Qnix Qx2710 and headache.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by main_shoby, Mar 19, 2014.

1. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    hello,

I recently upgraded to the well recognized Qnix Qx2710 PLS panel. off the bat, the monitor oc'ed to 100hz without any issue or timing changes. I love the high resolution this monitor has and Crysis 3 at 100hz vsync is much better. I am happy with the performance. its a clean non glossy panel, zero dead pixel and has very minimum light bleed.

Now to my problem.. While using this monitor for the first time, i noticed building headache and eye stress. this never happened to me before, I noticed its probably high brightness on the screen, so I tried different brightness settings. I even tried lower refresh rate to 60hz, loading my old monitor's color profile and several different color profiles from asus and samsung. Still i get eye stress and headache.

Any suggestion?
    i want to keep this monitor lol..

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)

Try setting brightness to 100% on the montor then adjust contrast and brightness in your nvidia cp to suit your needs.

3. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    100% on monitor ? hmm, I have It around 20% on the monitor. I will try that today.
    thanks for the input !!

4. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Yup 100% on monitor will stop the backlight flickering (I suffer from the same headaches)

Then you can use software to lower the brightness if needed nvidia control panel will work fine. This way the monitor is still running at 100%

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I recently got mine too, I would rather have that headache than go back to 1080

6. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ^ lol

well, i still am getting headache :/ any specific color profile you guys are using ?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Just using nvidia driver defaults with with digital vibrance on 80%

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Check out the Qnix thread, profiles are in there. Also check out the color sustainer thread.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Dunno I don't have any headache, maybe check out Yasas profiles? They're the best, at least for me.

10. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Hmm yeah I have the brightness down a good few steps but haven't noticed flickering or headaches. I do still need to take it apart and fix the BLB though, which I've been putting off lol.

11. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I created my own color profile. whatever profile I was loading, white was too bright. every time I would open a webpage, It would flash at me lol.
    I added some red and blue and reduced green. Now white is a bit warmer but its not flashy.
    I want to try this for a day and see what happens :/

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Mmmmm.

It seems that very few Qnix monitors use PWM. At 100% brightness, the monitor gives its all and doesn't use PWM. PWM is used to reduce average brightness by switching rapidly between ON and OFF, and not changing instantaneous voltage or current. So it would look something like this for 50% actual brightness:

1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0

At 100% it would look like this: 1 1 1 1 1

At 80%: 11110 11110 11110

Of course, this gets done at a (numerically) high frequency. On the PWM-ed Qnixes, it's 160Hz, clearly visible to some. Regardless, my Qnix doesn't have PWM, for example.

Interesting test (for the rest as well): Set your Qnix brightness to 100%, open phone cam, observe. Lower brightness, observe any changes in phone cam. You might see flicker or moving lines, then that's PWM.

Since you're still getting headaches at 100% brightness with software brightness reduced, then it doesn't seem like that's PWM.

BTW, @Desgaizu, the method you have mentioned kills your contrast ratio, since you're capping white output while keeping black levels the same. It is, though, the only way of eliminating PWM effects on a monitor that suffers from PWM, short of opening the monitor and replacing the LED backlight power source / controller.

Concerning the headaches and eye fatigue, you're suffering from the excess of blue found in a properly calibrated / accurate 6500K monitor. The Qnix is pretty accurate out of the box and I suppose you went for the Qnix coming from a monitor which was yellowish, <6500K out-of-the-box / after profiles that you had set.

Try this 5000K, gamma 2.2, 60Hz profile that I have made for the Qnix, for night viewing.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jr9atw2n5whdki/Qnix 5000K 2.2 60Hz.icm

Oh, and to load your color profiles, there's this app I heard about? Color Substainer or something? It's in this monitor subforum, some random dude on the internet made it. It seems good, but I could do better than that. Try it ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thank you very much! I will try your profile up before i return my monitor. I have installed my old monitor since this one is not usable for me and its I have initiated a return process for this Qnix.

14. Ever tried the Gunnar gaming eyewear? They make viewing computer monitors a dream and help with eyestrain. Sounds silly but you really should give them a go :)

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Those glasses tone down the blue and give a yellowish tint to your monitor. F.lux and <6500K color profiles have a similar effect. I have my Qnix and laptop displays calibrated to 5000K for night viewing. Try out the profile I have linked to in my previous post.

F.lux clashes with color profiles since it loads its own ramp. There are ways to simulate the effects of F.lux while still being able to use color profiles (mainly by whitepoint conversion), but it's a bit complex to do.

16. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    testing your color profile, it looks better. lets see how i feel after an hour of use :)

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That's good, waiting for the results :)

18. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    thanks for your help sir, color profile is much better but It still is giving me headache.

I think its the monitor, left bottom side has some kind of shade \ contrast there is lower and its a little greyer than rest of the monitor.

I noticed my left eye is feeling more stressed hence i got my left side of head aching pretty bad. its either monitor or my left eye is getting weak lol. I dont have any eye problem nor I wear any glasses. sighs, I think cheap 1440p is not for me... if so, i have no desire for my 2nd 780ti :/ because i dont want to spend 900$ on a monitor lol... man this is sad..:3eyes:

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Can you test if your monitor has PWM, just so we know what's the problem?

Hold your phone in front of the monitor and turn on the camera. What do you see? Then take a photo.

My left bottom corner is fine, maybe you got a dud?

20. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    hmm I will take pictures when I go back home. I installed my old LG 1080p 60hz again :/