MSI 7950 coil whine when gaming at 60 fps

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ReBeL, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I just acquired an MSI R9750.

There is very noticeable coil whining going on when playing a game. I don't hear it when in Windows desktop, or even during games if I"m on a menu screen. It's only when rendering the actual game. I've read that coil whine is typical when rendering very high framerates, but I always vsync/cap my framerate at 60 fps. Should I be concerned?

2. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    Nothing to worry about, coile whine usually has no negative effect on GPU. The coils on your graphics card isnt wery well isolated, they oscilate at a high frequency durring load, making whining noise.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Happens to me when loading or gaming in high framerates, it's normal.

4. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Try limiting the framerate to 58fps. Might help with the noise and gaming should be smoother as a side effect;)

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or that old 550W might be on its limits and now it started to coil whine since its more stressed..

Btw 58fps only made worse picture smoothness here, 60fps+60vsync looked perfect.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    58FPS causes hitching every half second. Surely you can see it?

7. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Well I said 60 but technically I have it set to 59. It seems unlikely to me that lowering it just one more fps to 58 would make a perceptible difference, but if someone else will second that suggestion then I might to it just to see.

The PSU might be a factor, but the noise is definitely coming from the graphics card.

8. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    59fps@60Hz - missing one frame per second.

58fps@60Hz - missing two frames per second.

I certainly notice the skips, I find 59fps@60Hz unbearable.

I use CRU to put my refreshrate only ever so slightly higher than my framerate, resulting in a skip every minute, which is the best compromise between input lag and graphic skips.

I've never heard my video card make noises luckily, but my monitor can make a high pitched noise when I put it in a frequency it doesn't like.

9. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    Getting off topic a bit, but that's ok...

The reason I have my fps capped at 59 is because that is the best fps where tearing is gone and rendering is smoothest. For me, capping the fps at 60 to match the refresh rate still produced some tearing, and setting it to 58 or lower results in more stutter/jitter.

That's just me though. YMMV I suppose.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    vsync on + 60fps limit will remove input bottleneck while keeping picture vsynced and tear free ^^

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Won't remove vsync-induced input latency. It will make it less.

OP, you shouldn't be getting tearing if VSync is on unless VSync is being broken in-game / externally.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    True, not completely - but kept to minimal, especially with 1 frame to render ahead.

I think he isn't using vsync at all, just capping it to 59fps.

Anyway I still suspect PSU a little, gpu can whine but not much.
    Mine did a little with 570 but when I changed 5 year old psu Tagan Piperock (it died, thunderstorm) it became very silent, even in 3dmark IceStrom test. Still is now with 780gtx & extra OC :)

13. ReBeL

ReBeL Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 S 8GB
    I'm using VSync.

I spent quite a bit of time on this a couple of years ago, and found that VSync + 59 fps cap yields the best results for me. That goes for mouse lag as well, although I don't really play games with mouse+keyboard anymore, so that's not as important to me as it used to be.

It's starting to come back to me now....yes, I think tearing was indeed gone with basic VSync enabled but the mouse lag was worse. The 59 cap is what fixed my mouse lag. But like I said, mouse lag doesn't matter to me as much anymore.

Here is an old thread that documents my struggle with mouse lag and Vsync:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=240885

Even with my solution to cap the fps at 59, I would guess that there's still a small amount of mouse lag when compared to having VSync disabled. But it was drastically reduced to the point that it satisfied me. For the hardcore competitive FPS gamer, it might not be good enough.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  14. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    I had the same issues with my 7950 twinfrozr. It didnt affect anything except the sound is quite annoying. So I RMA'd it and they just gave me a new one no hassle. Only thing, they just told me to change the thermal paste on the new card.

Seems like theres quite some problems on a number of batches of 7950 twinfrozr thermal paste i guess. I thought it wouldnt matter, but it did, the new card was around 10c higher than the old one so I replaced it with mx4 and dropped more than 10c on max load.

Just sharing some insight on my past experiences with the 7950 twinfrozr.
    Great card, useless for me to even change to 280x :bang:

15. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Guest

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    My 290x had terrible coil whine at any fps. 60 was bad 100 or over and the while was so loud my dogs would bark :)

And that's before and after i changed the cooler to a EK water block as the coils are sealed by caps so paste makes no difference nor hot glue.

But over time it made less noise and now after 8 months it makes none. unless it's above 200 and even then is not loud, about the same a an old hdd's noise

Just give it time and burn them in by increasing your fps imo.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014