Your thoughts on: my upgrade path, 20\28nm vs FINfet, 780Ti/790/800

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by VolkNasty, Mar 18, 2014.

1. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    I have been doing a lot of thinking, saving, and waiting...

I was waiting for the 780Ti Lightning to be released... but we now know that its not coming to public.

I am waiting for the new Overlord 1440 x 2560 Gsync or 4k monitors.

I WAS waiting for Maxwell 20nm 800 series, but I have read a few articles lately, all of which say that the 20nm fabrication is bunk. By "bunk" I mean that AMD/Nvidia are having second thoughts on 20nm, and it may not be worth the trouble for either company or consumers. That is why both AMD and Nvidia are fine tuning the 28nm architecture to meet the 20nm performance levels and just completely skip 20nm. Then both companies would just go for the 16/14nm FINfet architecture.

On top of all of this, I also have a problem with PCIe space. I bought the Asus Dual-Band Wireless AC1900 PCI-E adapter, thinking I could jelly it in-between both my 580 lightnings, but I was wrong (by a **** hair). Then 790 rumor mill spun up and I thought that a single card solution would be best. I want to continue to have solid performance especially when the gsync 1440x2560 monitors release.

As of right now my 580 sli still shreds, my only limitation is the weak amount of Vram available. Last Light, Crysis 3, and Rome 2 are slugging along @ 1080p, and I know the cards can't handle the eventual monitor upgrade. I am hoping that Gsync will cut the need for a SLI setup on a single monitor running off of a 780ti. If not then I would have to SLI again which is why I was hoping that the 790 rumors are true so that I can save space. I am also a fan of the "tock" rather than the "tick" in card releases, I find that they represent the best of a life cycle.

I am trying to figure out, whether I should pull the trigger on a 780ti, wait for the 790 rumor mill to churn out a fact, or hold out for the ever illusive 20nm Maxwell 880 (lightning). 4k would be nice, but I think it still needs to mature, to include other tech such as hdmi 2.0, H.265, higher refresh rates, and lower price.

I have the funds to do the upgrades, but I am not the type to upgrade every card generation. I want to future proof yet spend smartly. Bottom line is I want smooth gaming at maxed out settings on 1440x2560 well into the future. And if I decide to do 4k down the road, only be 1 video card away.

So that's that.... your thoughts.

On a side note, I was also waiting for Synology to announce their 1814+ at CeBIT but they didn't. With rumors of a substantial cpu upgrade in the 1814+ model I don't want to drop a G on the 13+ six months into its release knowing full well at the very least 1814+ specs are only a few months away. However, my media server is out of space now and I would like to consolidate my 5tb of media on to one big raid with port bonding. This is getting painful!

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC

What's your definition of smooth? I have a GSync monitor and 100fps+ is what I consider smooth.

3. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Good question, which has many different answers. The Overlord monitors can handle the higher refresh rates up to 120hz, so i would want to take advantage of that.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you would want 2 780ti or the like. my refresh rate is 100

5. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Agreed!

You might even consider 2 Titans if you think that the RAM on the 780TI isn't going to be enough "well into the future". If you're thinking of going 4K the Titan is almost essential I would say.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  6. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    I was thinking about titan blacks, however that is when the 790 talk came up. As I did more digging I found out about that whole 20nm problem, which is my problem. Its hard to decide what to get not knowing what Nvidia's next move is. I would gladly get a 790 over an 880 if the rumors ring true about the 790 having 10gb or even 8gb of vram.
    From what I gather from my fellow guru's is that there really isn't a single card solution right now and 780 ti SLI is the way to go for 1440, and titan blk for 4k.

7. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If you need a new graphics card now, buy one now. IMO, there's little point waiting to see what might come. Only if you know for sure the release date of card X or next gen Y is it worth waiting. Sounds to me like you don't really need it if you are thinking about waiting.

That pretty much sums it up!

8. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Cool, I might wait it out for a bit longer then. Ill focus on my HTPC/NAS/Gaming build. Bought my first components today!