Antivirus solution / suggestions

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by cryohellinc, May 1, 2017.

1. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Also appears to have no reviews what so ever....

3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    You...you i like :)

4. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    i dont use any Anti-Virus apps software or whatever its called. i dont have any protection am using windows protection thingy duno whats it called too

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Key word power users, People that know wth they doing and how to fix it if goes to ****, Majority people dont fall in to catagory Nor does using plain old common sense always cut it.

For MAJORITY of people this is asinine suggestion which is more of understatement. I also think the whole industry sayin AV programs do nothing and people should stop using are being paid to say this, cause it would make things so much easier for governments get into peoples systems

Anyway I still use Avast Free,

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AVG and Avast are now the same company. Still separate products, although I believe this is more in the direction of just UI and user experience, the detection stuff would be very similar.

I like the comments 'never had an AV and never had a virus'. How do you know you haven't had a virus, trojan, keylogger etc if you haven't used anything to detect them? The same people who say this are probably people who never go for a medical checkup. They haven't died yet, so obviously they're in perfect health...

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I wasn't aware that Avast had taken over AVG. I fully expect the AVG name to be phased out over the next couple of years. AVG was the first free AV and was very good back in those days but fell into disrepute for a while. The newer versions have rebounded but now that Avast has acquired them, it makes sense to continue both brand names for a while, but not forever. I also suspect that the Avast and AVG branded products will be exactly the same behind different UI's. Avast is a fine product but they have added too many things to the free version that I don't care about and feel have no place in an AV product. I'm using Bitdefender Free which seems to be excellent, especially in it's web protection and is extremely light on resources. It has none of the added "features" of Avast (which I used for years) and simply is a scanner of everything that comes into or goes out of your system. It only has one configuration option, On or Off, but I don't believe it needs anything else. It quarantines things and you can then choose to exclude them and they won't be scanned again. The product learns how you use your system and tailors itself to that. I highly recommend it.

8. philp

philp Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    Kaspersky. Been using it for years now and it works perfectly

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    long as avast does not become resource hog like avg became, which why i stopped using avg, After stopping using avg i used ClamAV for while but that had no on demand scans modules, and and in the end things got bad so i went to avast.

10. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    AVG has always slowed my system. I try with every major revision just to see and its never not been a resource hog in a way no other AV has ever impacted my system.

I stick with Bitdefender Free. I don't need bells and whistles.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still wating for bit defender free get out beta for windows 10 or is official support now

12. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, the new BD Free has been out of beta for some time now. Supports Win10 officially.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nod 32 is the worst av I've ever used I wouldn't use it for free. I've used pretty much everything over the years. Best I've used is bitdefender combined with malwarebytes and adw cleaner.

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Yep I'm using it on 3 systems and it's great. One is my desktop gaming rig with Win 10, another is my RCA atom based Windows 10 tablet, and the third one is my 2011 Windows 7 AMD laptop.

BD says it needs a multicore CPU. I thought about using it on a single core Celeron 1.6ghz desktop with Win 7. I asked Bitdefender and they said it would work but there might be slowdowns so I stuck with Panda free on that one which works well.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    time to gice BD free a try again

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I used to use Avast but nowadays it's just a bloated mess that slows down your PC noticeably. Now I use Norton. It's much lighter and faster than Windows Defender which makes it already worth it.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    never will i use norton, there crap infested systems so badly that it use to take hour to uninstall it from systems.

Stormyhorse likes this.
  18. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    If you need FREE, i would only use BitDefender-Free at this point. All other free ones either cause weird issues, or just plain suck.

As for built in windows-defender, i guess it's probably OK but even that has caused me issues in the past, and it kind of turned me off. Maybe better now but still i can't imagine it being as effective as BD.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  19. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I use Avast Free. Just remember to untick most of the things during its install to keep it lightweight.

Not using A/V is a bad idea. Wannacry can infect systems that don't do anything other than being connected to a network/internet if your port 445 was open. Has nothing to do with using common sense.

20. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Obviously backups are a must :) I'd still prefer not being ransomwared though! Just amazed that some gurus think that just using common sense is enough - exploits in browsers and operating systems can't easily be prevented and viruses can infect when those are exploited.