NVIDIA compatibility bits master thread and IQ guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GuruKnight, Sep 9, 2014.

1. shadow85

shadow85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 STRIX OC (SLi)
    Any Gears of War 4 SLI bits that work?

2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It's a DirectX12 game, thus developers have to code multi GPU support for it. Contrary to previous DirectX versions, there's nothing drivers can do to force it in that API if the game doesn't support it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Technically it would be possible to "adjust" ingame DX12 Multi GPU, if the developer uses implicit rather than explicit support.

Explicit = full application control
    Implicit = application support + SLI driver profile

There are a few DX12 SLI profiles in the driver if you guys noticed, which is probably NVIDIA preparing for future implicit MGPU in some games.

4. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Only for 3DMark API Overhead Feature Test and Fable Legends (cancelled) when I checked, so basically no games.

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Like what games? Does even a single game using implicit DX12 multi-GPU exist? As far as I'm aware current DX12 games either don't support multi-GPU at all or they use explicit mGPU and their own implementations (like AotS, RotTR). NVIDIA can't support something that doesn't exist in the first place. :D

6. shadow85

shadow85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 STRIX OC (SLi)
    I have got Deus Ex: Mankin Divided working with SLi.

7. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ah, so DXMD uses DX12 implicit multi adapter mode for multi-GPU? I can't find any real information about it and don't own the game myself to mess around with it.

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Deus Ex uses explicit MGPU in DX12, and is entirely handled by the application.
    Scaling is far better in DX11 mode in this game though :)

There are no games yet using implicit MGPU as far as I know, but still nice to have the driver prepared for the day these developers get their act together.
    Honestly I don't see much future for DX12 in general (even for Single GPU), except for maybe Microsoft's own crappy Windows Store games.

9. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, that's what I thought about implicit DX12 mGPU, just wasn't sure about DXMD. As a SLI user I'm glad NVIDIA already has something in place, hopefully it'll also work well when/if a game using it does come out.

10. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    Updated : Finally Bayonetta AA flag Works on 21:9 resolutions

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Thank you, I have now made the necessary corrections :)
    Still haven't added your Mr. Shifty information though, but will get around to that soon as well.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    BTW I have now also added the Mr. Shifty SSAA information, as well as made several general improvements to game descriptions.
    The spreadsheet should be fully up to date with the latest quality information :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    nice great , btw Thank you to all who have contributed in this thread :) bookmarked a long time ago

14. cinoaz

cinoaz Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 560Ti (2) in SLI
    Star Citizen / DX11 and 12 / Vulkan

Granted I really don't fully understand all the SLI Bits but anyone have a chance to look at Star Citizen?

I've been messing around but not sure which DX11 profiles would be a starting point? Star Citizen I believe is migrating to Vulkan, which from what I understand kills SLI unless specifically coded for it.

Since I'm running Windows 10/DX12, maybe I need to add launch option to launch the game in DX11 then find a compatible bits for the SLI profile.

Yeah, like I'll figure that one out...not. Any help from the Gurus on this?

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have never played Star Citizen, but provided it still runs in DX11 mode, you could try the "0x000040F5" profile or alternatively "0x080040F5".
    These are typically the "go to" SLI bits for most recent CryEngine titles.
    Personally I highly doubt DX11 mode will ever be entirely removed in Star Citizen :D

Here is a picture to show you how to perform the most common tasks in NVIDIA Profile Inspector (which can also be found in the OP under the "How to customize the driver profiles" section):

[​IMG]

16. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
  17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Did you actually try some of these custom profiles I suggested, like for example "0x000040F5"?
    Please also remember to check with something like MSI Afterburner or similar, if Star Citizen is indeed still running in DX11 mode.
    I would be happy to add the game to my spreadsheet, provided you include some high quality screenshot comparisons (Single GPU vs. 2-way SLI) with FPS numbers.

Very interesting information indeed :)
    Personally I don't own GOW 4, but maybe it would be possible for another user to provide some hard data on how well the game actually scales with DX12 MGPU?

18. cheddle

cheddle Guest

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 1080ti FE
    im currently experimenting with tri-sli 1080ti - requires modifying profiles...

As I work out what profile works best to get three-way SLI working and scaling properly Ill share them here.

Perhaps a dedicated "pascal 3/4 way" column? im guessing most of the 'compatability' will already be in the standard 2-way profile and its just some generic changes to make it work with three way but im having mixed results.

for example ive got Metro last light working just fine but the same settings in rise of the tomb raider result in flickering shadows. In mass effect andromeda it results in less perforamnce than two way - same result in Battlefield 1. There must be something im missing. Im using the old Maxwell 3-way bridge not a 'metal prong' 3-way bridge so it could just be bandwidth issues. that combined with my 5820k's 8x8x8x arrangment - im sure its not helping.

19. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    That's just 3-way. 3-Way 680s flickered in Witcher 3, 2-way no issue. You'll find lots of 3-way issues like this, likely one reason they dropped more than 2+. Not to mention high-bandwidth bridge needs both pin sets, so if you're linking 3-way you lose that too.

20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    @cheddle

Most of the information in my spreadsheet would also be suitable for at least 3-way SLI, irregardless of whether Maxwell or Pascal cards are used.
    Unless of course there are obvious issues like flickering.
    But any input you might have is very welcome :)

Mass Effect: Andromeda is bandwidth limited beyond 2-way SLI though, and would even need PCIe 3.0 x16/x16 for optimal performance.
    I'm affraid your 28 lane CPU is holding you back in some of these new games, especially in 3-way SLI mode.

Last edited: May 3, 2017