GTX 980 SLI Problem - Ran out of options, need help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Boredofnicks, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Boredofnicks

Boredofnicks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    GTX 980 SLI Problem - Ran out of options, need help [solved]

Before describing my problem here is my pc specs;

i5 3570k 4.5ghz
    8GB DDR3 Ram
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    GTX 980 SLI
    1000w Corsair PSU
    2xSSDs 120GB OCZ Agility 3 For OS / Samsung EVO 250GB for Gaming
    2xHDD 500GB & 1TB Seagates
    Monitor is 1080p atm - Although ordered ASUS ROG SWIFT probably gonna get it in a couple of days

Guys I have some serious stutter issue with Battlefield 4. It is so bad, I cant call it microstutter or stutter at all, it is mega stutter.First I disabled vsync and was getting 150-200 FSP on Ultra with 4xMSAA but tearing was terrible. I enable vsync and my god, I was a GTX 690 user for last 2 years and I have never encountered such a stutter on SLI - It is stuttering so bad when turning to sides I dont really know what to call it, stutter or frameskipping I really dont know, it is 60 FPS which looks like 30 FPS when vsync is on. It is not rubberbanding or anything network related, I tried the game on both SP & MP, it happens on both.

I have this extreme stutter only on BF4 atm.
    -Alien Isolation works butter smooth on 4k DSR,
    -Elite Dangerous Beta works perfect on 4K DSR,
    -Metro games works perfect
    -Witcher 2 Full Details with Ubersampling plays butter smooth
    -Watch Dogs struggles to stay at 60 FPS with even GTX 980 SLI but I dont give a ****, every living being knows how crap WD optimized.
    -Tried lotsa other games like Shadow of Mordor (plays butter smooth at 1440p DSR with 130+ fps) almost every game works perfectly fine

BUT THIS BATTLEFIELD 4 IS GIVING ME HEADACHES. I am an FPS fan, and one of the reasons pouring so much money into this setup is to experience 144hz Gaming (or 120 with Gsync) on 1440p. But I am out of options atm with solving my stutter issue in this game. When I disable SLI everything works perfect again.

-I tried clean install of drivers. (DDU)
    -I rolled back to previous drivers, though I dont have many driver options with those cards atm.
    -Tried to use FPS limiter instead of vsync
    -Tried to use AFR
    -Tried Max rendered frame settings
    -Checked SLI bridge
    -Only thing I didnt try so far is to switching to Win 8.1 64bit, I have the OS but I dont like the new OS and I dont want to switch unless it is the only option that will fix the problem %100 (which I dont believe %1 percent though)

Any advice? Anythingp please, thanks for reading

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried disabling Origin In-Game overlay ?

3. Boredofnicks

Boredofnicks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    Yes I tried it :(

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How does it run with SLi disabled ?

5. Boredofnicks

Boredofnicks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    It runs perfectly fine with one card, stutter occurs only when SLI is enabled

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I had similar issue for me with SLI, I used to fix/ workaround this by using this :

Use this console command (must be done everytime you load BF4 unless you create a config file for it): gametime.maxvariablefps 60

Note: replace 60 with the desired hz. probably 120 or 144hz in your case.

Imo its a game problem.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  7. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I had an issue where at random performance would drop, causing stutters, but alt+tabbing always fixed it. Strangely, I say strangely, disabling my iGPU completely fixed that issue.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Is there any good reason to not do that when you run a gaming rig with a real GPU in it? The first thing I'd do, because I wouldn't feel I need it, and again, to probably save some power / voltage the CPU takes during use, and thus heat to gain some reserves for overclocking.
    But maybe I'm completely off here, and sorry for the OT

9. Boredofnicks

Boredofnicks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    I THANK YOU MATE, I really really appriciate your help, that solved the problem, unbelievable, everything is smooth again even with %200 scaling on ULTRA. Mate really really, thank you for 1000s times :):):):)

And thx to everyone else for trying to help as well :)