Blocking kodi??

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by tsunami231, Apr 10, 2016.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So i know there is "streaming" site/app called Kodi, and I was wonder if Some one know away to BLOCK it via router so as people cant stream from it??

I have AC66U using MerlinFW I know I can block things via it or I can block it via DNS filters like Opendns or Comododns, but I dont know what IP i need to block.

I know with DNS filter I can do per mac address via the router, but other way block it from all and dont with with HTTPS?

Prefer app/program/ works just the steams get terminated via router or dns but I will take what ever.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    It uses 8080 by default I think but you risk blocking them from web servers period.What have you got roommates that are hogging your bandwidth?

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    have sister that streams stuff endless from but also, DVR things endless the DVR has 70+ thing recording she dont want or delete yet complains about they have nothing to watch, a result the dvr is getting full. if i block kodi it forces her to watch the crap she keep DVR, as it is I already limited all her devices to like 5mbit but that wont be enough to cripple kodi

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    quite a funny post, most people i have seen are trying to get it unblocked not blocked lol

if its QOS you are worried about, can you not just enforce this on the router and limit her bandwidth rate?

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    As already pointed out, blocking the default port that it used, 8080, it will most likely affect other services.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Kodi isn't a site its an app. Is she using it on the PC or does she have a streaming box with Kodi installed?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Use QoS in the router to limit her IP/MAC bandwidth?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah this my only option i think, but sadly I can either have QOS or Bandwidth limiter on ac66u not both

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Does your router have the traffic monitor that shows traffic of specific programs apps? My ac87u has this, maybe you can block the app or dig to see what IPs the app is connecting to.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont think so, atlest I never seen it. 380.58 Merlin FW had a "APP" thing on the main page, I reverted back to 380.57 So i didnt really look,

I doubt it though, the AC66U is first gen and single core i doubt it has the power to do that, it barrely has power to run QOS on and break 100mbit

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    if she's using a pc just block her from the router and when she asks you to fix her internet you just need to adjust her firewall to block that thing, no need to hog your router with that :p

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No such luck she knows better then to ask me for anything, cause all she does is complain so all i do is ignore her.

and no i dont have access to here stuff see it as pw there for i dont even fix her stuff when it breaks.if i actual managed to get access to it and adjusted her firewall she will just bring the idiot that keep undoing the change i put on her stuff for reason. that person deals with the stuff she constantly breaks.

IF it blocks from router she can say anything to me, cause i the one that control the internet and router.

I can her block from internet but I rather just DNS filter block kodi like I can with netflix on her mac addresses.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    You can with Netflix because it's a single ip Kodi is just an app that basically lists the streams from a **** load of different ips so not possible to ip block.That leaves just bandwidth limiting.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I was gonna reply yesterday the same thing, KODI is just a media player, the IPs are all gonna be different depending which streams are being played, so you'd need to know which streams she plays a lot, and block those IPs, but that might not even work if they have multiple IPs for the same stream

Just QoS her entire machine down to 1meg or something

MAC address should do

[​IMG]

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like I said I cant Bandwidth limit her on the AC66U with asus or MErlin FW.

My choice is either traditinal QOS, which is needed or Bandwidth limiter.

And the Mac address property that do limit bandwidths in traditinal QOS, only limits said mac address to those speeds, IF there multiple other device using the internet of higher prority. When there is it limit said device to like 5mbit.

Maybe 1 day Asus will implement Bandwidth limiting in to traditional QOS, I guess I will just random make her think her device is broke, and block her internet connection and certain times of the day when she does this.

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Big question here is who's paying the internet bill? lol

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my father, i just control the router and internet in the house, let me rephrase that Im the person that get to deal with all the tech in the house, if i want to or not, and I cant out right block her stuff with out open a can of she wont shutup. which will open another can of issues..

Which why i wanted to silently block on router.

IF i payed for internet and the dish bill i would removed her dish box and internet access by now. our DVR box is full cause she record things she dont watch and delete cause she to busy steaming stuff.

18. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    can you set remote access? I tried that a while ago, every once in a while I would block a dude's phone while I was on class, so when I got home they cant possibly figure out it was intentional, then after they get used to it just block them for days or weeks any time you want, "its their phone acting up" you could say

if you cant limit bandwidth with that asus router just buy a cheap tplink one and hook it up to a free port on the asus, reserve some static IPs for offending users, then go to bandwidth limiter and you can set a filter to only apply a bandwidth limit to those IPs, or just limit the entire thing since it could have its own subnetwork

and gossh do I hate those services, WhatsApp has like a truckload of IPs from every continent, its damn near impossible to block it without blocking other useful stuff, I tried blocking it a while ago so my gf would stop texting me through that phone-only PITA while I was on my pc

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right sorry, traditional QoS with just priority settings?

Been using DD-WRT for so long I assumed it was the same QoS on all

Send her entire connection through a crappy proxy :D

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah just priorty settings. and not sure I can do that on asus merlin fw I know i can put certian connections threw a vpn but that requires me to have accesss to said devices