980 Ti Overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by maxx126, Nov 22, 2015.

1. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Like TK said above, my previous cards were blowing hot air out of the case so each one of them was in practice an exhaust. This one however is not. I cannot feel any hot air coming from back side of the card but if I open the case I can feel hot air blowing inside of the case from the leftmost and rightmost part of the cooler so the way this cooler work is very different than the ones I had before.

This doesn't explain why is opening the case cover not helping though. I guess I need a VERY powerful front fan with pretty much nothing blocking it's way. The one I have certainly helpful but not that much it seems.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I don't buy the SLI blowing hot air out of the case theory, I never have.

Putting that aside, the fact that opening the case doesn't help confirms that the graphics card cooler is the problem.

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Either the cooling is $hit or thermal paste is applied $hit or case airflow is $hit.

Issue resolved.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    What is the room temperature where your PC is kept? Are you sure the case fans are placed properly, intake pulling air in and exhaust actually exhausting.

Take a pic of your setup, let us see.

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I have 980 ti HOF running at 73-75C max and that's only when hammering the card very hard. On witcher full graphics I get about 75C max and that's only at certain areas. Maybe upload a picture to describe your airflow.

move that sound card to the very top slot of your motherboard. You should have a slot right above your GPU. I have my sound card just above the GPU and it works well. Sometimes when there's some cold wind coming into my room my card doesn't go above 65C 1500RPM.

Also another thing is to make sure the pc is not right up against a wall, table, etc in other words don't block the fans have enough room for it to actually do something. I know some people that will just put their pc inside a cabinet or against a wall or something so fans practically useless.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    frlair: yes fans are placed properly but because of the case my options of placement is very limited. Room temperature is fine.

DiceAir: My temperature when playing Witcher 3 is fine as well, problem happens when I'm playing very taxing games like Assasin's Creed Syndicate at 1440p max settings. And my positioning is exactly like you said, sound card is above the gpu.

It seems like a lost cause with this case since it is absymal.

For now I set the power limit to %70 so it'll pretty much never boost and that made the temperatures acceptable for now and I ordered http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case.

I will update here when I set it up.

7. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    Really? I have a sticker on top of my gpu, as long as it's intact my warranty is fine. Beside the fact that it's just about to run out anyways.

8. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
  9. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Why? That case has glowing reviews everywhere including this site. Not to mention it looks great inside to me.

10. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Because you've already proved the case isn't the problem when you took the cover off and it made no difference to temperatures.

11. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Correct me if I'm wrong but opening the case cover does not magically push the air around so if this card is getting very hot very quickly in theory opening the case won't be enough because hot air will still focused in that area.

Pushing air over it from the front should help to get the heat out of the case from the back and that case has 2 14cm fans on front and one of them is directly in front of the graphics card so I think it'll help.

Even if it won't help, it'll still be a good change. If you would have seen my current case you would laugh at me :)

Here it is http://m1311.hizliresim.com/1h/8/ubgvn.jpg

It served me well over the years, I don't even remember how many graphics card this case has seen. But it is time to move on :D

12. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    No. Opening the case will allow those 3 fans on the GPU to blow plenty of air around. Hot air will escape and the air that goes through the radiator will be more or less ambient temperature.

The fact that you had SLI in there with no problems, running cooler than a single card with a huge HSF is another indicator that your case is not the problem.

Yes it's certainly an upgrade but unfortunately I'm 90% sure that you're also going to have to fix your graphics card to get the temperatures down.

13. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Maybe just a Kraken bracket and a Corsair H55? this helped me big time with my hot top card, was a fairly cheap solution as well:)

14. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    southamptonfc: The way I see (feel by hand) it, those 3 fans push air to the cooler and hot air comes out from the sides of the card into the case and unless something else inside of the case push that air out, left and right fans pull that hot air hence create a loop. But I am not an expert on these matters so we'll see. I hope you're not right :)

zimzoid: There is a warranty sticker over one of the screws of cooler so if I try to mess with it, it'll be out of warranty. So any modification to the card is out of question. But I might try tightening the other screws if they are loose.

In the worst scenario, I'll just let it run hot and if it dies send it back to get my money back because I know they won't get it back if I just send it back saying it's getting too hot.

I'll update here later if anything changes.

Thanks everyone

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  15. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    @ Diceair it doesnt matter if u set your pc close to a wall as long it wont block the hot air out of the case, heat always rise sooner or later, if it can escape its fine.

16. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
    Reverse the fan on the door so it is exhausting air from around the card out of the case.

The air 540 is nice, (I have one). I would suggest buying two additional 140mm fans and placing them at the top as exhaust fans. (2 in front sucking in, and 2 at top and 1 at back sucking out.)

Be sure that you have reinstalled all drivers, (Maybe use DDU), and reinstall Afterburner (If that is what you use to OC), as something may be left from the last cards.

Good luck, You will be pleased with the case.

Here is a pic of my build, to help you gauge the airflow potential.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  17. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    good move bro,by upgrading the case don't forget to add or upgrading the case fan's to..check your gpu thermal paste&pads is for sure,apply good thermal paste will be more juice performance,generally 980Ti with air cooled can running 1500+/8000+:)

18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    not only for airflow did you made the right choice. I have this case because of the great airflow. Try with stock fans first then if you can upgrade 2 3x 120mm fans.

This is what i did with my case. I have the h100 at top with fans on inside exhausting then 3x cougar 120mm fans in front as intake. Then have the stock fan at back as exhaust. This works really well. Also let my front fans run on full speed when gaming. Yesterady I played Battlefield on ultra without AA 1440p and never saw my card even reach 65C on 2000RPM and it's so quiet.

19. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    I setup the new case. It looks good and practical and temperatures got better but

a) It is TOO LOUD with stock fans connected to motherboard (so they are not running %100 all the time) so I need to somehow do something about this.

b) When I tried Assasin's Creed Syndicate again, whole computer reset itself after sometime (maybe 10 minutes). I tried it 2 times and it reset 2 times. Considering the fact that only the case itself changed and nothing else I have no idea why it happens. It never happened to me before today. :(

Card is always running at ~1400 Mhz by the way. I thought 1290 is max boost for this card and I haven't overclocked anything.

20. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    I can do 1080p and 1440p firestrike benchmarks without any issue but the second I try to run 4k one, system resets.

I captured this graph (http://imgur.com/3A8P8dy) when doing firestrike is it normal for me to hit OV max limit (as far as I know it is bad) considering I haven't done any overclocking.

And like I said before card works ~1400Mhz all the time now since it is not getting hot anymore.