RivaTuner v2.08

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

According to old good Murphy’s law I’ve received my GeForce 9600GT sample right after releasing version v2.07 to public. Due to lack of 9600GT sample during developing v2.07 I declared G94 support in this version as experimental and was not able to provide you all planned G94 related features in v2.07. But now I have this baby installed for a couple days and I’ve already squeezed from it everything I wanted. So I thought that it will be a good idea to release a new containing all 9600GT related features, which were planned but were not included in v2.07. Also, new release will give some more auto fan control tweaks to AMD 38x0 owners. After v2.07 release we found that besides misconfigured automatic fan control AMD also managed to misconfigure fan acoustic management system calibration in some VGA BIOS images, and new version will help AMD 38x0 owners affected by this problem to tweak and fix acoustic management system related parameters too.
    Please don’t expect more changes from v2.08, the rest ones are minor and include support for new drivers launched after v2.07 (ForceWare 169.44 and Catalyst 8.3) and couple bugfixes.

New version is online, changes list includes:

Minor bugfixes:

- RivaTuner no longer crashes when RivaTuner module activation launcher item is scheduled to run at Windows startup.
    - Fixed association between low-level refresh overrider rules and target display adapter, broken due to low-level profiles association related changes in the previous version.
    - Minor UI and localization fixes.

What's new:

- Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare drivers. Added database for ForceWare 169.44.
    - Added Catalyst 8.3 drivers detection.
    - Updated Catalyst 8.3 certified SoftR9x00 patch script (for Windows 2000/XP drivers only).
    - Updated PCI DeviceID database for ATI graphics processors. Added PCI DeviceID for RADEON HD 3850 AGP.
    - Improved G94 graphics processors support. Thanks to Jurgen in 't Zandt @ Point of View for providing NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT sample for testing. The list of G94 related improvements includes:
    - Added low-level fan control support for integrated PWM controllers of G94 graphics processors.
    - Improved driver-level fan control support for integrated PWM controllers of G94 graphics processors. Now RivaTuner can be used for switching between driver-level automatic and driver-level direct fan control modes on GeForce 9600GT series.
    - Improved RV6xx graphics processors family support. With this version RivaTuner continues tradition of providing workarounds for bugs existing in fan controller calibration routines of many reference AMD HD 38x0 BIOS images. The list of new workarounds and enhancements includes:
    Extended list of tweakable automatic fan speed control rule parameters for RV6xx fan controllers. Now besides editing previously available thermal lookup and temperature transfer formula parameters RivaTuner also allows editing parameters of RV6xx fan controller's acoustic management system. Acoustic management related parameters include PWM hysteresis and PWM ramp settings, which are also improperly calibrated in certain AMD HD 38x0 BIOS images.
    - Now RivaTuner forcibly resets fan controller's PWM hysteresis settings when adjusting fan speed in fixed mode. This enhancement provides fine fan speed adjustment in fixed fan speed mode instead of stepwise fan speed adjustment mode on the systems affected by erroneously programmed PWM hysteresis.
    - Changed representation format for temperature transfer function's T slope parameter. Now the parameter is displayed and edited in percents instead of PWM ticks to simplify transfer formula readability.
    - Minor UI changes and improvements.

2. Unwinder

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  4. Unwinder

It applies to all RV670 based adapters. And it is not model specific bug, it is BIOS version specific bug.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Ok thanks for info, will do some testing at home.

6. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350
    Using rt 2.08 i got a non-digital signed driver message,when i start rt.Even when i boot vista with signed-drivers off.

With rt 2.07 there was no problem about signed drivers.

vistax64 sp1

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  7. Unwinder

You must install the update with signed drivers, which is included in the distributive.

8. Bullu$

Bullu$ Master Guru

GPU:
    R290X CFX@1050/1350
    Aha i missed that file, it works now .
    Tnx for fast reply.

edit;
    somehow it don't detect the cat.8.3 drivers.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  9. Unwinder

10. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    sorry. i'll post this in a more appropriate thread.

thanks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008

11. RockMarc

RockMarc Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 275
    Couldn't find any help using the search function. So my question: How do i properly update RivaTuner? Do i have to completely uninstall (including profiles), or is it sufficient to uninstall w/o deleting the profiles. Can i/ do i HAVE to install the newer version into the old directory and rename it, or could that cause any problems (because of the different path name, though)?

Besides, i always get this error message, after switching to another user account (windows xp):

Overclocking profile is no longer valid or corrupted. Do you want to edit menue item and browse for another profile now?

Do i have to create profiles seperatly for every account?

12. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    Ok 2.08 is working fine. I'm using the PWM 3 settings in the 3800 database sticky. But is it normal for the fan speed to have a +- 2% fluctuation? So every few seconds the fan speed will vary from 31 to 29 or 33 is it is set at 31 in the thermal table.

13. Unwinder

Yes, it is normal. That fluctuations are caused by PWM ramp mode when your temeprature is approaching the threshold defined in the thermal table. For example, if you define:

50% for 50C
    60% for 60C

and your temperature is crossing 60C, fan speed will start increasing from 50% to 60% by 1% per sampling period then the temperature will go below 60C due to fan speed increase and fan speed will start decreasing etc. These are the fluctuations you are seeing:

e.g. 50%, 51%, 52%,51%,50%,49% etc

You may try to get rid of it by setting PWM ramp on (but not PWM ramp) to 0, in this case fan controller will immediatly switch to the new duty cucle from the table without increasing it softly. So you'll see:

50%, 60%, 50%

Also, you may try to increase PWM hysteresis just a bit, it will also eliminate the fluctiations.

14. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    Thanks Unwinder. You deserve a break. You have my permission to take a weeks vacation with pay.

15. Hybrid SyntaX

Hybrid SyntaX Active Member

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD 3870 CF
    you are wonderful Unwinder! :grin:
    i can cool both of my cards now !
    it would be great if there was an option like auto fan control which switch between 2D and 3D clock without need to making profile

16. VectorRoll

VectorRoll Active Member

GPU:
    2 @ EVGA/8800GTS/640MB
    Man this took me by surprise. A guy in another thread that I made mentioned 2.08 and I had just recently picked up 2.07 when it came out. You really down get down to business with this don't you.
    You rock. :rock:

Now it is time for me to get down to work with this and see how it does. :eek:c: LOL

17. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX @ 621/1566/972Mhz
    Hey Unwinder. Think I may have found a small bug. If I set my shader or memory clockspeed to be shown as a tray icon, it doesn't display properly. Example:
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4404/capturebn9.jpg

That should read as 972. What is weird is that the core clock, which is also three digits, displays fine.

Hardly worth mentioning though. Congrats on another great RT release :)

18. Unwinder

That is by design, if you try to fit too long string in the tray icon - it will be truncated and truncation marker vertical "..." will be added to it. ReadMe explicitly mentions it.

Nothing weird, different digits have different width.

19. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX @ 621/1566/972Mhz
    OK, I've been having some problems with fan profiles. They've disappeared three times over the last few days. Seemingly randomly, I get the "Fan profile is no longer valid or is corrupted" message.

When I go to check, my launcher and scheduler items are still there, but all fan profiles have vanished. I've tried both driver-level and low-level profiles, but it still happens.

What am I doing wrong? This never happened with 2.06.

20. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I am still using Rivatuner 2.06 because 2.08 will not sign my drivers.