The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Decided to upgrade to a Threadripper late July-August, sell my board, cooler and CPU to the Nephew. Buy another 16gb kit of G Skill for 32gb total and dual Vegas in the fall. Hope it lasts me 6-8 years.

Frankly, I am happy with the current rig. With the EVO NVMe I'm at password in 14 seconds from power up. Memory is stable at 1600mhz and ZenStates working smoothe with a 3.9ghz OC when i want it, voltages are good and temps are good. It's come a long way over the last 3 months or so.

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The new board actually arrived today. Almost had a heart attack. After flashing to the new 1401 bios for the C6H, could not get anything to display on the monitor. The Q-Code stuck at 0d. After pulling my hair out for about two hours was finally able to find a thread about it in the ROG forum. Using displayport was the issue. Switched to HDMI loaded optimized defaults and now displayport is working again. Going to have to see if that was the issue with the Prime X370 board before sending it in. What a rollercoaster ride.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am so tempted by Threadripper it ain't even funny. But then again I might not need that much power :D Just upgrade this to Zen+ once that thing comes

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have what appears to be 100 percent stability at 3066, and 99.99 percent stability at 3200. All tests appear stable, but typically after a couple of hours of heavy encoding it decided to GSOD (green screen of death). I could probably much around for ages and make that 100 percent stable, but 3066 isn't too bad, and no doubt future AGESA and bios revisions will further improve high memory speed compatibility.

If I weren't doing the encoding and just going on tests etc, I would have said 3200 is 100 percent stable. This is with 14-14-14-34 timings etc, at 16-16-16-39 it wasn't any better. There could possibly be one of those new settings that I could adjust to make it stable, but the extra 133 MHz (well technically, 66 real MHz) isn't worth the time and effort when there are further improvements expected.

Maybe I should sell my RAM, it's worth about twice as much now as when I bought it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017

5. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Just wanted to share my experience after getting 1600X with Gigabyte AX370 K7:
    Used 8X2 3200Mhz Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 , Motherboard shipped with F3 Bios, booted without a problem with an XMP profile @ 3200. After updating firmware to a new beta BIOS with 1006 AGESA update ram worked only at stock speeds so downgraded BIOS back to F3 - worked @3200 like a charm again. Then I proceeded to overclocking CPU, I was wrestling with it for two days, tried all options I could think off and I could not get the CPU overclocked - whatever I did mostly it would either crash or if booted to Windows it would get stuck on 2199Mhz or if OC is sucessfull in benchmarks I was getting lower scores than with stock speeds. After exhausting all options I thought I'll give a shot to Ryzen Master - and it worked like a charm, didn't try 4.1Ghz yet, but with 4.0Ghz @ 1.40V it works just fine, NH-D15 keeps it ultra silent and in common use won't go over 61C (or 81C in HWmonitor). A pity the OC is not in the BIOS but I guess that will come with time. Hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Have you tested the performance of 3200 on your current bios versus 3066 on the new bios? At the end of the day it's the performance and compatibility that counts, not the frequency it is run.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey guys, out of curiosity check your CPU freq. in Windows Task Manager.

Task Manager claims my CPU is downclocking with light load / idle, but HWInfo shows fixed clocks as before and I've overclocked manually.

Also Task Manager shows (as current clock under heavy load) slightly lower value than set but reports max clock correctly. W10 15063.413.

8. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    In my case Task manager was reporting 4.0Ghz always but CPU-Z and HW monitor was showing different values and obviously benchmark scores were lower than expected.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Having been playing with the Crosshair now for a few days, cannot go back the Prime when it comes back. That board is going to the kids.

Have the CPU LLC @ level 3. Cannot get the rig stable using lvl 2. SOC LLC is perfect at lvl 2. Also found that by disabling the Sense MI Skew setting, the temperatures being reported are a lot more true to fact. The cpu temps are even a few C lower than on was on the Prime. Board was well worth the extra money.

EDIT:
    Finally able to run the F4-3600C16D-16GTZ kit closer to its rated speed. 3466 @ 15-15-15-34 and 1.35v so bios 1401 is looking very good

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  10. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I've already posted in Division thread here but will ask (since everyone there seems to run Intel):

Anyone playing The Division by any chance and getting constant CTDs?
    Been like that since I reinstalled the game on Ryzen build. Tried the usual suspects like stock clocks and even Windows reinstall but no help.

Sometimes can play for 2-3 hours even but ctds more often than not, usually after 10-15 mins of play.

12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I play The Division a lot. Currently running 4.0 GHz with 2 x 16 GB Ram (2933 MHz) with SOC Voltage at 1.13**. I have no crashes atm. If I run SOC Voltage at 1.125 I also have CTD's in Division. But I suspect it's related to 16 GB double sided ram not stable @ 2933 MHz with 1.125 SOC voltage. The 16 GB modules are 3200 MHz with 14-14-14-14-34 timings. I'm currently running them with 16-16-16-16-36 timings. If I try to go any higher than 2933 MHz it fails to boot and I have to clear CMOS to get it going again. It's been several days since my last CTD. In BIOS 0805 (AGESA 1.0.0.6a) SOC defaults to 1.1v. after a BIOS flash. But interestingly after clearing CMOS it defaults to 0.8*** again :3eyes:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hey thanks a million, that's very useful information! I'll try raising SOC voltage a bit, currently at 1.100 V with 3.85 GHz and RAM at 2933.

Ctds with stock clocks too though but that doesn't mean SOC voltage couldn't help as default SOC is very low.

14. T0mate

T0mate Member

GPU:
    R9 290x Tri-X OC
    What is CTDs ?
    I've play The Division only 3h30 total but only on my ryzen build and I don't see any issue.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Crash To Desktop

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hang in there, you will :p

(your AMD GPU may also help, based on Ubisoft's Division forums lot of users have crashes and most use NV GPUs)

17. T0mate

T0mate Member

GPU:
    R9 290x Tri-X OC
    I encounter CTDs on ghost recon.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Has AMD given any safe limit for SOC voltage btw?

I remember hearing 1.1 V is pretty much given but one should avoid going past that too much?
    The value can be increased up to 2.500 V (!) and goes red past 1.400 V in ASRock BIOS. So 1.4 V is too much obviously but I take the actual safe limit is lower?

Tried Division with SOC 1.125 V, so far so good, completed 3 phase Challenging Underground Ops without crashes! Increased SOC to 1.13x V to be on the sure side, based on Webhiker's post.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think 1.2 is the upper limit not to pass. 1.1 is the one a lot of people use.

20. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Correct. Asus recommends no more than 1.2V SOC for daily use. For stabilizing higher memory speeds, you can also try adjusting ProcODT (CPU on-die termination) to something between 60 to 96 ohms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.