08G-P4-6386-KR 14phase power worth it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sava700, Sep 5, 2016.

1. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    As title states.... I've been watching for this model but its not sold anywhere.
    Is it worth holding out for vs the 6286 with the 10phase power with a lower power consumption that appears to have the same clocks?

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No one in their right mind memorizes serial numbers. I mean I know we are all smart-o tech geeks.... but really?

Why would you make anyone who wanted to help Google the serial numbers so they know what they hell you are talking about. No one in there right mind calls it "the 6286", its the FTW model. The other one is the Classified model.

I'm not trying to be rude. But that just really strange to be a member on here since '05, over 4k post. Anyway...

The Classified might overclock more, that is really what you pay for. You pay for a better chance in the silicon lottery. But as we have learned, even the FE cards can OC more then a 2x 8-pin PCIE connected card.

With the cooler keeping the temps below 80C, the extra power supplied to the card is supposed to also loosen the power threshold. These two are the main things that throttle your cards speed when you overclock. But, none of that can fix a lesser quality silicone.

I personally would get the FTW addition. Especially for the 1080, There is a VERY small delta when it comes to these new cards, and extra phases, PCIE pins, whatever, doesn't seem to really be a factor in hitting the covenanted 2.1GHZ.

3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Classified is way over priced, common, 750 before tax for an 1080? A rip off IMO.
    1080 FTW on the other hand is the smarter choice. Still expensive but I would say it's the best 1080 all around. Had 1070FTW and it's a top quality card.

4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

It was the easiest way I could reference it at the time to keep things exactly on subject and avoid someone asking me the numbers.

I'm really looking at the difference between the 10 and 14 power phases.

5. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    No matter what you get, luck will play a big part in your OC. I for one think the FTW is the best deal EVGA has. It's only $30 more than the SC but has a fully custom PCB, faster default clocks, a bigger cooler, a 2nd 8 pin and more power phases. Once you jump to the Classy though, you're spending another $70 over the FTW and the only notable difference is a few extra and frankly unneeded power phases.

If it helps you any, my local Micro Center has and had plenty of both and I went with the FTW. So far I am very happy with the card in all regards and I boost up to 2177 and never dip below 2100, while using the stock fan curve no less. That's better than I have seen any of the Classifieds do in the reviews.