who nobody talks about xbox one? is it bad?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Mr.Bigtime, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well Sony Turkey is going sht these days and their game prices r higher than xbox one versions of same game.

iam thinking to go for a xbox one but i see no topics here about it. u guys hate it? why? is it that bad?

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Not it ain't bad just bit less owners. In my opinion it has good games and I do own one. :) And some games like ACU works bit better on X1.

It is a good buy.

Theres the one X1 thread now. There was XBONE thread before but that disappeared.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Don't see the reason to buy an xbox one, even my dual 6850's do better than the next-gen experience of 792p.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont like Microsoft and i despise all things HW coming from Microsoft, so if it good or bad its irreverent to me as will never buy any HW Microsoft made.

I will give MS one thing though there servers are way better then the psn servers by a long shot

5. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    RIGHT?!

and now we are paying for the "ability" to go online with the ps4, why the crap are the servers not incredible? why do they still suck? there is always something wrong. my debit/credit cards never seem to work on psn....Its always a hit or miss. I just buy psn cards off amazon (digital) to avoid the hassle.

@bigtime- for me it was the majority of my friends wanted nothing to do with the xbox this time around, everyone went ps4. Ill get a xbone eventually, just not now with the price as high as it is.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    2 things really hurt Xbox this round. The initial DRM plan, them defending it then later turning around and flipping the switch that couldn't be flipped and the weaker hardware which tends to show slightly in a few games, most notably the 900p/30fps when PS4 has 1080p/30fps.....numbers matter, just like it did during the 16 bit generation.

I think the new price drops and Halo stuff will sell good this shopping season. Most console gamers I know are still on last gen so it might take another year for things to take off.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I am more of an Xbox person because the exclusives are more of the types of games I play. I like mine.

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I had one for a couple of months but really none of the games were that interesting for me and most multiplat games run better/higher resolution on PS4 so it basically became an exspensive paper weight which ended up getting sold.

I really dislike using kinect and navigating the UI with the controller was just plain horrible.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Id wait till more games are released Bigtime. Right now unless youre into forza or that sunshine game is your thing, there really is nothing worth grabbing one for. Even with the latest patch, halo collection mp is still being reported as broken, whether it be matchmaking or ingame features.

Id hold of till atleast jan.

10. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Well, Xbox lost most of exclusives during last gen by being stupid (Bizzare, Molyneux/Lionhead, Bungie, Epic, things they doing to Rare).

XO is weaker than PS4, some games are running 720p, many 900p and somewhere between, only few in 1080p.

Microsoft marketing before console release. They wanted One to be always online (for reasons well known) they said some bad things (don't remember exactly) about people who can't be always connected, guy who said that was fired btw, and honestly, who knows what they'll do in next years, they might bring back always online idea.

Packing every console with Kinect, was changed later, but still. Making console cost much more (don't remember specific numbers) for something that they don't even bother to support anymore, there is no one good game announced or released for it. For X360 they at least were trying to do something, now it's there only because they spend millions of $ to develop it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well Lionhead is still part of MS, Epic is hardly making games anyway they have a new studio to do the gears of war. Bizarre Creations died after being sold to activision tho pgr games were awesome.

Rare did some fantastic games at beginning of 360 life those were viva pinata games. Bungie left out of their own volition and 343 Industries is doing fine job at making new Halo games.

Albeit they chew a bit too big piece with mcc considering the 4 games are way different on multiplayer side so it causes rather big stress on servers and makes it a nightmare to fix, should have been beta tested to avoid this.

So nope they did not exactly lose exclusives apart from pgr franchise. And they did gain some.

12. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    That's not true. It was just a connect once a day to verify games are legit. You could do that over a tethered phone in seconds if you really had to.

Most of the people complaining had their existing console connected 24/7 to their eternally on home router, but the moment the Internet hate machine started rolling, everyone had an obscure uncle they wanted to stay with for a week where there was no phone reception at all.

And there were very good reasons for having the check - it would make plastic discs obsolete technology. Imagine being able to sell or lend a game instantly to someone on the other side of the country.

The amount of misinformation flying around about the XB1 was staggering. And some people revelled in repeating it even if you proved to them that they were wrong or had no evidence.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    There are definitely places even now that can't get internet or it is still far too unreliable, even in the UK.

You don't know the bandwidth requirements for this check either.

Or hey, shock horror, what if a parent doesn't want their child using xbox live at all? Or someone who wants to play games (in a few years when the price has dropped on the One) but can't afford additional internet. And something tells me phones wouldn't permit tethering. You've even got stevevnicks weird situation from another thread where he doesn't have a bank account for some crazy reason so can't sign up for internet except PAYG rip off stuff.

14. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
  15. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    You don't know how it was supposed to be.
    First informations were talking about always online, then they started talking about checks only after waves of hate. Fact is, it never came to realization, thank God, so we don't know what they originally wanted.

16. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Well, sure Lionhead is still part of MS. Problem is, LH never was great developer IMO, Molyneux had great ideas, but LH was average or good at best. Imagine what Molyneux could do with Nintendo or other more creative people/studios, like Naughty Dog or Rockstar. I will wait for new game for final judgement, but after latest Live title and Fable 3 it's not looking good.

They should have bought Bizarre, is no question they ****ed up. PGR was one of the best exclusives in first years of 360 and it's one of the best racers last gen.

Gears of War will never be as good as it was with Epic, latest game was just a map pack and not a great one. They need to find good developer and announce proper fourth game, until then GoW is done for me.

Halo is a different game without Bungie. It will never be as popular as it was (with Bungie), just wait few years.

I won't even talk about Rare, but if You think their X360 games were amazing, you obviously didn't play their SNES or N64 games.

Oh, and tell what did they gain.

Sorry for "fast post", I'm in a bus.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  17. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Excuse me, but weren't you claiming how it was going to be and now in response to my post, you're now explaining how we don't actually know what the real plan was? If we don't actually know what the real plan was, are you agreeing that the massive hate-wagon that got going was actually - as I said - people hating without actually knowing what they were hating?

MS never at any point described anything about the XB1 DRM as being "always online". They said a check would be required every 24 hours. I'm going off what was actually stated - you were saying there was a requirement of "always online" (your post is just a few above mine in this thread if anyone is uncertain of this). And now you're saying we don't actually know after all despite having stated rumour as fact earlier. But we do know what was said - a check once every 24 hours. Good luck finding anything from Microsoft that says it was going to be anything more than that.

You'll find a tonne of misinformed people who kept repeating it as gospel even after correction, mind you.

18. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Really? Many? 83% of UK households have Internet access (figures from over a year ago). Of the 17% that don't, 60% were offline because they didn't care to be online, another 20% because they said they "lacked the skills" and 10% because they couldn't afford it. So of that 17% in total, 90% of them were for reasons other than connection availability. So yes, 1.7% of UK households at most, do not have Internet available if wanted. And it's falling rapidly. And that still doesn't account for people who fall within areas of mobile phone reception. (source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23620856).

So tell me, what do you think the overlap is between those who wanted an Xbox One and those who were unable to do a once per 24 hour check is? And do you think that group is large enough to account for all the people who got angry about the issue and said that it would ruin XB1 for them? Because the answer of course is that it isn't. Your ability to find some frustrated gamer in the Outer Hebrides really doesn't justify the hate wagon that got rolling over this issue. Except you can get Internet in the Outer Hebrides so you'll have to provide your own example as I can't think of any.

UK government is calling Internet Access a "Basic Right", btw and actively pushing to get everyone online. Using this as an objection to a console in this day and age in the UK is absurd.

Well I don't know that it is 1,968 bytes if that's what you mean, but I do know quite a lot about software and know that a simple signature check is a tiny, tiny amount of bandwidth. You're clutching at straws there.

XBLive subscription isn't required to connect your XB1 to a router. It's just required for certain services.

I have some friends who are seriously poor and even they have Internet access these days. I think if you get to the point you can't afford Internet access (no idea what you're trying to convey with "additional" Internet unless you have no idea how little data checking a signature or account actually is), then playing your current gen console is a bit of an odd luxury. Again, what overlap between those too poor to have any Internet access at all and those that have a current gen games console and games is? And do you think all those angry people fell into that category? Of course they didn't.

?? Phones don't specially discriminate against games consoles. Flick on WiFi sharing, type in the password to your XB1, done. If your phone or network can't do that then the problem isn't with your game console.

You are really, really reach for cases where a simple once every 24 hours check becomes an insurmountable barrier, aren't you? Of course such cases exist out there somewhere. The point I have repeatedly made is that they don't correspond to the massive wave of angry hate that got directed at MS because the vast, vast, vast majority of people would not have been affected. Yet they complained. They also repeatedly stated things that were not the case.

19. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Okay, fair enough. My mistake, sorry if I confused anyone.

But to be honest, these once a day checks are almost the same as always online IMO.
    What if you don't have internet at home? You'll have to take Xbox to someone with online connection EVERY day.
    They have ****ty attitude towards their clients anyway, You can't deny that.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I don't think MS's initial idea of 24 hour checks or anything else was a big deal.Steam requires online too and that's for downloading huge files. You can't resell them or loan them to friends either. Obviously people with limited internet wouldn't have such things. It's like someone selling a car and people that either refuse to pay for gasoline or are limited in access and then start complaining about about the cars requirements.

I think it's pretty obvious that the future of gaming ultimately will be entirely digital and online. I get the fact that it doesn't have to be that way but then again that goes for lots of things in life.