Should i buy a 6700k and Z170 or wait for 7th gen?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by G-lad21, Oct 31, 2016.

1. G-lad21

G-lad21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    hey guys, currently using z77 and an i5-3570k. i want to upgrade my pc, do you think gettin an i7-6700k is a noticable upgrade? or should i wait for the 7th gen?

i use the pc mainly for gaming,not demanding games but i like it running all the latest buttery smooth.

thanks for any advice

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You would benefit far more by upgrading your 280's to something like GTX1070 and keeping your Ivy Bridge system that is still capable.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I agree the most likely best upgrade by a large margin is to upgrade your gfx card.
    There are a few situs where a CPU upgrade could benefit, it would help to know if you are having performance problems and with what.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The 280X's no doubt do a not-too bad of a job, and will probably be okay for the medium term.

There are three options for you. The first is to leave things status quo, and then upgrade to Zen next year. The second option is to sell your 280X's and get a RX480. Keeping performance I guess not too far from it, but you can then sell your 280X's and the changeover will have little or no overall cost. Then, upgrade to Zen next year and the 580 series. Remember the 480 will have better resale when the 580 comes out than the 280X's, so in effect, you would be gaining by going a 480. The third option is the GTX 1070, however that costs more.

Kaby Lake is (presumably) faster than Skylake but not massively so. If you do decide to upgrade it would make sense at least waiting for it than rushing out and buying something now since there is little need. It's better than buying outdated stuff. If you do get a good deal on the current stuff, make sure it's a good deal overall and not a wolf in sheeps' clothing. What I mean is one place may say the combo is $100 off, but it's hardly a bargain if that place costs $80 more for the parts in the combo than other places. You would probably want a saving of say, $50 at least to make it worthwhile. This figure would be more if the difference between the incoming and outgoing tech's performance were greater. It's a little bit hard to quantify though with different motherboards and specs etc.

5. G-lad21

G-lad21 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1070@ACX3.0
    Guys...sry but i didn't update my profile for a long time, i did sell my 280's and got a Fury instead. i had many CF issues back in the day and i had to sell them. but i feel like BF1 is stuttering a bit and i'm pretty sure its the CPU, i have a 4k monitor aswell, i really do like my gpu and i think its time for a new cpu. the question is how better will the 7th gen be than 6th or did you even mention an AMD possibility?

Thanks

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Kaby Lake is currently unknown, but it is just a refresh of Skylake so the performance difference isn't expected to be huge. The release is fairly shortly though, so if you hold of it makes sense.

The AMD Zen is also a somewhat unknown, but AMD did do a demonstration with an engineering sample 8 core, 16 thread against the Broadwell-E 8 core, 16 thread (remember the i7-6700K is only 4 cores with hypterthreading 8 thread), running at 3 GHz, and the Zen pulled ahead. The price should be considerably less than the Broadwell-E though.

The final clock speed is still an unknown, you can't really take the 3 GHz as representative of the final product since engineering samples are known to be lower clocked.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check to see if you are CPU limited, no point guessing.
    Use resource monitor.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Is your 3570K overclocked at all? If not OC it to 4.2-4.3Ghz see what happens. scrap that just noticed your running 4.5ghz

Do you have the latest graphics drivers also!?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If you were @ 1080p, a 6700k should make a nice difference. @ 4k not so much if at all.

10. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Your CPU should be more than enough for the current crop of games.

Stuttering could be caused by RAM speed. I would pick up some 2400MHz ram if I were you. Should see a good bump in performance.