The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 has shipped today direct from EVGA according to my Order History although I've no idea when it will actually arrive as I've yet to receive any confirmation email or tracking number.

Also, the EVGA website seems to be throwing up a warning for me. The US site www.evga.com works fine but the EU site eu.evga.com gives me a warning that it is insecure whichever browser I use on my PC or iPad. Is that the same for everyone else?

2. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4090 OC
    I see.
    You guess I'll have to invest in to better cooking solution.
    Bf1 is the only game where the driver crashes when I go above 120MHz
    Fps stays at 60 mostly but sometimes dip in in to 52-58.
    So close to achieving flawless 4K gaming.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Dipping down to 52 is not going to be solved without an insane OC, which isn't happening.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Gents, when you quote your OC ie +xxx, is that above the stock FE speeds? because if not then its a little pointless as the point of reference is not the same on all cards.

Surely the maximum boost clock is all that's important?

But is it, as Turbo boost 3 will throttle the card once you hit the 120% power limit anyway (irrespective of what core clock you set on AB) and from my findings the voltage slider makes zero difference.

5. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Solfaur your score should be higher with such clocks...you should be Throttling a lot...anyway very good card you have

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah well, that +150 core/+600 memory is stretching it a bit, it's just benchmark stable. :p I could probably squeeze more out of CPU too, just for benchmarks, but meh. Right now I'm using +138/+600 for games, will see if I have to lower core a bit more.

As for ME Andromeda, I did some digging and apparently it's some sort of bug with the game/driver which happens to some people. It even restarted without any OC on the card... I'll just have to wait for a new patch / driver (perhaps do a fresh install with DDU) to fix it.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I found that with BF4 on my 780gtx, for me if it was BF stable then its stable.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I run the card at max OC when gaming at 4K/60fps since the card needs the extra juice. So far I'm happy with the results. Running the card at stock does make the FPS go below 60 in some cases.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I know but it's not a stability issue anymore. It literally does the same thing (system restarts) even with stock settings. I played BF1 maxed, Witcher 3 maxed, GTA V maxed, Rise of the Tombraider maxed (DX12), no problems whatsoever and these with +138 core/+600 memory... :3eyes:

As for the Wildlands vs For Honor choice, well I redeemed the key today and apparently Wildlands is "out of stock". Seriously? I have time until April 28th before the campaign expires, is there even a chance of a "restock"? :bang:

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I got Wildlands and didnt like it, true i only played for 30 minutes which im sure isnt enough but ive never been a huge fan of 3rd person games, well maybe except for the original MGS.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Thing is, I wouldn't have bought either For Honor or Wildlands if it wasn't for this promo. At least with Wildlands I can use it as a benchmark since it's pretty demanding.

Apparently they "restocked" their keys, I could redeem Wildlands now, will try it out.

12. VanuSovereignty

VanuSovereignty Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No youre doing it wrong. You can just go willy nilly with the memory OC with this architecture. Read HardOCP's review, they cover this. I initially had an OC of +150 core / +500 memory and with +500, +450 and +400 MHz memory on different hotkeys via MSI Afterburner I sat there in The Witcher 3 and +400 yielded the highest FPS which I also was seeing in Firestrike. +400 memory yields a higher bench than +500 as well.

This was covered by someone over on OC.net a few weeks ago, basically you reach a point where the memory loses stability and your peformance suffers with this architecture without getting a display driver failure or artifacts AND too high of an OC and now youre robbing power from the core.

I'm at 15,300 with an FE in Firestrike Extreme on Win 10, (-300 points on the OS I actually use, Win 7) with +150 core / +400 memory, no additional voltage, no shunt mod insanity / nonsense (prematurely blowing up hardware for a 1-3% gain: dumb).

Edit: Can't post a link HardOCP's overclocking section in their review because of post count. This is stupid.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That is odd, for me, I started at +300, +350, +400, +450, +500, +550, +600 and with each there is performance gain in both firestrike, timespy and unigine benchmarks. After +600 however, even if it's just +625, performance starts to go decline. I can't comment on if this is true for games too, because I run them capped @60 1440p. But Witcher 3 for example runs maxed (hairworks too) in Toissant Palace, with my 1070 I had drops in 40s in these spots.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Could someone please bench a few titles in 3200x1800? Thanks.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Best Graphics Score yet (though bad overall score).

Ran the test at +130/+500 with fans at 100% which yielded a stable 2101MHz clock.
    Anything higher than that (2114MHz) resulted in an app crash.

[​IMG]

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Nice score man, I can sometimes do 2114 in Firestrike/TimeSpy, but for 100% stable 2101 is max. :)

17. VanuSovereignty

VanuSovereignty Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Interesting, maybe because youre Gaming X and I'm FE and maybe also your core doesn't overclock as well (I think I truly won the silicon lottery because mine is 100% stable at 2038MHz core which it holds under 49C with zero additional voltage). If youre only say 2000MHz core stable, which is about avg., then maybe the additional memory bandwidth isn't diverting wattage away from the core as your core requires a tad less, that and I think Gaming X is 330W? So the memory is actually seeing a positive effect from higher bandwidth as, core may be taking 15W less (speculative) and you have an additional 30W. I don't know. But for me, pushing more than +400 MHz yields declining returns. First time I've experienced this, with every preceding architecture, the higher the memory OC the better, as long as you didn't get purple square artifacts and or display driver failure it was a gain. (but MAYBE because every preceding architecture there was an unlocked vbios in the wild relatively quickly that increased the power availability too).

I think the Gaming X is shaping up to be the best of the bunch, people are reporting load temps under 50C with the overclock and the fans at 70-80% lol. This was NOT the case with the predecessor, whose 6G cooler was only marginally better than reference. People were sitting in the mid 70's even with the fans at 80%.

18. VanuSovereignty

VanuSovereignty Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Details?

Shunt mod, voltage, temps?

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's the other way around, I actually think I won the lottery too, because the card comes at stock boost of 1950MHz core clock and I can put +138 100% stable (aka 2088-2101MHz) in games, also ran hours of Time Spy, Fire Strike, Heaven loops and played games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Wildlands, BF1, Rise of the Tomb Raider with zero issues. It can even do 2114MHz in benches. :O

And yes, all this with +600 memory aka 12.2GHz (+100 voltage, 117 power, 90 temp, + 138 core, +600 memory, custom fan profile with fan at 100% when it reaches 70 degrees. Card never went over 61, even with 2114 core @ 80% fan speed though). After what you told me I re-benched yesterday 3DM11, Firestrike, Timespy and Ungine ones at +400, +500, +600 and again +600 always gave the best result. So don't know, maybe it would be more noticeable in-games but since I still play capped at 60, I never see the drop there either.

With my 1070 (also Gaming X, but SAMSUNG memory) I could push memory to +700 before it started to drop performance. It could even do +800 with 0 artifacts or crashed, just that the performance was worse than with +700.

20. VanuSovereignty

VanuSovereignty Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Voltage? I wouldn't run 1.093v for an additional 70MHz. I wouldn't run any additional voltage with this card. Voltage, not just high heat, kills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.