Need a new (smallish) android device to replace my Nexus 4

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by bbsmitz, Apr 30, 2017.

1. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    So the digitizer on my Nexus 4 is dying after 3.5 years of heavy use. I don't have time to go through the ringramole of replacing it, so it's time to upgrade. However, I really don't want a phone that is larger than my old Nexus 4. I liked the size as is (4.7 inch screen). Also, I'd like to stay on android.

My price point is around preferably $250 and under.

My issue is that everything decent near that price seems to be too large, and anything that is the size I want, such as the Sony Xperia compacts, Galaxy A3 etc., are a little bit too expensive. I did find the international 2016 version of the A3 on amazon for a decent price, but I live in the US and it doesn't support the LTE bands I need (AT&T's network).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

-bbsmitz

2. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    So while I understand this has been a hot button topic and people have had very strong opinions about what phone I'm going to get :p...

I've narrowed it down to these two.

Blu Life One X2 Mini ($189) vs. HTC One A9 ($250) Comparison below; both have strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7576&idPhone2=8621&

If anyone has owned either, or owned phones by HTC or Blu and has strong opinions, please feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

-BBsmitz

3. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Nexus 5X it is.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    This, plus it'll get Android O. I think it's EOL next year but you can always update it unofficially.

Last edited: May 3, 2017

5. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Thanks for the input guys. Is the 5x really that much better than the 2 I listed? Specs wise better processor definitely, but less RAM than either of the other 2. It's a bit bigger than I'd like and quite a bit more expensive, but I have very little experience with phones so maybe I just don't see it.

-M

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    It's better because it has the support of XDA behind it. This means it'll get updates (unofficially) for longer than Google will supply them as long as you're willing to flash them. Plus Nexus phones are always awesome.