AsMedia 106X SATA + SSD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by LawlFish, Aug 24, 2012.

1. LawlFish

LawlFish Guest

GPU:
    2X 7970 XFX Double D
    So basically here is the story. I have 2 WD Caviar Blacks running in RAID0 on the SATA ports (1-2) on the side of my ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard (Latest BIOS). The problem is, as the SATA port assignments go 1-4 (AHCI, RAID, IDE) 5-6 (RAID, IDE) The problem is that you cannot run RAID on 5-6 while running AHCI on 1-4. (the BIOS locks that functionality out.) So I also have a Corsair Force GT with the 5.02 Firmware, and have it running on the single AsMedia 106X SATA port. Now from my understanding, if I moved the SSD to SATA port 3, and ran it UNLINKED from the RAID0 array, in technicality it would be running in ACHI (The AsMedia Controller is in ACHI) . The reason I ask this is because I am not getting proper Benchmarks out of the SSD, I have tested it in 3 different benchmarks, AS SSD, ASSO, HDTune, all fall short about 200 MB/s short on sequential Read.

2. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    I have asus mobo with similiar sata desing and enabling raid on hdd cuts my ssd performance from 520MB/s to about 300MB/s so backup your data/os and be ready to go back if you wanna try it on your mobo.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In my testing using my Mobo wich also have the Asmedia 1061 Sata 6Gb/s controller , its a decent Sata 3 controller but you will not be able to max out your SSD performance , in my case im using Samsung 830 128GB SSD and it maxes out around 425 reads / 320 Writes , i can max out writes but reads always are lower using this Asmedia 1061 Sata 3 controller in ahci mode , my SSD its rated at 520 reads 320 wrrites , only in my Sata 3 Intel controller im able to max out my SSD getting more than what i paid for , im getting 528 reads and 326 writes. Try using the latest driver for your Asmedia 1061 controller , enable wrtie back cahe and turn OFF safely remove this hardware within the Asmedia driver found under ata /atapi devices foud in device manager , also in device manager go to disk drives enable write back cache and select ( put the check mark ) turn off windows cache buffing. Here its the latest driver released 1.3.8 released a couple of days ago 8/24/2012 http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm ,give it a shot and good luck.

4. dejo1

dejo1 New Member

GPU:
    bfg 9800gtx+ (2)
    it seems for me that on the addin msata card with asmedia 106x controller I get better small read/write with the 1.3.1.0 or 1.3.4.0 drivers than with the 1.3.8.0.

5. i ssorg

i ssorg Guest

GPU:
    ATI
    Does the Samsung Magician Software recognize your Samsung 830 on AsMedia controller?

I'm giving this AsMedia 1061 chipset (Syba SY-PEX40039) serious consideration - I've installed a Samsung 830 128GB SSD on an older nForce 430 board with an XP installation (I know it's time to upgrade:bang: but this is a business machine) and I'm getting pretty good numbers. The 830 is a lot faster than the striped Velociraptors it replaced even with crippled performance from the SATA II and non AHCI board. This 1061 chipset looks like a good bang for the buck and might be an excellent fit.

chipsy: Have you been able to see full functionality of your Samsung Magician Software when your 830 SSD is connected to this AsMedia 1061 controller? Are you able to see AND SELECT your 830 under the Performance optimization feature?

Reason I ask is that I've already had to play around with the drivers on the nForce board to get this Performance optimization feature to work, and this feature of the Magician software is critical to me with my non TRIM OS.

Glad I found your post and look forward to your reply.

6. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I have the Crosshair V with the asmedia 106 Sata Controller. I have the Samsung 830 but i cannot get the Samsung Magician to recognize my Samsung 830 in AHCI mode in Windows XP.

BUT i havent tried IDE mode which might disable the Raid Array mode completely which might be causing the problem. (Samsung Magician does not detect its own hard-drives in Raid Array Mode)

I moved my Samsung 830 to the ports that do not support Raid and still I cannot get Samsung Magician to recognize my hard-drive as Samsung to get the TRIM software to work!

SO beware. I will later try to switch to IDE mode to see what happens. Hard-drive works just need the software to work every once in a while with TRIM!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I flipped into IDE mode and then Windows XP would not load.

This link is interesting:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366176

I dont know what he did but I want to know what he did.

I am downloading the latest chipset drivers to see if it helps.

I noticed my OS drive was on the IDE channel when i switched it to IDE but when I moved it over to isolate the Samsung 830 in IDE mode Samsung Magician was able to detect and run TRIM software.

So no TRIM in AHCI mode because of RAID. I dont know how to overcome this but i am not using my SSD as a boot drive at this moment so switching between AHCI and IDE with Boot in XP does not work.

Performance in IDE Mode was (since it ran a benchmark after TRIM)

sequential Read 461 MB/s
    Sequential Write 307 Mb/s
    Random Write IOPS 16298
    I/0 Size Sequential 128
    I/O Size Random 4

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I did an official benchmark with Samsung Magician and it was a 1 Gig sized benchmark the other benchmark was 200 megabytes.
    I disabled the write caching this time.

Similar results except my Sequential Write went down to 39 MB/s. The problem is I dont want to do anymore benchmarks to see if AHCI mode is actually better by alot over IDE in windows XP. I thought disabling Write Caching was supposed to help speed but it didnt.