Router Jitter (black magic?)

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by kuatemachu, May 3, 2016.

1. kuatemachu

kuatemachu Guest

GPU:
    Corsair 16gb
    I found this really interesting problem with my network that I cannot fix. My ISP is Rogers (Canada) and their lovely tech team have not been able to even notice that my network has an issue.

This is my problem:

When I game online there is significant rubber band and random intervals (different games different regions)

When I test in pingtestDOTnet i get an average of 50-60 ping and a range of 18 to 59 jitter! (yea jitter is bad this is bad)

What test I have done:

Almost every kind of test I have done and everything points to the router/modem combo.

I tested a cat5 cable and pinged 192.168.0.1 from my computer 192.168.0.10 and the results were all over the place. It went from <1ms to 30ms (WOW I found then issue right? mm kind of)

After feeling like is struck gold I decided to not get carried away and test different cables, same result. Different computers? Same results. Test on a router that i had laying around? All my pings were <1ms.

This tells me that there is a problem with the modem. I decided to call my ISP and request a modem change, this should fix it right? I went to the store got a new modem. Got home and installed it. Tests with a ping from my pc to my gateway same results 1ms-30ms fluctuations, I’m sad.

I decided to give this new modem a chance. Took it to my room (no coaxial cable to bring, so this is an offline test and any outside factors should be eliminated) plugged the modem to my computer with a 3ft brand new cat5 cable and ...... same fluctuation 1ms-30ms. I do not understand what’s going on. I tested everything and even swap modems and the problem is still there. My speed and delays are fine but there is jitter in my connection and cannot play most online games without lag spikes or rubber banding.
    Someone please send help!

I finally got my ISP to put their engineers on my case but have no hope. (This kind of issue is hard to observe from the outside because delay I always expected in the remote tests)

My Equipment:

Modem/Router combo: Hitron cgn3
    Internet package: 250mbps down 20mbps
    MOBO from main testing machine: Asrock Fatal1ty z170

Feel free to ask and suggest testing methods and solutions. I am not foreign to networking and technical terms so go ahead and talk nerdy to me.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You have Router/Modem combo, so it possible new modem/router they gave you is trash, and the old modem/router was much better, try to maybe get them to give you just modem and you get your own router?

If you change cables and same issue then it the modem/router combo

Example I have Asus AC66u connected to a Arris TM822 DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem ( this is not modem/router in one) and everything with in my network that is 1ms or less.

PC/Device>Router>modem

the router and everything the comes before should be 1ms wired not really sure on the wireless part but there should be no 1ms to 30ms jumps with in the network wired.

if you ping the router from your pc should come back 1ms with no 30ms jumps, if it it tell me the router portion of the combo is bad or just badly made.

most people avoid modem/router combos from there isp, if they have no choice in the matter the disable the router function on the combo and put there own router in.

IMO your is is your using the ISP Modem/router Combo, I avoide them even when I had DSL cause they were really bad.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If they are anything like Shaw here in Canada they'll give you the wireless router/modem combo and just shut the router part off if you have your own.So no more separate units.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What Ethernet driver are you running? There are also various settings under the driver and several for Windows as well. If you change the Windows settings keep in mind that tweak programs may not actually choose the most ideal settings. The latest router firmware, Ethernet drivers on the computer, and settings, can make a massive difference in performance and ping times.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Chrome doesn't work with this so IE or FF probably because of the java required.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Java doesn't work with Chrome? (I don't have it installed to test)

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    java has been disabled from chrome i dont think it work anymore atlest not officially

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Saying that, I don't remember the last time FF asked me to enable a Java applet or even install Java for anything

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no i mean Chrome dont allow java anymore, FF still always it and I still have installed but its disable for browsers and I only know of 2 sites that use it, Speedtest.net ping test and dslreports tweak test.

Frankly I only have install cause Visual route lite need it, If i bother to find tracert test I like that is like visual route lite I would probably never install java again

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I just mean it doesn't seem to be used much any more, or at least nowhere that I visit regularly, as FF has never asked me to install it to render a page properly

So disabling it in Chrome doesn't seem such a drastic move

I don't use ping test, speedtest.net shows ping anyway, not bothered about jitter and other stuff really, connection is fine

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    is the router in bridge mode or in gateway mode? if it is bridged. try switching to gateway for a test run.
    is there a firmware upgrade for the cgn3 available for you? -> are you on v4.2.4.6 ?

Last edited: May 11, 2016