Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bn880

bn880 Guest

GPU:
    -
    To clarify, it is what's called "no load limit" kicking in. We need a way to adjust the limit % down from 30% OR to adjust the frequency of the limiter. I saw an article here techhouse-news blogspot ca /2016/05/geforce-gtx-1080-overclocking-guide and it mentions the no load limit as an option, but there's no option that I can see.

The article also indirectly suggest the temp target affects the no load limit, but I think it's wrong.

We need more control over these clocks please.

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    There is a neat little option in the settings of our display driver.
    When you go in the 3D programm settings you can set the performance mode from "Adaptive" to "Prefer maximum performance".

3. bn880

bn880 Guest

GPU:
    -
    Hello, I know about this, doesn't change the low load limiting however. So the afterburner feature is still required.

4. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Hi Unwinder,

Would it be possible to change the Voltage curve display format?

Currently you can move the points around, shape your curve and the fine offset line will change to be above, on or below the curve. It is workable, all be it hard going at times If you understand that is what the fine line is telling you but can be really confusing when you have two of the heavy curves saved that look the same at first glance but actually be totally different.

I think it would be more intuitive and make the main adjustable curve more visually meaningful if you change the display layout so that what would have been the fine offset line remains fixed in the stock curve location and the main curve with the movable voltage points are displayed above and below the offset reference line depending on how they are set.

As it stands now, it is very difficult to fine tune a curve making little tweaks and then see what you have actually done to get the best result. It certainly makes it impossible to replicate curve again later unless you save it in one of only 5 preset positions or, lacking an undo option to roll back to the previous setting, exactly roll back to the last setting if you tweak too far.

It is also extremely confusing to make a small change to the curve but have it appear not to change relative to the other points around it or to go back to tuning a curve after a period of time and then remember exactly what you did previously to get there unless you have mastered thinking in abstract terms mentally juggling 2 moving lines and adding them together.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Unlikely. V/F editing curve implementation is dictated by NVAPI possibilities rather than my intentions to make your life harder. NVAPI is not allowing representing curve editing in your desired way.

6. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Thanks for the reply. I am not suggesting that your intent is to make life harder for us. I appreciate the stirling work that you have been doing on Afterburner.

I am not sure that I quite follow your answer though. I am not suggesting a change to by-pass NVAPI or a change in the logic behind the curve changes, Only a change in the way the user interface is presented to the user. Precision XOC's graph interface is generally terrible compared to your Afterburner method of changing voltage points but they do represent the parts of the curve that have been overclocked more clearly because they are all adjusted relative to a fixed reference point.

These simple examples are only to illustrate my meaning. Curves that have many small adjustments send the offset reference baseline up and down in many zigzags making it almost impossible to work out exactly what the curve is doing.

This is currently how Afterburner represents the curve with various sections either overclocked, not overclocked or underclocked.

[​IMG]

This is actually the same curve before clicking the accept button. I think that presenting the graph this way when it is operational just makes it easier to see exactly what you have done, particularly if you are making small tweaks or trying to compare 2 different curves with one another.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Another idea: make optional two step OSD switch. Right now, AB/RTSS have on/off hotkey for OSD - I suggest expanding this to off/on-1/on-2 cycle, with the user being able to control what graphs/sensors are being shown in on-1 and on-2 states. This can be used to specify, for example, a minimal and full OSDs by default, with minimal showing just FPS number and full adding other stuff. Or to split the readouts in two groups, shown in two steps - one for GPU and one for CPU for example.

I personally would like to be able to see per thread CPU load in OSD sometimes but generally I'm ok with the common CPU load percentage. Hence the idea.

8. Unwinder

Making MSI AB monitoring config saved into profile slots sounds like more unified solution for me. I'll think about it.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    There are quite a few things discussed here that have been implemented into AB/RTSS in one way or another.

10. Tenshi07

Tenshi07 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1080SLI
    I would love to see the ability to set which monitor MSI Afterburner will prioritize to as default. At the moment, if you disconnect the secondary monitor, and then put it back in, the application will move to primary, and then stay there. Some of us have reasons to disconnect monitors. HTC Vive runs better on one monitor plugged in rather than 2, for example. The problem is that people have to move MSI Afterburner back into position if they are using it for readouts. Having it on the primary display is not ideal if you are gaming on that display. Moving it back to secondary monitor is a hassle. Hope this makes sense.

I just want the option to choose which display should be default, and when that display is reconnected, it will automatically move the application back to that monitor.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Here's a rather funny idea: add Win10 1703 Game Mode state monitoring to AB sensors. Possible values are n/a, on and off. No idea if it's even doable as I don't know if MS provide any way of getting this state for 3rd party applications.

12. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Did you try https://www.displayfusion.com ?

13. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    With newer cards coming out where each fan (up to 3) can have it's own fan curve, would be nice to get the ability to have multiple fan curves or link all fans together.

Currently with my EVGA FTW3 Afterburner only controls the GPU fan, the other 2 are not affected.

14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    And it won't change:

15. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Well that's unfortunate. Guess we need to convince nvidia to support multiple fans in the driver API (which they probably will never do).

Sucks because Precision X is miles behind AB/RTSS in terms of feature set.

16. afterburned

afterburned Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Broken GPU
    1. Add hotkey for Monitoring logs (start/stop)
    2. make option for logs to generate filenames with starting time & date.

17. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Update the mobile app.
    In IOS only works with compatibility mode for example. It's a shame because is the only application that allow to monitor the sensors in real time while you are gaming without using a secondary monitor.

18. Cryengine

Cryengine Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080 Ti oc
    Add an option to monitor low fps and max.
    Thanks in advance

19. Unwinder

Benchmark tab in AB 4.4.0 allows you to do it.

20. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Related to this, I was wondering if it would be possible to have an option to hide the API label in the framerate counter on afterburner's monitoring, and also, if it would be possible to be able to set up the position of the OSD differently for each afterburner profile (such as, for example, having the OSD in the top left for profile 1 while having the OSD in the top right for profile 2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.