Moving browser profile ( firefox, IE, opera .. )

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by goblinsly, Jan 27, 2015.

1. goblinsly

goblinsly Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 260 GTX
    Hi there,

I am trying to move firefox, opera, chrome, ie, profiles to a different location. Right now when i run any of this browsers, most disk usage comes from appdata/roaming and other locations, even if i install them on different partition/disk. The reason is that i have a small ssd disks that i want to test running internet browser. But right now its not going well since like i said, even if i install them on ssd drive, they are using the c:/ drive for their operations.

ps: i do intend to install windows on SSD and then i wont have this problem, however it will be a while before i do that. Until then i want to do some tests.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. goblinsly

goblinsly Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 260 GTX
    Hmm i am not sure you understand what i want to do. I have 3 disks right now. First disk has partitions C: and D:, second disk has F: and third disk has G:
    I installed windows on C:. I want my firefox to use resources of disk G: not C:. Allright so i install it on G: But the problem is that when i check disk usage i see that firefox is still using resources of C: not G: I need to tell it to use only resources from G:

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't think you can 100% remove an app from accessing the Windows installation at some point during usage.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right I get you, at a guess, and don't ask me how to do it, I think you'd need to edit this

[​IMG]

6. goblinsly

goblinsly Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 260 GTX
    Thank you for all the answers,

I did a little more digging and it would appear that it is not to smart to change those windows folders for all the problems. That being said i need to trick firefox somehow. I read that 1 possible solution is to create a shortcut to its profile. So when it accesses its profile at lets say c:\users\****\something\something\profile.firefox, that.firefox will actualy be shortcut to g:\realfirefoxprofile\profile.firefox

Thought i am testing right now and it would appear that about half the disk work is being done on windows partition and half on partition on which firefox is installed. Which would appear to be ok since work load is divided. Will look into it more.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Think that's called a Symbolic Link

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Not sure about Chrome, but for Firefox just make shortcut to Firefox and add -p to it

Example "Firefox.exe" -p

Run the shortcut and it It will open profile manager to firefox (works it 3rd party builds too) there you can create the name and location of profile. been doing it like this for years.