Driver issues since 17.4.2 (On two different systems and video cards)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KyleStilkey, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    You have done an excellent job in trying to rectify this issue, not only by your own hand but by trying the others suggestions in this thread.

It's unlikely a hardware issue due to the fact it is occurring on two different systems.

I'm afraid it might be time to relent, go back to the last WHQL driver that worked for your systems.

I would report this issue to AMD, referencing this thread. After all, It may just come down to a driver issue.

I'll keep an eye out for others that are experiencing the same issue and if I think of another option we can try, I'll contact you in this thread and P.M. you as well.

Enjoy your systems. Not having one driver version work will not influence you rigs since they are both power houses.

Keep us updated.

Later

2. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Oh I know, the issue is I've reported this issue with as much details as possible with each driver release but it doesn't appear to be getting to them as the video I posted to give them a better idea had 0 views so I pushed it out to the community to see if there was any suggestions to the issue. Oh well, hopefully whatever the cause of it may be will be awesome when they fix it or whatever is causing the issue is solved. I'll just keep reporting with each release as I can.

3. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Just updating this thread saying 17.7.1 still experience this. Just doing this so if someone finally from AMD looks at this, they can try and find out the cause.

Other notes are is alt+tabbing out has become so bad in some titles that it sometimes false to and does a weird game is still on screen but I can interact with the other monitors to but with massive slowness. I also believe this is linked to the exact same issue with users reporting videos played on other monitors are choppy or extremely laggy, because 17.4.1 doesn't have this but all WDDM 2.2 drivers on build 1703 have this issue. 1607 doesn't experience this on any of these drivers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I've posted this issue over on AMD's forums too, to see if I can get some attention from someone to look into why this is happening. If anyone knows of anyway to try and get this through to them I would really appreciate it, but I will keep reporting this issue till it's resolved either through a driver update or if it's Windows 10 a update is released to fix it.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped and gave me test ideas.

5. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    If you had read through the entire thread you would have already known, this has all been tested and done. It's an issue with AMD's Drivers support WDDM 2.2 as AMD's forums is showing more and more results of issues with users have these same issues as more people start to update to the creators update.

6. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I can confirm I am suffering the same issues on my system. It was driving me nuts because no matter what I tried, I wasn't able to sort it out. At least, I can see where the problem is coming from now.

Hopefully, AMD and Microsoft can provide a working solution sooner rather than later.

7. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Same, the more users who jump to the Creators update are experiencing this issue with newer drivers, hopefully either the cause of this is found or a fix is released one day.

8. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  9. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkEcUiLzlkAdssc5Dc2GCMVU3X2lpQ

There you go, I'll let you have fun with it.

I just reformatted the PC yesterday as a few builds ago caused this partition of the Insiders Builds to get stuck in a "upgrade" state causing lot of upgrading issues. The issue still happens on 1703 so it's not an issue with the insiders, it's an issue with Builds 1703 and newer and with WDDM 2.2 supported drivers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  10. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Still happening with 17.7.2, but I will say it's nowhere near as severe as it was. So they seem to be slowly fixing whatever the cause of the issue is. First time in months this seems to be in a better state, but still some work to be done. (Just posting this for AMD to see when I report it).

11. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Agreed! :)

Do you have any news from Microsoft/AMD on this matter?

Thanks! ;)

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Nice to know it's been noticed by AMD.

If you really want to be communicating directly with AMD, sign up at their Vanguard - Radeon™ Software Beta Tester Program web site and let us know what the experience is like!

https://gaming.radeon.com/en-us/radeonsoftware/crimson-relive/vanguard/

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=415963

13. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Already way ahead of you. Signed up the second they opened up. I hope I'm selected as I've already done testing with them before, who knows though. Fingers crossed.

14. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Well, as I stated several months ago he's not alone on this boat.

Mate, any updates on this? I keep testing driver after driver from AMD, build after build from Microsoft -at least on production, I haven't tested any Insider builds for a while- to see if we're closer to a solution, but nothing.

So, even with the FCU 17.9 and the WDDM 2.3 drivers, I keep suffering from this. As you previously said, it's especially noticeable with UWP apps, including those notifications that come up from the Action Center. I think the one that causes the biggest impact on the stutter is every time I launch the Microsoft Edge browser - the mouse pointer stutters very badly for a few seconds while Edge is being loaded/rendered.

I've been meaning to bump this one up for quite some time to see if there were any news but kept forgetting about it. I, just like Kyle, have already tried with a totally fresh installation of Windows 10 without luck. We both know, by now, this has nothing to do with third party software getting into the way.

My system specs are very similar to Kyle's (that may be a clue):
    Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero [UEFI BIOS: 3501] (Default settings without any OC made no difference as Kyle's already reported) (AMD Chipset drivers up to date: 17.40 from December '17)
    CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.8GHz
    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 (Samsung B-die chips)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB Sapphire Nitro OC+ (Different OC settings made no difference)
    Storage-> System: 1x Samsung SSD NVMe PCIe 960 EVO 500GB (I've tried different firmware versions as well as using Microsoft and Samsung drivers; no difference); Data storage: 1x Samsung SSD SATA3 850 EVO 1TB (latest firmware), 1x Toshiba HDD 5TB SATA3
    PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold Plus Modular

This is not a problem with my system temperatures either. I've got a Corsair Carbide 750D Airflow Edition with 5x 140mm case fans connected directly to the motherboard to control them through PWM. The CPU has a mild OC of 3.8 GHz with a Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 CPU (140mm) cooler which keeps it under 30ºC at idle and at about 45~60 (depending on the game and the fan profile) while gaming with an appropriate custom fan profile.

My system was already assembled and working nicely with a budget Geforce card. It did not start suffering from this issue until I bought the Radeon RX 580 and updated to the Creators Update/Fall Creators Update.
    I really hope 2018 is the year when this problem gets solved.

Cheers!

15. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Same problem with 18.1.1 WHQL drivers :(

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Have you tried using a cleaner? I.E cc cleaner to remove junk floating around? Try disabling Ati hotkey poller service, and Cortana. If you have realtek audio drivers you can try disabling them and /or reinstall those. Also motherboard and mouse should be plugged in to rear usb, and all other front usb slots should be unplugged to troubleshoot those.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  17. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    What sticks out to me is the fact that all the systems (at least on this thread) that are affected has an ASUS motherboard in common.

It could be a silly settings in the BIOS/UEFI that's causing this. Something like CSM, or forcing the PCI E Gen settings to Gen3 could solve all your worries. (I know this isn't applicable for the AMD FX build, but force the PCI E Gen to the highest possible value anyways)

If there's any settings like ASPM on the bios for PCI E, try setting it to on or off, and see how it goes. It may be something totally different as some of you are saying it has to do with WDDM. This issue is so weird.

The best way to figure out if it really is a WDDM issue is to install Windows 7 on a spare hard drive if you have one, and see if the same issue occurs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  18. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I appreciate the suggestions. But, as I have previously stated, this problem was not present when I had an nVIDIA card or before the new WDDM 2.2/2.3 and their respective drivers came along with the Creators Update/Fall Creators Update from Microsoft.
    Apart from that, on my system CSM is disabled (it's a native UEFI/GPT Windows installation) and PCIE is already set at Gen3.

Besides, I'm currently testing the lastest Insider build (17083) and with the driver provided by AMD, the hiccups have mostly dissapear up to a point where they are hard to see. So, it may appear that progress is being made in the right direction.

I, of course, will keep testing.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  19. sheep

sheep Guest

GPU:
    is
    I also experienced this problem on my system. You can easily replicate the cursor freezing by moving your mouse while opening the calculator from the start menu. I tried all of the typical troubleshooting steps such as DDU and complete windows install but it's always there with the newer drivers. This doesn't happen with the basic microsoft display driver and more importantly this doesn't happen at all when I pull the AMD card out of my system and replace it with Nvidia.

Jackalito likes this.