When do you think phones will hit a new level?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Serotonin, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ImageofChris

ImageofChris Guest

GPU:
    gfx 570
    Agreed with the people that says battery life. I think we are moving towards a digital media that is handheld and also can call :). Im just waiting for implant with VR :)

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I say tech will move faster than that. I think cell phones will remain stagnant and ultimately be replaced within a couple decades with something else, something worn or even implanted so we can all be cyborgs.

As to battery life, we're already getting there. The phone I recently bought my daughter already lasts for 3 days with ease. 4 days is also possible. My current phone does 2.5 days. I sometime go days without charging. Just because "flagship" phones have crap battery life doesn't mean you need to suffer. A solid mid-range phone is often the all around better experience.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I can't understand how the "state of art" phones have such a miserable battery life, when 150$ Redimi Note 3 Pro last twice as much, while being faster than the galaxy series, i just lol at this everytime.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    But it does.. I can get up to 3 days out of one charge with the OnePlus3T

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    That was kinda the point I was making I only need a day anything beyond that is nice but not necessary for me at least.

6. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    the only thing interesting to me about a phone is my ability to send a text and make a phone call...imagine that. I like voice to text when driving but most of the time my little microphone icon, which is near impossible to access while driving anyway is not there. Actually I don't think it's been there for a while, guess google removed it.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I probably wouldn't notice for several weeks if I lost the ability to make calls from my phone, texts I would notice immediately, but I rarely make calls

My phone is mostly WhatsApp, Camera and Texts with some twitter & reddit apps to pass the time

8. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I won't text and drive, I'll call before I do that, especially now that I can't seem to voice to text anymore. Though you'd likely notice quickly if you saw as many serious accidents as I do. I've had to call 911 for someone 4 times this year already. It's pretty sad how many bystanders flat out don't call much less help, they just stare or slowly drive by. Of course 911 operators are pretty stupid too, it's like a world of stupid these days.

Last year was the most pathetic, a lady got t-boned right in front of me on a busy highway, I was trying to pry the door open and guess how many stopped to help? 911 kept asking me stupid questions as I'm trying to wrestle this fat lady out of a tin can while holding my phone with my shoulder up to my ear like "what color is the vehicle?"...really?
    No I would definitely notice if I couldn't make any calls.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    My use of phone is anything but a phone, a small mobile gaming device(mainly angry birds and tekken), web, some apps, whatsup, GPS and fighting with my OCD while trying to change wallpaper.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

I don't drive, so probably don't see accidents anywhere near as often as you, the past 8 years I've lived at this address I can remember 2-3 accidents, two were fairly minor bumps, one was a big one with a car flipping outside the house at 2am, but by the time I'd woken up, realised the noise was not the chimney falling off the roof, looked out of the window and my brain clicked on to what had happened, the neighbours were already out and cops etc had already been called

The last time I used my phone to call emergency services was over a decade ago when again I'd just woken up, looked out the back window and stood in shock as I saw the house opposite suddenly consumed in smoke coming from the downstairs of the property, never having seen a house fire before I guessed that's probably what it would look like and called the fire department, then ran outside to see if I could help

Got to the side of the house to see a guy standing in his open garage firing up an old broken generator that was pumping out enough smoke to cover the entire street, phoned emergency back up and explained it wasn't a house fire but they had to come out anyway, so 7am three fire engines with sirens and lights blazing came screaming into the street...

11. Walyngh

Walyngh Guest

GPU:
    Memory size
    I liked the recommendation about the purchase of Nokia 3310. That's for sure, having lost that and having returned to the old one, you will begin to appreciate what is at the moment:nerd: