Review: Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X. Yes, AMD today unleashes its six- and quad-core parts. The new processors will be even more price competitive towards what Intel offers. And if you do your math ...

Review: Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X processors

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I feel like I may have jumped the gun too quickly lmao.

3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Nice review ! please if is possible upload some overclocked gaming results.
    3200mhz memory not possible ?

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Great review as always Hilbert.

(you might want to correct the use of 7 instead of 5 in a lot of the tables, before anyone notices, oops!)

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    And just as I predicted - the 1500X has a nearly (but not literally) negligible performance difference compared to the 1700 in gaming performance.

Good to know - that's what I wanted to get all along, but I'm glad this proved my point that we don't need anything more for the time being. I couldn't care less about getting beyond 60FPS, so any latency issues are irrelevant to me.

Looks like I know what I'll be buying next!

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    The R5 1600 (non-X) might be the best purchase for longevity. 4c8t is a bit old-ish atm.

8. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Why did you used Rise of the tombraider dx12 , when it's a known fact dx12+nvidia card's run bad on ryzen for some reasson , specialy RoTB

9. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    The 1600x has killer performance for the price, but like before, bet the 1600 non x will yield the same performance once overclocked. AMD did great on that chip. My buddy wants to do a build, and is not wanting to spend a lot. 1600 is gold for him!

Cheers for great review Hilbert!

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Looking at results though it's funny, only a few fps difference where real world you will not notice a difference and it's 4 threads less. So what does that saying about Ryzen 7 and application support...?

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Until consoles move beyond 8 cores, an 8-threaded CPU makes for a healthy minimum. When you go beyond 1080p, the GPU is the bottleneck, in which case having more cores still isn't going to help a whole lot. The 1600's lower clock speed currently puts it at a greater disadvantage for gaming purposes than the 1500X. By the time games can take advantage of 12 threads in a way that offers you performance you need, you'd be better off buying a new system anyway.

Of course, those who do stuff such as recording/streaming while gaming would have more of an interest in the 1600 or 1600X. I personally run little to nothing in the background (no music player, no AV, no recording stuff - nothing) so the 4c/8t is plenty sufficient for me. I won't be doing any production work on this PC either, so any non-gaming benefits are irrelevant to me.

EDIT:
    I completely agree. In many cases, you can even remove another 4 threads and most games will still be playable. I have said from the very beginning that Ryzen 7 is not and wasn't intended to be for gamers. Though, it is undoubtedly the best-valued workstation CPU, if PCIe lanes and memory bandwidth aren't a top priority (obviously those are legitimate limiting factors to some people).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  12. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    An OC'd 1600X seems like such great value coupled with a B350 board. Its just a shame that DDR4 prices are where they are, especially for the higher frequencies that Ryzen loves.

You have to pry my R7 from my cold dead hands but R5 6 core looks like the sweet spot for an all-rounder system. I would avoid that quad core personally..

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Now what kind of **** reviewer would I be if I left out results just because they perform better or worse on Brand A versus B? Mate, the idea of a review is to provide you guys objective data and analysis so that you can see performance and features from many angles, hence you can make a decisive and informed purchase / decision.

14. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    And that's when Ryzen 7 1800X sales dropped from the cliff...

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Why this site continues to thrive year after year.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And DX11+NV+Ryzen runs faster than DX11+AMD+Ryzen.

What now

17. DarkLiberator

DarkLiberator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    1600X seems like insane value.

18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Like others have said OC 1600 looks like the killer value here, but that 1500x OC'ed is even better since the cpu + mb price is the same or less than a quad core Intel i7 cpu!!!

This just freaking amazing value for the kids or anyone who games and not need more than 4C/8T! It is totally overkill for bog office work too!

Just incredible! AMD is back big time!

I would have loved to see max OC for both 1500x/1600x on LCS for academic reasons.

Hilbert should just have a king of gaming shootout with Ryzen vs i7-7700k all OC'ed and valued on price.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The 1600x looks like the "right" CPU for any person wanting to have a new and fast CPU without giving an arm and a leg. I can't believe it gives 12 threads and is basically priced as an i5. As an all-arounder is a no brainer.

I would still go for the 1600 and OC it, same for the 1700.

EDIT: When is AMD fixing the offset thing? It's really making these CPUs look worse, while they're actually extremely cold chips.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Damn pretty much 6850K performance for $400 less across the board.