MSI 7950 TwinFrozr

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by h3Xh3X, Dec 10, 2012.

1. h3Xh3X

h3Xh3X Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 gtx+
    I'm buying a new gpu since an upgrade is long overdue. My eyes are set on the MSI HD7950 Lightning/TwinFrozr3 because it's pretty powerful and still within my budget, and I don't need to replace the cooler to OC it.
    I have 3 old monitors here with a resolution of 1280x1024, and would like to run eyefinity on them at 3840x1024px (with adapters, they all support DVI only).
    Does my choice of graphics card make sense? Would you recommend another card instead? I will OC it and eventually add another in crossfire for longevity.

2. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    i have the twin frozr3 and a gigabyte version WF3. The fan is high-pitched loud in 75+ fans, and its cooling is moderate. If you dont mind the noise at high fan speed then it's a good buy because it's cheap and decent at overclocking.

I would recommend the Gigabyte WF3 or Sapphire Vapor-X.

Those resolutions are kinda low, i would recommend at least getting a monitor with 19x12 or 19x1080 resolutions. Games dont look nice in those low resolutions

3. h3Xh3X

h3Xh3X Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 gtx+
    After upgrading my graphics card and getting a decent case, new monitors is the next point on my list. Looking for a 24"-27" borderless e-ips with displayport but haven't had any luck yet.

I had the impression that the twin frozr 3 was comparatively silent among other cards in its class, from reviews at tomshw, spcr.

4. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I just got my R7950 Twin Frozr. Anything below 55% fan speed I don't really hear it. But once it gets above that it almost sounds like a just turning on it's afterburners to take off.

The temps don't get high enough in all games to turn them up. But in BF3, and Saints Row 3 I've noticed it happen. (Actually Saints Row 3 makes my card hotter then BF3 on a full 64 player server.)

I switched from a 6850 Gigabyte card with dual fans and I never heard that thing. This one is a good amount louder then my old card. Which I'm kinda sad about.

Wondering if any of the other 7950 even reference models are quieter.

Edit: I Found some old Dynex branded thermal paste. I applied that after cleaning the old gunk off. It helped a ton temps are a little lower but the main thing is they are low enough to keep the fans from having to go real high to make all the noise.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012