CoolIT ALC ECO review - Budget Liquid Cooling [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 14, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

CoolIT ALC ECO review.

A short while ago CoolIT introduced their ALC ECO. The ALC series are single self contained water-cooling based unit that are very easy to install. They looks nice and performs...

More...

2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    damn, i was hoping guru would compare it to the h50.

3. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Saw a bunch of these at Frys Electronics.

4. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea me too, I think I will get this instead of the h50 since I can go and pick it up locally. Great numbers from it.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I do not have the H50 anymore but I do know that the differential inbetween the two is like 1 maybe 2 degrees C at best.

The benefit of the ECO however is that the fan can be pointed outwards (exhausting) to reach these numbers. As such personally I'd opt the ALC ECO.

6. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I have a cosmos 1000 what if I mounted it to exhaust upwards since I can mount it to the top fan on my case. Should that effect temps any?

7. 99Random

99Random New Member

GPU:
    BFG 285
    I have had two products from CoolIt. A few years ago I bought the Eliminator and it was defective right out of the box. It took three weeks to get an RMA. Two years ago I bought the Domino. After 18 months the coolant leaked from a defective seam on the cpu cooling block. This destroyed the motherboard and video card. After sending in pictures of the leaking coolant it took a week to get the RMA. It was 6 weeks from the time I sent it in to when I received the replacement.

Since you have to change the motherboard back plate to change the cooler, this meant I needed to totally disassemble the systems multiple times. I have worked with other companies that will send a replacement with a credit card deposit and only charge you if the defective part does not arrive. No such offer from CoolIt.

Even though I am two for two on failures with their products, I still feel the products are solid. A shame that customer support is really lacking.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys, I received some promotion codes for this unit (USA). If interested check the last paragraph where you can find links to the product for as low as 54 USD.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Anywhere that ships to Canada? Those links I checked seem to be US only.

10. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I would have liked to see Hilbert do a head-to-head comparison of the Domino ALC vs. the ECO ALC to see if the one cools better then the other, but they're probabaly about the same since the radiator is nearly the same and the waterblock is about the same.

I have the Domino ALC cooling my Core i7 940 and it really keeps it cool.

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I havent seen a single return on them yet, so Im guessing they are either pretty easy to install or just work well. The corsair H50 gets returned so often because its pretty retarded to put together at first. This unit is fairly easy from what I see. Doesnt have a bunch of rings, plastic, and skrews to mess with.

With these easy watercooling setups, I would still only recommend you pick it up if its on sale. I bought my Corsair H50 for $50, and Im pretty happy with it. If I was willing to pay the full $80, then I would just look at a high end air HSF.

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm not sure if I would jump on one of these at full price, but both tigerdirect and newegg have them for $54-55 after rebate - I don't think you can beat that deal. :D

13. yuri.mitsuk

yuri.mitsuk Member Guru

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2gb unlock'd
    darn I was hoping to see a review against the corsair h50 and that other prebuilt cooler, i think it was the A.L.C domino. That would have been a nice compare..

14. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Ummm....

15. Helios1234

Helios1234 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX570
    There's one in the review linked there: http://blog.corsair.com/

16. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    looks a really good low price cooling system , would be nice to see it on a amd system for mounting and temps

17. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    I'm happy with my H50 as well, as for the setup- If you can't figure it out you probably shouldn't be putting together computers (unless the instructions are in a different language from what you can understand, in which case it's an exception).

And you can mount them both facing out, I have mine facing up in my case to exhaust the air from a 4ghz 1.55 vcore 955, get about 37 idle and 50 load.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  18. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
  19. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Have had mine in for two weeks and all I can say is wow! Well worth the money. Great build quality and temps haven't gone over 70c under load in games and 80c in prime 95

20. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Just got one of these and replaced my stalwart Noctua dual fan tower.
    I am not as impressed as others. I do not know what I have done wrong but my idle temps of my 4ghz i7 920 was sub 50's with Noctua, now there running 55 58 at CPU idle. How do I know if the pump is running at max or running at all? I am using a Gigabyte x58 UD5 board with weirdly placed CPU fan connecters on the board.
    Room temp is around 20 deg cels.
    Is the pump getting enough power etc?