First full review of AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Website El Chapuzas Informatico posted a review on the Ryzen 5 1600 processor. The Ryzen 5 1600 is a six-core, twelve-threades processor that has a Turbo clock 400 MHz under Ryzen 5 1600X and would b...

First full review of AMD Ryzen 5 1600

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Aside from the comment mentioned in the article, memory still seems to be the main issue. Other than that, for a 3.6GHz (turbo) part, I'd say it fared pretty well.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    This the cpu I am waiting for.

Just waiting on bugs and ram to get better.

Ill be happy with it @ 4.1 anyways. What I run my 3930k at for gaming.

4. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    Why were they testing with memory set to 2400mhz?

5. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    "G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600 MHz @ 2400 MHz"
    Just lol
    Ryzen memory compatibility is the biggest fail ever :\

Ps total warhammer is soooo mafia...:bang:

6. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    cause amd made a cpu hungry for ram bandwidth but whit a memory controller fu**d as hell :banana:
    I'm really disappointed about this fact

7. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Why is this CPU pushing higher framerates than a R7 1700x in some games?(Doom OP GL, RofTR dx11)

8. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Because they could not get it higher....seems to be the BIOS

Which is strange....my Ripjawz run absolutely fine at 2666 on my Gigabyte A350 Gaming3 with my R7 1700.

CL is up on 16 instead of 15...but early adaptor allways are the testbed...

HD gaming is a no-brainer...one could really pick whatever one wants.
    4k according to the benchs stills seems also ok, depending on the game.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    My Z170 mobo had memory compatibility issues so bad I couldn't even get to bios initially. With a second set of modules from the store I could get the PC to post, but memtest returned absurd amount of errors. I managed to update the bios and the system was finally set.

According to your logic Skylake memory compatibility must then be the biggest fail ever as well. In reality it's not. It was just a fresh out of the oven mobo. You should build more PCs to gain experience and perspective.

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    It was the bios not the mem controller itself stop spreading FUD

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yeah I really don't understand this. So many people whine about what a failure the AMD memory controller is when Intel's hasn't been a whole lot better (but, it is currently better).

Sure, AMD had a rougher start with memory than Skylake, but Skylake also isn't a completely new architecture. It's basically just Haswell with a die shrink, DDR4 compatibility, and a better IGP. So, Intel had plenty of time (and money) to get their BIOS done right early on.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me hardware that doesn´t work out of the box as they should are always a fail! And this applies to Intel, AMD, Nvidia and other hardware makers. I think that for the amount of money we pay for hardware the least we can/should demand is hardware that works properly...

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Technically it does work properly. All memory over 2400Mhz is out of spec. Supposedly they are going have an addendum up to 3200 - but it's not out yet.

http://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/docs/jesd79-4

So technically in order for AMD's memory to work properly it only has to function up to 2400Mhz. Everything else is just bonus.

Meh, the only real difference is that Intel has tons of time to get stuff right before launching it. AMD is/was running out of money and after multiple other delays of Zen couldn't afford to wait a month to get work on Q/A with board partners. I personally don't think it's a big deal anyway, will be entirely resolved in like another month or so and no one will care anymore.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You have a point but i think it´s expectable for AMD and Intel to work with higher speed RAM. The same applies for MB makers that a lot of times list support for speeds that far exceed the normal speeds set by AMD/Intel.

And of course my reply is not only about Ryzen´s Ram support but about all the hardware being released that many times don´t work as they should.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As a general rule-of-thumb, you should never buy into any fresh new technology unless you're ok with the idea that something will probably go wrong. Doesn't matter who the company is or what kind of tech it is. Whether it's a car, computer parts, media format, software engine, etc, they're all known to have major problems at first. You have to either live on the cutting edge and take risks, or be patient; it just isn't realistic to have the latest and greatest without issues.

16. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    trident z are not the latest of the memory kit, they are almost something "standard" for those who want to buld a certain kind of pc. Support for modules like this should be guaranteed from day one, imho.
    Anyway, my last build was with some of the first ddr3 module (yes, i gave up for somethime lol) but i have no memories of similar problems

i'm not so sure. it was said, in effect, that ryzen's memory controller can, potentially, reach 4000 mhz. But motherboard vendors are waiting for new agesa relase because it is amd with her microcode that have the possibility and the duty to enanche ram support. If possible...
    Am i wrong?

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Is that an accidental pun or are you talking about hardware?

AMD does have upcoming microcode updates that are supposed to fix some of the memory problems (I don't suspect the newest one will allow us to tap into 4000MHz though) and yes, it is likely many mobo manufacturers are waiting for that before doing anymore official BIOS updates. But, there are also some manufacturers that seem to be a little lazy when it comes to BIOS updates that should at least allow people to go faster than what they're at now.

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If these guy's numbers are right, how is the 1600 reaching 6700k levels of performance in Tomb Raider? They didn't test the whole thing from the start? They had Windows Updates and Bios updates in between, and they didn't retest with all CPUs again, right?

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The review has zero credibility, their numbers are all over the place.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Better wait for Hilbert's review on this cpus.