Star citizen for console?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rockupuncture, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    It's clearly unlikely for a lot of reasons, the first of which being state of the art. You can't aim for extreme fidelity and shoot yourself in the foot dreaming of porting your game to console.

To give just some raw technical numbers. Overwatch aimed to be released on every console and therefore had to limit the triangle count of its characters to 40.000 triangles for highest quality LOD (not including weapons).

In comparison, merely a chest armor of a character in Star Citizen is 100K, just the chest.
    Add millions triangles ships, full body armor, cutting edges faces divided in 5 tiers. At least battlefield-like amount of players in a given area with ships, simulating physics.

Raw estimate of current console computation output:
    (character : 40k + weapons 15k)*12players + 350-500k triangle for nearby static environnement without physic simulation.

You're still far far away from minimum requirement. You would need at least something 3 times as powerful as current gen console.

Wait a minute, you wrote the article? *.*

Lucky man

I've played around in Unreal engine this week-end, you might recognize a couple stuff:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Seems obvious if there was a console port, it would be the next consoles given Star Citizen is probably 2-3 years away from a finished release. If we assume the next consoles will be roughly 4 times as powerful as the current machines, then it seems completely plausible.

4. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    From one of the earlier office video tours back in 2013 they said they received several PS4 from Sony to do R&D on for Star Citizen. CIG used them as monitor stands :D

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    If this game went to consoles, it would ruin their original message of making a PC-exclusive game with PC power that wouldn't be held down by the limitations of consoles.

That being said, you can show me updates and cute videos and articles, I stand behind what I've been saying for years (y'know, as long as this game has been in development). This game will never receive a proper release. It's too ambitious, for too small of a team, with too limited of a budget.