7470M lag in open areas, even on older games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by stuffaa, Jun 9, 2013.

1. stuffaa

stuffaa Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Tri-X
    Hello, I have quite an issue.

I understand my "computer" is a crappy one, but it still beats the game requirements for the game I'm trying to play.. (mine is AMD E-450 1.6ghz and HD7470M 1GB).

When I enter open areas in the game, my frames drop alot, near to point where the game comes unusuable.

Let's take Counter-Strike (original, not source of global offensive). When I enter open areas, my FPS drop from 50 or something to <20. Game itself has very low requirements compared to today's PCs.

Requirements vs Specs:
    and if this changes anything, the gpu and memory clocks are 800 MHz.[gpu-z]
    For christ sake, the game is from 2000 and my PC is from 2011 !!!

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. stuffaa

stuffaa Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Tri-X
    bumping, this is weird.

3. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    lower your settings, use a high fps config.

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Hmm if i can recall CS ran better when you set the video setting to OpenGl instead of Direct3D. Cant remember how it was. MIght re-install it to test.

5. stuffaa

stuffaa Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Tri-X
    Thank you 2 for your responses.

Tried this already, didn't do much difference.

I am already using OpenGL, with atioglxx.dll set manually.
    Also, for your information: Direct3D was removed in update this year from counter-strike.

Also I had problem when first launching it after downloading the game from Steam. I had to set "Software"(terrible graphics, bad framerate) mode from steam launch options and then set the OpenGL and low quality models on Video settings. But after I manually installed atioglxx.dll to Counter-Strike folder and implemented it into the game, OpenGL with regular/HD textures worked fine.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  6. stuffaa

stuffaa Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Tri-X
    bump, last post was 4 days ago.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Tried XP?

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Hmm. Not sure try the console while in game and write "cl_cmdrate 101" and "rate 9999" for highest values. Also try using Direct 3D for AMD/ATI cards. I remember OpenGL was mostly used for NV cards back in the days.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    These are network related cvars.

As for poor performance of CS, game is really old, but runs on really new engine.
    Today's HL.exe is very different from one made in 1998. At that time it was possible to use glide/3dfx/ogl/direct3d/soft and any 3d library you put in game.
    resolutions were possible from 320x200 up.
    It run at iPentium 120+ with 2MB graphics on software. At time CS beta got released minimum resolution was already forced to 640x480, glide/3dfx was gone. And one needed 300MHz CPU to have playable game.

Game further evolved, added compatibility for newer systems and cost are specs which increased.
    It was always CPU bound game, but in case of E-450 where both parts are nor extra strong, and you actually fluctuate based on amount of space (textures/polygons) on screen.
    I would try software mode it it makes difference. If it does it's weak GPU, if it's same then it's CPU and there is nothing you can do.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And one more thing, make sure that you are using 7470 and not 6320 in games. GPU-Z have at 1st screen selection menu so run it twice and pick 2nd card in 2nd window, then in Sensors tab you have GPU load graph.

11. stuffaa

stuffaa Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Tri-X
    Thank you all for responses.

It seems to stay at @275MHz on 6320 but it sometimes jumps from 800 to 400 MHz on 7470.. about memory only the 7470's memory is being used..

It is known that the both GPUs are used at the same time, and it cant be turned off, AFAIK.

EDIT: Forgot to mention GPU load. On 7470 it goes up to 20%, but on 6320 it says on 0%.

Thanks.

I prefer not downgrading OS just for a game, I have tried it before and it didn't provide positive results.

I repeat, OpenGL and Software are only options available now, Direct3D has been removed for some reason, some say it's because its outdated.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013