upgrading an 5820k to xeon v3/ 780 ti sli --->1080 SC acx3 sli, will psu+case suffice

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by er557, Oct 10, 2016.

1. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    was looking for a small boost for the box(gaming, media server, office, multi tasking, vmware) , currently:
    i7 5820k+ msi x99s gaming 7 + 32gb ddr4 quad @2.4ghz (gskill)+ 2x gtx 780 ti SLI + 4k phillips 40" monitor
    + zalman 1000gvm psu+ zalman z12 plus box + 6x hdd multi tera
    (not overclocked)

upgrade:
    xeon e5-2686 v3 haswell-EP 2.3ghz--->turbo 3.5ghz @18 cores/36 threads (399$)
    evga gtx 1080 SC acx 3.0 (870$ x 2)(not online)
    evga HB sli pro bridge (40$)

so I will be getting 40 pcie lanes instead of 28, possible cpu overclock if turns out to be unlocked(QS stepping<=retail), I suppose my case and psu are up for it?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Get a 5930K or a 6850k, not a low clocked 18 core.

You will see a performance deficit with that CPU.

1080s use 100 watts less than a 780ti so if PSU is fine now, no reason it wouldn't be after 1080s.

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yes you will have 40 PCI lanes,regarding the spec should be OK and should be up to ob

I've run E5-2683v3 which has run 2.0GHz and Turbo has been 2.3GHz,this has been QS model which means has been hampered on speed size

Regarding the OC on those new Xeon,they have locked multipliers and you can only OC BCLK,which can be done as max 105.5MHz,only unlocked models are E5-16xx V3 range which do have unlocked multipliers,but some have locked multi

In gaming hard to say,have run and not been very impressed as my Xeon has been as I said hampered on this side and 2.3GHz is not so much there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

4. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    OK, thanks jura, forgot to mention the cpu cooler- arctic i30,
    your QS was not hampered, only earlier steppings/ ES are, QS is same as oem, what was max turbo? did you set the speed bins in bios to max? that part is not locked.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

My turbo max has been only 2.3GHz

Yes everything has been set in BIOS etc,but I couldn't hit higher speed like 2.3GHz without the OC,with BCLK OC I could hit 2.38GHz and that's it...

Not sure if you can or could OC yours higher,its lottery sometimes,I know friend have E5-2683v3 OEM and he can OC his through the BCLK up to 105.5

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    although, xeons like their bclk @default, otherwise some usb issues may arise as the chipset works that way, it is connected,; and xeons are more oriented towards stable long term environments, not 1% OC here and there.
    I may not even touch such OC methods, what can be done with ES/QS is set the speed limit on all cores to max so they all turbo max while keeping or crossing TDP limit. also, sometimes the cpu just does not see fit to raise clocks and thinks it is handling fine

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Have run for while with OC BCLK,which didn't caused any issue although with ES chip I've run to few issues on my ASRock board as I've got lower IOPS,but this has been down to ES chip,with normal or OEM Xeon no issues and my IOPS has been like with i7-5820k

Those issues has been more common on other chipsets not on X99 what I know,as many people running with 125MHz strap their i7-5820k/5930k or 5960x or newer Broadwell E CPU,due this I don't think you will have any issues with running at higher BCLK clocks there

As I said yours OC will be limited on yours chosen Xeon limited,only trough the BCLK is possible this chip to OC and gain bit performance although is not worth it at all as you said

You can set speed limit on all cores to max,which can works,but this depends on SW used,as many games still don't support multi core or won't allow you to start game(GTA V)

If you do rendering,then that's great news there,have run Xeon and still have Xeon which I use for rendering mainly and i7-5820k I'm keeping for gaming and other tasks

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

8. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    Build project is under way, for the time being added 16gb ram(=48gb total), added samsung 500gb ssd, first benchmark of crystal mark.
    Funny the game stutters are gone due to the ssd, even still with the 780 ti sli

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://imgur.com/a/P1NTP?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  9. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Be very weary, you will only be able to use the bclk to overclock and even then, very little if any.

Also, you might want to use a program called ThrottleStop, I always use this program for my setup, uses the cpu usages throughout the all the available cores,threads,etc, more effectively.

Yes it does help.

They can't overclock with a darn but with proper loads + throttlestop program, some of my cpu's can go high as almost 3.5ghz, at times it can go on all cores over 2.9ghz easy.

There is ways in the bios to keep the cpu at its max overclock speed at all times rather then going by load,etc but I did that once and some of my cores was not running at max speed at all times, and once I put alot of load on the cpus, it went from 2.9ghz to like 2.8 and under, so I revert back to normal settings and using along with throttlestop, never switched back.

Xeons are nice but single core speed, forget it, the K destroys it due to its massive oc potential.

But if your doing like folding@home, Rosetta@home, cpu rendering,etc, you might want to look at the xeons, they will perform better due to higher core count.

Far as overall gaming is concerned, I would highly recommended probably going to the k series as they can overclock much better, alot of games will not use all 12+ cores, maybe 4/8 tops, so its good to have a much higher core frequency then more cores in the long run, if your gaming like 1440p and under, depending on game, you will see fps increase from the overclock k series, but gaming like 4k with sick quality settings, its becoming basically gpu bound at that point so dual xeons, k series, probably wont matter much then, but I would still go for at least 6+ core and have at least the multiplier unlocked for gaming under 4k.

But overall, I don't got any problems here, prettie good thus far.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    UPDATE: all is up and running, image uploaded,

I can max any game @4k ultra with AA, plus the vmware guests resume way more faster now, this is the pc of tomorrow, it should last many years

http://imgur.com/a/DT8Ho