Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CrazY_Milojko, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just updated (via autoupdate), thanks :)

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yay for quad core support.

Could be placebo as I just updated, but some of the heavier pages out there feel slightly more responsive now.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Dang. This has got to be the biggest update in a long time. I've been using Firefox since the beginning and had gotten used to its relatively slow speed. After updating to 54.0 64-bit and changing the processcount to 8, it is flying compared to just a day ago. The browser opens in the same time, about 1 second, but my 9 tabs that are my homepage no longer lag and chug. Clear multi threading at work and it's awesome.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It doesn't hurt to use even something higher. I use 16 now and 4 for extensions. Pretty massive improvement. Firefox is a much better browser now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Vast improvement. Uses less ram with more tabs open and with no lag.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hmm, it seems odd that telling FF to use 16 threads on a 4/8 thread CPU but I'm open to trying it. Also, where do you change the amount for extensions?

Indeed. This is my experience as well. My Hotmail (Live or whatever it is now) inbox was so terribly slow just a few days ago that I almost started using my phone to check email. Now it, along with everything else in FF, is super fast and responsive.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not odd really, I want each tab to have on process. Though, I rarely have that many tabs open...

dom.ipc.processCount.extension (for webextensions).

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Thanks for that. I'm going to stay with 8 processcount and 4 processcount.extensions for now and see how it goes.

On another note, I also tried to switch to FF 64 bit and was all ready to uninstall the 32 bit version when I noticed that spellchecking wasn't working. No red squiggly lines and no way to get it to work. The FF option for "check my spelling as I type" did nothing. The "highlight misspelled words" setting in Windows Settings didn't do anything either, since I think it is only for modern apps. Is anybody here using 64 bit FF, and if so does your spellcheck work?

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Intall the add-on for it.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    What language? I haven't had any problems with spell checking. Just add dictionary from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/language-tools/

It would be great if Firefox would support Windows' spell checker though. That would solve the lack of Finnish spell checker... Voikko is no go since it would stop working after Firefox accepts only WebExtensions.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    It seems odd that the 32 bit version does spellcheck natively and the 64 bit doesn't, but I'll try this out.

I went to that link and scrolled down to the en-US section, but there are 2 separate dictionaries and one language pack. Any idea which is the one I'm looking for?

EDIT - It was the first one in the en-US section. It works nicely, so I'm going to keep using the 64 bit FF for a while and see if I can finally dump the ol' 32 bit version.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    That's a good question. Probably because of compatability between 32bit and 64bit. SO it needs to be installed manually.

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Firefox 54.0.1 gets released, available both via ftp and autoupdate.

Release notes:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/54.0.1/releasenotes/

Version 54.0.1, first offered to Release channel users on June 29, 2017

Today's release is the first to run Firefox using multiple operating system processes for web page content, making Firefox faster and more stable than ever. Learn more about how multiple processes strike a “just right” balance between performance and memory use on the Mozilla Blog. Dive into the details (including performance benchmarks) on Medium.
    We'd also like to extend a special thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox!

Fixed

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    My Firefox returned to default today for some odd reason, so i had to re-enable my Theme, and all my extensions, add-ons etc...., but, i was running a complete Theme, with one of those lightweight ones (Personas?) together at the same time, and now, i can't remember how i did it, as it was that long ago.

I remember switching between them, and then going into the about:config, and changing something in there, so that they'd both appear together again, anyone know ?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Ive done it! :D

I just entered the Persona Themes ID number into the LightWeightThemes.SelectedThemesID string

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sad days, I just realized Cyberfox development might end, So i guess i gona have to migrate everyone i changed to CF back to FF 64bit.

I hope Mozilla final worked all the kinks out of there 64bit, I kinda like the CF defualt setting has all plugin disabled by defualt though

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was watching a live youtube stream with FF 64bit just now and it kept stopping and buffering, I asked in chat if anyone else was having the same problem, someone said yes with Firefox, but not with Chrome, I installed Chrome and no more buffering.... so I guess not all the kinks are ironed out yet

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    which saddening to me seeing CF 64 worked better then FF 32bit and 64 bit bit when last tried it

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm not having any major issues but I'm on nightly. Give it a try.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nightly is at 57 now. They haven't disabled my add-ons yet! I'm using it with the new servo css engine, it's quite nice with just a few issues here and there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.