Review: MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For our next X370 review we move on-wards to MSI with their grand X370 XPower Gaming Titanium. This top of the line Ryzen motherboard is stylish alright, wrapped in that Titanium look and feel the mot...

Review: MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

2. MrAMD

MrAMD Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    HH

Do you know if the M.2 slots can be put in a raid config? If so, can you raid NVME M.2 drives?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, there is no official support for that.

Even then, you'd also seriously need to worry what that would bring you as one M2 slot is at PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 and the other is linked though the chipset and this is PCIe Gen 2.0 x2 links I believe it was.

4. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Overclocking comparison

@Hilbert as there have been a lot of bios releases since the first benchmarks, is there any chance we could get an overclocking comparison of all the 370 boards running the latest bioses?

It wouldn't need lots of benchmarks just a comparison of max stable CPU overclock and the fastest memory settings achievable on each board. I think this would be really valuable in helping people decide which board to go for.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    All boards clock the same as the primary factor in tweaking isn't the motherboards, it is the processor. On air most CPUs can reach 4.0 GHz, with liquid cooling 4.1 maybe 4.0. Currently I am working on Ryzen 5 reviews, and even B350 motherboards offer precisely the same overclocking experience.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Hi Hilbert,

Great review, as always :)

What would you think to adding a FLIR photo of the Motherboard under full load, with the Liquid Cooler installed ?

It would give us a good look at what components might be getting warm, and i've seen that the memory power phases can get a bit warm too.

Just a thought, so you can use that expensive FLIR camera some more :)

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I wonder if that was meant to say substantial. It's kind of sad these are the best things about a mobo so expensive, so in that sense they really are substandard as well, I guess.

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    40 fps behind in tomb-raider at 1080p? Even Fx 8320 is faster then ryzen there.Wow!

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I've come to the very unscientific conclusion that most games with really poor performance on Ryzen is not a problem with Ryzen but a problem with the game engine.

10. N0Name

N0Name Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    What wonders me is CPU-Z single threaded performance. According to it 1800X is almost on pair with i7-7700K. I'm suspecting that this test uses only one thread so there is no communication etc. and hence good score while in i.e. gaming there is more then one thread and communication latency issues happens.

Also with this Quake2 experiment, software rendering, I don't know why Ryzen 1800X did locked itself at 3.8 GHz, it should skyrock to at least 4GHz or even (assuming good cooling) XFR kick in and push it over 4GHz.

As for the gaming: welcome to modern society where Sales department rules over Development departments.

Also in MadMax with Vulkan we can see huge improvement on nVidia Linux gaming side (AMD got improved, but not as much):

So I think that issues, like one seen in ToomRider, are mostly issues with game itself.

@HH
    Is it possible to test higher rated memory i.e. 3600MHz?
    According to support page:
    board should support up to 3866 mem, but probably that's overkill from value / performance point of view.

PS. Regarding CPU-Z, it may be also that test itself is not memory intensive so all data is kept within L1-L3 cache and hence don't trigger memory issue.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Excellent review as always Hilbert. It got killer looks but the lack of features for that kind of money it's a deal breaker.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why exactly would you want to? Even SATA SSDs don't really have any real-world benefits from RAID.

RAID0 would likely decrease performance due to CPU and PCIe overhead, and even overhead wasn't an issue, you wouldn't notice a difference in real-world results. If raw write performance is what you're looking for (so something like high-speed HD camera recordings) then I'd recommend looking into RAM drives. If write performance is what you want, well, it doesn't matter anyway because in most real-world tests, you wouldn't notice the difference between M.2 and SATA. If capacity is your priority, you'd be better off getting a SATA drive (they're much cheaper at larger capacities).
    I've thrown around the idea of doing doing 4x SATA drives in RAID0, but I tossed that idea out once I realized that in real-world scenarios, it doesn't accomplish anything. I'm just giving you a heads-up so you don't waste your time.

SSDs nowadays are pretty reliable and have predictable lifespans, so RAID1 wouldn't be worth it either. Realistically, you're more likely to be the cause of data loss than hardware failure, in which case performing regular backups would be a more wise choice.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Ouch! The conclusion tells very well what Hilbert thinks of this board... And he has a point when a 300€ MB has this kind of issues. The MB makers really dropped the ball with Ryzen.

14. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm asking this seriously, not sarcastically. There are several white motherboards from difference brands now, for the benefit of lighting. Even with dust filters, over time there will still likely be some fine dust build up. It is noticeable with all the lighting effects?

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I do not know but I hope that is the case, Cause Fx 8-core being ahead is just like a slap in the face.I hope they can get this ironed-out I really would like to upgrade soon.

17. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    Even as a fan of MSI's products for quite a while now, it's nice to see such an objective review that calls them out for dropping the ball on this board. This kind of unbiased stuff is exactly the reason I come here first.

18. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC