Where to go from a Rebel XSI..?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by ScoobyDooby, Feb 18, 2016.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    My friends, I am reaching out to the avid photogurus around here to ask about what you would do if you were me.

I have been using this crop sensor Canon body for the past many years. I have a nice sized bonus coming in in a couple weeks and want to take a portion of it to upgrade my camera.

Problem is, I'm only really knowledgeable with Canon products and haven't stayed up to date with any other brands or models.

I have read great things about the Mark 3, but its also pretty overkill likely for my needs. That said, I do want to get a full sensor this go around, and still spend a bit on a couple good lenses (Wide angle, telephoto and portrait)

If all goes well we'll be taking a trip to Asia later this year and so I wanna make sure I have all this stuff ready in a bag to go.. don't want to miss the opportunity to grab some great photos!

All suggestions and opinions are welcome.. Also, I'm entirely brand agnostic.. I have Canon now, but have no problem moving to Nikon or Sony or whatever else..

2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey Scooby if you want to stay with crop sensor the newly announced 80D is looking REALLY good...to the point that you could argue in some ways better than my 5D3

- 45 all cross AF points, with 27 allowing focusing with f/8 and centre point with sensitivity of -3EV (compared to 5D3 61 points with 41 cross AF points, only centre point allowing f/8 focusing and no points goes down do -3EV)

- dual pixel CMOS AF allowing speedy live view AF, also touch screen you can simply tap the subject and it will focus and track, also flip screen (i know purists hate it, i wish the 5D3 had it) allows shooting at awkward angles a lot easier

- pretty sure 80D is using new sensor where ad/c is now on sensor (like the sony sensors) meaning better noise performance and DR (may have to wait for review to confirm tho)

just a few reasons to get an 80D...it's looking so good to the point even i want to buy one for birding and macro

but if you wanna go budget FF 6D is a nice choice, even 5D3 i've seen are going for sale for under $2k USD (tho on grey market i believe, keep eye out on sites like canon rumor etc), in saying that surely 5D4 and 6D2 are just around the corner so if you can hold out a bit longer you can see what they bring (and no doubt drop the prices of current models)

otherwise Nikon has a nice D610 you can look into, but that also means reinvesting in everything

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Thanks very much for your post Bball, I was hoping you'd take the time to chime in :)

I will look into the options you suggested. I currently have sold off practically all of my Canon gear aside from the body and a Tamron lens, so it wouldn't be too tough for me to switch at all.

I do like Canon though and am familiar with the interface more than other cameras, so there's that.

You mentioned new bodies are soon to release.. when would this be exactly? Im certainly in no rush for the moment, and my trip wouldn't be till later this year in September at the earliest..

4. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey no worries Scooby, when i say soon...it's more speculation than anything, looking at Canon's product update cycle it's about time 5D3 and 6D gets a refresh, 1DX II just recently released so surely 5D4 is not far behind, rumour sites are expecting announcement within next couple months for 5D4, especially with Canon finally giving us a new sensor i am sure they'd want to put it into new bodies soon