Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Laptops & Notebooks
Laptops & Notebooks They’re completely portable, and they use less power and make less noise than desktop models. But what if you have questions ?

Chromebooks
Old
  (#1)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Core i7 6700k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR4-3000
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default Chromebooks - 04-20-2017, 16:17 | posts: 4,841 | Location: Riga, LV/Bristol, UK

Hey,

I am thinking about picking one up, just for browsing, photos, random docs etc. Nothing heavy. What would people recommend? i know hardly anything about Chromebooks.

Also can i copy any of my own films (avi, mp4) to it and awtch while offline?

Old
  (#2)
haz_mat
Master Guru

Videocard: 1070 FE
Processor: 3770K @ 4.5 1.3v + H110
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H rev1.1
Memory: 2x8GB Mushkin 1866 CL9 1T
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z + ATH-M50
PSU: Seasonic 750w
Default 05-06-2017, 03:20 | posts: 244 | Location: Crestline, California

I have one of these: Acer Chromebook 14 with Crouton installed. Being able to switch between ChromeOS and a real desktop is nice. Its not crazy snappy, but the quad core celeron chip holds its own. I even managed to get Steam installed - it can play Stardew Valley acceptably.

Honestly, I love it - very light and solid construction, its built like a macbook air. I can throw it in my backpack with all my other school stuff and not worry about breaking it since its cheap and sturdy. No moving parts unless you count the keys on the keyboard. Great battery life too, I can get through the week on two charges. Standby power use is also very low, almost negligible in my experience.

The only downside with these is the limited internal storage. So consider a small USB drive that you can leave plugged in. You can still view and edit locally while offline - google docs will sync your work next time you go online. For home use I'd recommend sharing media over the local network with one of the many solutions available.

On a side note, I'm a little iffy on the smaller Chromebooks. I checked out a few in Best Buy and this 14" is actually usable with the 1080 panel - the smaller ones were around 720p and felt too cramped in my opinion.

Last edited by haz_mat; 05-06-2017 at 03:31.

Old
  (#3)
Jdaisy

Videocard: Dell Studio/ 8:00 GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000w
Default 06-15-2017, 08:45 | posts: 23

Chromebooks are amazing. Samsung makes great chromebooks and they are a pleasure to use. I really like mine. It does everything I need the computer for. I can even use the documents app offline, as well as a couple of other apps. It doesn't require constantly buying virus protection, and it's bugging me all the time for updates on the software. It also ties in with my Google phone, so I can upload pictures quickly and easily.