ClockBlocker (profiled AMD power-management control)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by A2Razor, Dec 10, 2015.

1. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    A2Razor, you are my savior.

Not only Crimson, but others AMD drivers sitematically have this problem.

Now I can play without stutter FC4, Batman, GTA 5 and other titles!!!

Very nice app, works flawless and after game is shutdown, the clock goes down. Perfect, just perfect!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    then save a profile in AB with everything turned down like i do ^_^

3. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Going to interject something here .. since I foresee this maybe becoming an argument of ClockBlocker vs MSI-Afterburner.

Please keep in mind that this tool and its method are an alternative choice, not a replacement, competition, or otherwise. ClockBlocker does not use the same method as Afterburner for clock speed enforcement. That it works on other hardware than the R9 Fury's is a bonus, yet it was intended to find a solution for Fiji owners where there was no option available.

If someone is able to use Afterburner, they may very well pick Afterburner and find that it does everything they want already. Afterburner always was, and still is, a great utility.

4. CCoR-

CCoR- Active Member

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    Tool now working for me too

5. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I forgot to say THANK YOU! This tool eliminate the stutter and random fps drop form the games that from various reasons dont push the gpu to the max.
    Although it makes you wonder why the hell AMD wont offer this option in CCC (now radeon software) .I mean is called Fury and is red.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nvidia has some "Prefer 3D clock speed." option which is more or less the same function as this so hopefully AMD will eventually add a similar option to their drivers directly. :)

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'll say it again. This is an awesome tool, implementing a very simple idea. It's so stupid it needs to be made...

8. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I gave this awesome-looking tool a try as well, but sadly it crashes for me right after the splash screen appears with a "memory could not be written" error.

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64, 290X CF with Crimson 15.11.1. The possible "odd" things about my system is that I use 3 monitors (1200x1920 portrait, 4K, 2560x1440) and also have the iGPU in my 4770K activated with drivers installed, it is used for hardware encoding in Steam In-Home Streaming. The monitors are all connected to the main 290X, not the iGPU.

[​IMG]

9. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    1.0-6 released:
    The main things that I'll need tested in this one from you guys are.

-The new fullscreen detection (from those that have games that did not work).
    -Whether or not your jitter is eliminated (from people who saw dips before).

Bloodred217: Sadly was pushing this release out just when I saw that post of yours. (just about to head out here too) I'll look and see if I can figure out what's happening with your startup crash soon as I can.

-There's probably something going on with the Intel IGP. My main desktop doesn't have any integrated graphics in it, nor my main dev laptop, so I'll see if I can borrow one that has hybrid graphics.

In the meantime: probably won't make a difference ... but check if the 32bit build launches, always a chance.

10. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    The iGPU is the most uncommon part, yeah, that's why I thought it relevant to mention it.

I tried the 32b build, it fails with the same sort of error, only different memory addresses.

[​IMG]

11. Tgrove

Tgrove Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire R9 Fury X
    Thank You

Registered just to tell OP thank you! This program has been nothing short of amazing for me. Now both my cards run at full core clock while the usage adjusts due to load, then down lock outside of games. I always monitor everything with AB but no actual OC. temps, voltages, and everything are great. Completely removed stuttering and hiccups, everything is ridiculously smooth now. I also use free sync so now I'm truly seeing the benefits of that. Only needed this program for gaming only. I didn't have any screen corruption or any other issues, but it fixed the one problem I did have

Windows 7 64
    49" ips 4k free sync monitor

So happy with how my system is running now. I had the issues downloading the latest version of the program, through the actual download and the program itself. No complaints on that really I'll update when I can.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Now that this thread is sticky and more visible maybe AMD can learn what features his GPU customers really need from drivers like performance over power saving when they want it.

Good job A2Razor!

:)

13. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Thank you very,.. very much!!!
    No more downclocking in 5K :banana:

14. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    this tool is magical, it enhance every gameplay experience and makes it very smooth.
    Respect for A2Razor, and shame on you AMD!!!

15. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    When you finish gaming, just open AB and click "reset". Takes 2-3 seconds. Done.

16. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Today, December 12, 2015, political figures from 190 contries met and adopted an agreement on global warming, and will be pursuing the reduction of "green house" gazes.

Accordingly, Fury-X designers were just trying to comply by introducing the stutters inducing "Dynamic Downclocking" of their products.

P.s. Thanks for the tool

17. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    1.0-7 released.

This release is mainly a bug fix release, although it does reduce CPU usage a little bit too.

@ Bloodred217:
    Some of the changes in this release "might" help with your inability to start the tool (if it's DEP related). I did manage to reproduce a very similar crash by turning on DEP for all processes (in addition to system services), and using Software NX (in bios) rather than hardware. No guarantees of course, I still haven't gotten around to properly testing on a machine with hybrid graphics & an IGP, but hopefully.

If this doesn't do anything for that error, if you could -- check what your DEP settings are in Windows and BIOS. DEP definitely causes some weirdness with ClockBlocker on some machines.

--If you have DEP globally enabled, setting an exclusion for ClockBlocker_x64.exe & ClockBlocker.exe may help get past it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  18. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I have a lite suggestion to increase this great tool efficiency. It would be useful (if it can be done) to have a downclock/block option in taskbar tray icon at least for default state. What do you think?

19. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    the 1.07 completely screwed up on my system, created screen flickering and stuff, everything became unstable, turned off the computer straight away (standard shutdown not a forced one), and then the computer wouldn't power up, my psu must have gone into protection mode, had to unplug it to be able to restart, went back to 1.05 it's working as I want.

20. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Quick access from the tray for those that want to use it as an on & off toggle? Sure, that's fairly easy to add.

This is very strange honestly.

In 1.0-6 an alternate method (the DirectCompute) went in ... but it shouldn't be selected unless the OpenCL ICD is determined not installed properly or not working -- unless something is screwed up with that detection (I'll look at this very closely today). The only other thing that changed in 1.0-6 with the clock enforcement was the execution timing was tightened slightly (I found cases where the threads were executing 20-30ms late). 1.0-7's major difference is that sections of code were built with MinGW instead of VCC, because the clock control with VCC (from VS2013) was causing DEP to trigger on two of my machines with Software NX used instead of hardware NX set (via bios). [GUI is still built with VCC in all builds]

Anyway, thanks for your testing. I certainly do not expect you to test further builds if 1.0-5 does everything that you want. I'm guessing after seeing this once you reverted to the other build. -- But, if you did see this multiple times in a row, do clarify because I'd probably pull the 1.0-6 and 1.0-7 versions immediately just based on your system's response to it.

If more people see something like this, I probably will pull the later builds as well. Despite that I'm using these versions and haven't seen anything of the likes that you have, obviously everyone has different machines. I will take anything that needs re-cycling the PSU as extremely serious.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015