Card to Buy - Car Racing Simulation

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by N0sferatU, Aug 29, 2016.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I played with a friend's setup this weekend and really enjoyed it.

It's been years since I've kept track of what's the latest and greatest these days so I'm looking for advice from those who follow this more than me.

He recommended an NVIDIA GTX 980. Is this a good card to purchase? Is there anything else coming out soon I should consider holding off for now?

Thanks!

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Budget?

1070 is probably the best option right now.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Depend how much you want to spend on a GPU.

1060/1070 sound like a good option. If you wish to stay with AMD, rx470/480.

4. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

To play project cars @ 4k which looks amazing, I recommend an nvidia card at least 980ti or higher. I currently play @ 6k resolution with my gtx1080 which looks pretty darn realistic. This card also plays F1 2016 @ 4k at the minimum 60 fps. I tried 6k but it turns into some sort of trippy light show which was cool and made me want to candy flip. Anywho I had the RX480 before the 1080 and 1440p was solid but getting into 4k, I had to turn down some eye candy and AA etc.. Asetto Corsa is in the same catagory. IMO, getting a great wheel and RX480 will be the most beneficial for sim racing and learning how to tweak the wheel has been fun to tinker with, and you REALLY see the benefits of tweaking hardware with that. I recommend a G920 if you have xbox one and the G29 if you have PS. Also, considering the Forza series is coming to windows 10, I'd reccommend the G920 even moreso as it is also xbox one compatible, and tuning that wheel would be obviously easier probably. Forza 6 apex is free from the M$ store, albiet with no wheel support at the time being. A RX480 and G920 would cost @ $600, which is what I did at first. Then 2 weeks later got an ASUS ROG Strix by returning the 480, Then after finding out I didnt have the OC edition, returned that card to Fry's and got my extremely OCable, EVGA ACX3.0 GTX1080 OCed right out of the box.

5. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    If you need a good 980 I have mine on sale! PM me for details.

6. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I just need the games to be playable at 1080p. Playable at 4K is great for futureproofing. The PC it's going into is an older machine but I did overbuild it at the time CPU/mobo-wise. It's an Intel Core i7-3820 (3.6Ghz) with the LGA2011 chipset. I'm assuming I have enough CPU to run this. Project Cars plays decent on it already as is with a (don't laugh too hard) AMD Radeon HD 7900.

I don't need 4K at the moment as the "monitor" is a projector to a 150" screen. It's 1080p and 3D capable.

I wasn't looking to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on a video card. The higher series NVIDIA cards looked astronomically expensive.

I was looking for a wheel setup. I've used the G27 before that's what my friend had with a "modified shifter" he said. He recommended to go with Thrustmaster with clutch and H shifter and if you don't care about price look at Fanatec. I don't console game so I don't care if it's XboxOne compatible or not.

I'm thinking this is cheaper than racing my actual cars IRL to keep my hobby fun from a different angle. :)

There's a bit more details...also to the other guy, you'll have a PM shortly.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

T300 or T500 are supposed to be great wheels. I can honestly tell you I had a Thrustmaster Ferrari challenge wheel and I am extremely happy with my g920. It's got leather gripping, 11" wheel size, 900 degree rotation, self calibration check, metal pedals, (very firm brake) and of course the force feedback is very controllable to be weak or strong and gives you great feel of bumps road tire grip and track. As for the gfx card, I guess all you need is a gtx 1060 or RX 480. Both are @ $250-$300 and will play everything you want to play racing-wise at the resolution your looking at. I'm in Northern CA, so Sonoma and Laguna Seca are close by tracks here and luckily I can simulate my 370Z pretty well on them in game. This spring I am hitting those tracks hard in my 370z.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I would have look on used 980Ti or even Titan X those cards recently dropped to reasonable prices or GTX1070,with GTX 980 alone you will struggle in higher resolution,but for 1080p you should be OK for time being

G27 is still great steering wheel with few upgrades you should have still capable steering wheel,G29 is simple sh1t,have this one and sold it after 1 week as this steering wheel is not what I thought so

Thrustmaster wheels such as T500RS is probably best with Fanatec if you are really want something best for racing,have tried Clubsport version which I loved

Regarding pCars,its not the best game for simulation but that's my view,have tried all of them and still love iRacing and Life for Speed with few other games,Assetto Corsa is my favourite

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura