Selling PC Hardware?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by vdelvec, May 29, 2017.

1. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I was wondering if this forum had a FOR SALE section in which members could sell PC parts/hardware that they no longer need? Any links would be greatly appreciated!

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Just login to the forum and scroll down until you see for sale.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I think you need a certain amount of post to sell stuff though.../not sure?

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Here it is:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

..but it's not yet visible for you: 100 posts at least to be able to view and sell via G3D's "For sale, buy or trade" section.

General rules:
    This is an announcement already: http://forums.guru3d.com/announcement.php?f=12 but the announcements tend to blend in with the forum and to make it more prominent I thought I'd make a sticky containing this info as well.

Dear users of the For Sale, Buy or Trade section here at Guru3D.com.

We recently implemented a new scheme where by you are required to have at least 100 posts and to have been registered for at least 4 weeks before you gain access to the For Sale section. Once you have filled the requirements you are moved into a new valid registered user group and the section will become visible.

This seems to have worked well, and any casual scammers have surely been deterred as they obviously cannot see that the section even exists. However, the scheme isn't perfect and there have been some problems recently. There have been a lot less than before but obviously we want to protect our members as much as we can.

We have discussed possibly increasing the limit before access to the section is gained to the following: You must be registered for 6 months and have at least 500 posts. This would cut out a large number of this particular forums active users though, so we decided against it.

Therefore what we're trying to do instead is make sure you guys fully understand the risks when you buy from or trade with someone from the forums. Honestly, the majority of the times a scam was committed was because the buyer was too trustworthy, has not checked the seller out thoroughly and basically hasn't been careful enough.

Guru3D.com does not accept responsibility for any events that occur in this section. You deal at your own risk, but we want to offer the following advice to avoid any deals turning sour.

First of all the old saying: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. In relation to the forums, what this means is if a newbie user comes in and starts offering hardware at very cheap prices you should definitely be very careful. I know people will see the cheap price and jump at it, but use your head. Are you being realistic? Probably not.

The next thing is to check out the person you are buying from. You should request photos of the item with their name written on a piece of paper next to it for authenticity. You should verify the sellers name, home address and home telephone number. You should also get them to post references. By references I mean ebay feedback, heatware or you can check our own trader feedback thread for example, just some reputable source showing past transactions this user has undertaken. That way you can get a reasonable picture of the seller’s ability to keep their word and keep the buyer happy. If the seller has no references then personally I would request that they ship the product first and you can pay upon receipt. Either that or no deal would take place. Next thing, does the person have a free email account such as hotmail? Anyone can get these, scammers and spammers make use of them all the time. It's not very reputable and is something else to bear in mind. Obviously it is also best to deal with someone who has been on the forums a while, has a good reputation and seems like a nice guy. Don't look at post count alone as post count really means nothing. Check their posting style and check the sort of posts they make. Are they useful or do they look like they were written by a five year old? If it's the latter, that obviously doesn't reflect very well and would definitely put me off personally.

If possible, I would recommend buying or selling an item by way of a method where you have some form of protection. Maybe both the buyer and seller have ebay accounts, in which case you could list the item as a private auction on ebay and buy it that way. It would probably be safer this way. Same goes for payment. I don't know about you, but I will never do direct bank transfer unless I trust the person a great deal as I do not really want my bank details known to a stranger. Using PayPal as a payment gives you protection and if there’s a problem you can file a dispute. It's not always reliable but it's something. If the buyer is paying by a cheque, don’t send the item until it’s cleared in case it bounces!

The best way to get an item is of course to go and pick it up. That way you can see it physically before you buy, see it working, have a chat with the seller, and pay in person. You would also save on paying postage. Speaking of which, if sending an item please make sure it’s well packed and protected from damage. Use a box or a padded envelope combined with bubble wrap or air packed bags. Make sure the address is legible and make sure the package is insured for its value in case the worst happens.

With all the above in mind, I hope your activities in this section go to plan. Just bear in mind that not everyone is trustworthy and you do certainly need to be careful.

There have been thousands of successful deals here and the number of bad deals is very low in comparison. Whilst we can’t get a 100% success rate for these deals we would like them to be as pleasant as possible.

-The Guru3D.com staff.

ALSO TIP: When you pay through PAYPAL , paying by Gift (PayPal) means you can't reclaim the payment.

When using Paypal make sure the sale of based on a sold PRODUCT -- that way you can alwuyas try and reclaim money if something went wrong.

Please contact hallryu if you have any issues with a sale thread and would like advice. IF you believe that a scam is in progress please contact any of the Guru3D staff (Forum Leaders) immediately for the matter to be investigated.

5. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    That's a fair and good practice to hve users have at least 100 posts and be registered for a few months time before allowing them access to do business through the forums. I don't mind waiting; I just have some pretty desireable stuff I'm sure people would like.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Cool...I can help you get to 100 fast!...Is your GF pretty?(or ugly like mine:bang:)......Did you vote for Trump or Hillery?....do you like amd or intel?....Is a 7700K really the fastest gaming processor?

:D

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD > Novidia

Thank me later :D

8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Used stuff Can be Better than New.....one man's trash is another man's treasure!

Still loving my 2600k that sykozis gave me.....

The day I see a game that min req are more than a 2600 is the day i get an XBox...

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    hmmm, I can't see the trading section of the forum.

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Whadda you got?

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    damn it, how come I can't see the trading section? Will be selling my 1080 reasonably cheap, was going to put it up on here as well as ebay and gumtree.

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    4th up from bottom

https://i.**********/RCnYTvwT/FSOT.jpg

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    not showing for me
    [​IMG]

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    criteria must have changed with the new forums?
    pm the boss.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Can you see it now?

16. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Im willing to buy a 1080 today for a Hamburger on tuesday!