Nvidia GeForce 382.58 Vulkan beta Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dr_rus, Jun 10, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Get it here, as usual: https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

Driver build date: 06/08/2017, one day later than the WHQL 382.53.
    Branch: VK381_66-17 (382.53 is r382_48-3)

Direct links:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/38258-win10-64bit
    https://developer.nvidia.com/38258-win10-32bit
    https://developer.nvidia.com/38258-win8-7-64bit
    https://developer.nvidia.com/38258-win7-8-32bit

Release notes:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. norton

norton Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    thanks so much i was waiting for updated beta vulkan driver

3. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    in this driver is fixed firefox?

This is in open issues now:
    Quote:
    [Firefox.exe]: Browser errors may occur or the browser may crash with NVIDIA drivers. [200301372]

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Anyone interested in trying these drivers with DOOM? Particularly Kepler had weak Vulkan performance.

On a sidenote, was there ever a word about DOOM supporting Shader Intrinsics on Nvidia?

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    This is a beta driver for Vulkan developers, it doesn't fix anything besides that.

6. dmod

dmod New Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Was hoping these would fix the artifacts I was getting when running DOOM with Vulkan API. Downgrading to 378.92 or switching to OpenGL fixes the problem. Any driver newer than 378.92 produces these glitches.

can't post links :(
    edit: now I can

Video of issue.

Video was recorded running 382.53 but the glitches are still present in 382.58 and Vulkan 1.0.49.0.

GPU is a Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Dual OC running factory OC clocks. GPU temperature doesn't exceed 65°C. Switching to Debug Mode aka running default Nvidia clocks doesn't fix the problem either.
    OS is Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.332. Up-to-date as of writing.

Switching graphics settings to low, ultra or anything in between, disabling AA, or running the game Fullscreen or Windowed doesn't fix it either.
    Only solution I found so far is to run the game via OpenGL or downgrading to 378.92.

:(

Others having the same issue here, here and here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't think so and considering the fact that Bethesda is in bed with AMD now I don't expect this to change.

8. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    These 382.58 drivers give me odd artifacts on startup right before the Windows desktop should appear on two systems (one with Titan X (Pascal) + GTX 1060, second with GTX 1080 (Notebook version).) The desktop also feels really unresponsive with them and Gsync seems to not be working properly. I used the latest version of DDU in safe mode and did a clean install of the drivers on both systems.
    It's just a beta driver, I do hope these issues won't creep into the release branch, however.

Going back to 382.53 drivers resolves these issues for me on both systems.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I wonder if they are ever going to fix the issue with the Vulkan API selecting a secondary GPU. In other words, if for example, you're running a 1080 Ti and at 980 Ti, if you select Vukan in Doom or 3Dmark it will run on the 980 Ti.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Yup, it's annoying. The same happens to me, it uses the 1060 that I've dedicated to PhysX/CUDA instead of the Titan X (Pascal). The only workaround that works for me is to temporarily disable the 1060, start up the game/program to begin rendering on the Titan X and re-enable it later.
    I guess it's something that needs to be fixed in the API itself, as I've heard users with combinations of video chips from others like Intel and AMD also experience this problem.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes indeed. It is not limited to Nvidia. AMD users with mixed GPU's have reported this too.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is Vulkan supposed to be faster than OpenGL?

The only reason I ask is because in DOOM (2016) on my machine with a single (G-SYNC) monitor and a single GTX 1080 Ti I found I got 10-15 fps less with Vulkan on the same level at 3840x2160 than I did with OpenGL. Where I got 95-105 fps with OpenGL, I got 80-95 fps with Vulkan on the exact same level and with the same settings except for the API used.

In fact, the only reason I never used Vulkan for that game is that on my previous GTX 1080 I could run 4K @ 2560x1440 and v-sync on at a smooth locked 60 fps but with Vulkan not only was performance jerkier but the framerate would dip below 60 fps from time to time, which is supported by my current findings with Vulkan v1.0.42 in the v382.53 WHQL driver. It's why I've never understood why anyone would use it. It is actually worse than DX12 vs. DX11 as the performance difference is much greater not just 1-4 fps.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Vulkan will be faster if you will be CPU limited.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've not done extensive testing but Vulkan also runs faster on my machine than OGL.

15. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Same & especially for me. :banana:

16. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    i have a problem with devil may cry the refresh rate stays stuck at 23hz at 1080p that suks

17. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Damn i finished that game like 4 times and overused the snapmap and i think a lot of people did that too, having that game just for benchmark is really a waste of space even if you have more tha 4TB of ssd.

I can't believe that's the only relevant vulkan game.

18. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    opengl is much better than vulkan in doom for me too... but vulkan looks died... even dx12 don´t makes what promised... games with less cpu usage and better framerate

i think dx12 are a worst api "update" i ever see

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    OpenGL is better for me. There are certain cases like initial load-up of a level that Vulkan will show higher fps, but, this is misleading because OpenGL gives higher overall fps. Certain indoor situations have much better performance than Vulkan especially where there's a lot of glass and lights.

However, some people have noted W10 gives bigger difference than W7 (which I'm using) so, I assume W7 experience isn't comparable to W10 Vulkan.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Stormyandcold + squalles - I'm glad I'm not the only one that experiences better performance with OpenGL than Vulkan. To be honest, I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my setup because everyone was singing Vulkan's praises. I am using Windows 10 Pro by the way, the latest Creators Update v1703, but Vulkan ran slower even on the previous two builds too. It also feels, it's hard to explain, but less smooth in motion too, especially when turning. It just does not "feel" right to me. OpenGL runs smooth as butter on my system.

Maybe it's just AMD graphics card owners who are excited about Vulkan because, in my past experience, their OpenGL drivers have been traditionally poor so Vulkan would definitely benefit owners of those cards IMO.

It's the same with DirectX 12 really. It's underwhelming on NVIDIA hardware only because their DirectX 11 driver was so well optimised compared with AMD, whose driver had a higher overhead, especially evident on less powerful CPUs. As such AMD look like their performing better only because their DX11/OpenGL driver had much more room for improvement.