The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Yes ive read your threads earlier today as it happens and enjoyed reading ,good work .

As for keeping my two 980ti's it's a bit late as there now sold this week thanks to ebay,

So it's definitely looking like the 1080ti for me now just a case of which one and i'm leaning towards the Gigabyte Aurora which is the max i'm looking at spending this time around ,not going SLI again which will be the first time in years and save myself a few hundred quid :).

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok just heads up to everyone, Even though I posted this on my 980ti vs 1080ti thread.

From my experience on my 2 1080ti hybrid's overclocked, I have gotten performance as much as:

Double + and somewhere around 33% to 1/2 over my last 2 980ti hybrids, overclocked, and that is ALOT.

To me, That is more then excellent.

Not many programs will do this sadly, some will, This is why I go completely insane with the resolution and filters to put complete stress to the gpu's as much as possible, this way, I can see how much I improved from these cards over the last one, End results = Better then I thought it would be, some programs = not really double, some is well over double, so please keep this in mind.

I can tell you right now, what really did it are the 2 following things:

XOC NO POWER LIMIT BIOS

+

2nd PSU

Without those 2, Absolutely forget it!!!.

Without the 2nd psu and just run on 1 gpu only = very little throttling, when you go to two, and using XOC bios, Absolutely 2nd psu Is a must to increase stability, my 1200w seasonic gave up on certain situations, now its all fixed, and no shunt mod needed here, ever since I added the 2nd psu, Absolutely no to extremely small throttling(Mainly due to temps),perfect stability, If wanna go insane, this is a must and the safest alternative to prevent throttling.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This is probably a very stupid question, but I guess you can't limit your card to not overdraw with the no limits bios, correct? So flashing XOC with a Corsair 1200W PSU will probably be the same situation you've been in than with your Seasonic, correct?

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Not that I know of, it is exactly what it entitles: NO LIMIT, so be very very careful.

Flashing To XOC NO LIMIT with just one card in the system along with the 1200w seasonic gold = prettie good, its just soon as I go to the 2nd card, depending on the settings and the load of the application, extra stability/power is needed.

I haven't tested with a wattage meter, but my guess is, easily one of these cards is pushing at least 500W MAX!, but don't take that for granted, could be lower actually.

If I were to take a guess out of thin air, Firestrike ultra default settings, Probably eating over 400W per card, now the settings like 32xS + 8xSGSSAA @ 4k???, I am guessing well over 500W tdp easy, cause how fast it quit on my 1200w seasonic, the moment I started using the setting, it quit in seconds, whereas firestrike ultra did NOT at all, smooth as butta.

using one card is fine, its going to sli is the problem.

But before I actually gave up, I said hmm, I am using XOC, what if I used the 2nd psu, dedicated directly to the 2nd gpu and nothing else, to help increase stabiliy, since XOC has no limit whatsoever, and ever since then, NOT ONE PROBLEM, Very highly recommend if your going into the extremes only, otherwise don't bother.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe thought so, thanks ;)

6. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I caved in and bought the Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Extreme Edition , i just couldnt cope without my nightly gaming season (it's only been 3 days without a Gpu), last night i had to sit and watch telly with the wife and that OMG i thought i cant do this until Vega is ready , so i decided last night im buying ther TI :)

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Vega has sold more Ti's in the last 3 months than AMD would like to admit.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The issie with his system is not the fact it's 1200w but the fact that Seasonic likes to use 18ga wiring on their PSUs.

Also when having high wattage cares you need to make sure you run a dedicated 8pin to the gpu, not the split ones.

That alone will cause issues.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Wouldn't matter if the psu was single rail?

Back then, I been using mult-rails, switched to single rail, never went back.

Even though I would trust enermax over my psu anyday, which is in my dad's system currently, to me Enermax = King of psu's but also probably the most costly psu's out there.

I went to single rail design because I don't have to worry about splitting power to this or to that, lose that, etc.

But yes, understand what your coming from about the guage size of the wiring.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I can confirm this first hand, I had my 1080Ti initially with a dual 8pin cable and it reboot my system the moment it hit power limit.

Funny enough, out of all benchmarks/games, it only happened in ME:A... that game has the most insane GPU usage out there right now.

I made a post about a "fix" for this issue on EA forums and one would be surprised just how many 1080Ti users were using the split cable for power. :grin:

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I'll be doing benches on that game later on, for now, go to my 980ti sli vs 1080ti sli thread, Very interesting results, and yes, better then originally expected...

Alot more bench videos coming.

For now, heres the forum link:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=414461

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nope does not matter if it's single rail.
    The issue is overdrawing power over the wiring.

Nothing i said has any relation to it being multi rail or whatever.
    See below.

Yep, I had constant shutdowns in The Witcher 3 with 980Ti SLI custom H20 bios with my seasonic 1000w platinum and it wasn't because i was overdrawing 1000w(that psu can actually do 1200watts peak easily)

Pinpointed the issue to the 2x 8pin single cable.
    Basically a cable that splits into two 8pins but runs off a single connector on the PSU end.

I reran wiring for dedicated 8pin for each card and shutdowns stop.

I recall the wiring being quite warm after a shutdown so you also have to consider it a safety concern as well.

Potentially the wiring could melt and cause a fire hazard.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind, however, @ 4k max + 32xS+8xsgssaa puts tremendous amounts of stress to basically all components to the gpu, Like I said before, with xoc bios under firestrike ultra at default settings, went smooth as butta, but soon as I used 32xS+8xSgssaa in certain applications, system quit within seconds of starting the performance test, so the stress that this setting is putting is absolutely tremendous, obviously not for long time play, lol, I use it for very old games, but even then, puts tremendous stress to the gpu's and its surrounding components, mainly only used for bench testing only.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    what exactly are you testing 32xS+8xsgssaa in?
    Mario?

You certainly aren't using it any anything recent, definitely not firestrike.

You do realize You would be running 30720 by 17280 aka 30k res ontop of 32x aa?

My 2c is that setting is not applying and does nothing.

You would need AA compatibility bits and 90% of new games won't even allow the use of it due to DX11/12 use of deferred rendering techniques

15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

I already tested if these AA works, and they do, I know what to look for when they are applied, and yes, the 32xS, and all others I have tried many, many times over, all works.

I did many many runs on certain programs to make sure they are applied, I focus real hard in one certain area of a particular bench to see if the nvidia inspector aa is being applied, and yes, they do work 100%.

One good example to see if these hardcore settings are applied, in 3dmark 06, the airship scene, in the beginning, where you see the airship all the way from the distance, pay very close attn to the flicking of the airship, test the inspector aa settings, watch the flicking go less and less as you apply with higher quality settings, even @ 4k, its still not perfect, Excellent, Excellent image quality but still not 100% perfect.

The 32xS + 8xSgssaa is NOT intended for newer games, absolutely not, wouldn't even budge, even with 4 1080ti's, lol, @ 4k speaking.

With older applications and stressing the gpu to its knees, then yes, current games, no.

Farcry4 and others, you can do like +2xmsaa +2xSgssaa, or a tad higher but that's about it, at 4k with the 1080ti's? should be fine, haven't gotten to farcy4 yet, will soon.

The one shown in my videos, the aa bits, they do work, there are other bits works as well, give it a try like in X4msaa + X4sgssaa.

If they were not being applied, believe me, I wouldn't be uploading them.

I also did some Testing with X3: Terran Conflict bench thingy, yes, the nvidia inspector aa is working, absolutely, only thing bad about this program, scene 1, not so good gpu usage, despite very high quality settings, all other scenes, very good gpu usage.

Also, some games don't use the extra stuff, only like 2xmsaa + 2xSgssaa, 4xmsaa + X4Sgsaa and so on, to make sure the other stuff works like

8xSQ [Combined: 2x2 SS + 2x MS] + 2xSgssaa, Do a A test run several times with 2xmsaa + 2xSgssa alone, then if that works, do the 8xSQ + 2xSgssaa, and pay close attn to wherever it suits you, then go back and forth to see if one has higher overall image quality or not, if the higher one works, then the 8xSQ +2xSgssa works.

Sometimes, depending on application, its very hard, even for me, to detect these things, so I back down the resolution as far as I need to go, then start toying with the Nvidia Inspector aa settings, to see if certain settings is being applied, if it is, I go back to my usual 4k+ then work from there.

The most common AA bits that works for me are:

Killing Floor: 0x000000C1

Diablo III: 0x004412C1

And my all time, personal favorite for a very long time, Infamous AA bits:

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing: 0x080012C1

And if the game has aa, I set it to max settings, then within nvidia inspector, Set aa to enhance the application settings.

I tested many many runs on 3dmark 06, alot of the airship scene, looking at certain particular area that I can catch if the aa is applied or not, from there I increase, If I can't tell a difference, What I do is jack down the resolution quite a bit, then change aa from there to see if there is a difference, if there is, I keep going at the resolution I was originally working on, believe me, they do work, otherwise I would have not upload them, try it for yourself, The above mentioned AA bits, give it a try and oh btw, I did that wire thingy you mentioned before, two seperate wires to one of the 1080ti from the seasonic 1200w.

Speaking about the wiring, you think using that pci-e extension cord, the one supplied by evga and others, will hinder performance? Because I don't see any issues over here, I used them because the second psu in on the other side of the case, next to it, didn't have enough run, so I use that small pci-e extension power cord that came with the 1080ti, figured It wouldn't be an issue, I haven't encountered any problems yet.

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I have the MSI version of the 1080 TI. Is this GPU a poor overclocker?

I've tried overclocking several times and even very minor overclocks cause freezing/crashing and bsods, why??

Could someone tell me what core and memory clock to set for a decent boost??

Preferably without increasing voltage unless it's a minor increase.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Which MSI version?
    What temps and fan speed?
    Did you set power to max?

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI GAMING X 11Gb.

Average temperatures are around 50c, max was 77c.

Fan speed set to just 50%

Power was not set to max, was set to 100.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Does not matter if you have reference or the best non reference.
    They all OC similarly.

In Pascal's case, it makes no difference if you have 16 phases or 8.

Minor overclock is pretty vague as your card could be boosting very high already.

Always list the exact clock speed you are running.

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    That's what I think, it's already boosted high?

Here are my current settings in MSI Afterburner:

Core Voltage - 0
    Power Limit - 90
    Core Clock - +100
    Memory Clock - +50
    Fan Speed - 50%

GPU-Z Settings:

GPU Clock - 1644 MHz
    GPU Memory - 1389 MHz

GPU Clock Boost - 1758MHz
    GPU Memory Boost - 1658MHz

Memory Bandwidth - 488.9 GB/s