDMI>DVI-D cable to connect the card's HDMI output to my DVI monitor's input (as it lacks HDMI), I'll report back then.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

So what OS are we all using?

I've been on Windows 7 for about a week, and haven't seen the screen wake issue. Went over to 8.1, and had the wake issue happen once within two days.