Review: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we check out the all new RGB series Vengeance DDR4 memory from Corsair. Not only do these puppies look awesome, they are properly specced as well. We received a 4x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CAS 15 DR...

Review: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 memory

2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Great review HH. Well written and very informative. Much appreciated. Articles like this are what I love reading from you. :)

3. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I love how sleek it looks. The RGB isn't tacky on it either.

I know it's superficial and a lot of people are on the "hate RGB" bandwagon, but I really like it.

4. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    I would like to know how these stack up against the G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Also, I wonder why they use LINK and didn't utilise CUE2 for this. If I ever get these I'd like them to work together with my keyboard and such.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always Hilbert ! I do like the high end stylish black matte color of the heatsinks with RGB look of this kit over the G.Skill Trident Z RGB.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Great review, quite a few typos though..

"the memory bandwidth numbers will chance dramatically"

I know, I know.. I hate to be that guy :|

7. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    I guess I'm the only one out there that isn't fascinated with all the RGB lighting lately. Lighted RAM, lighted AIO coolers, lighted graphics cards, lighted fans, and cases with lighting strips all over them. What's next? Lights that mount on your arms and hands- or maybe a jump suit with lights all over it to wear while your gaming and a RGB lit helmet?

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Lighting looks great, however there are some very important downsides that you must consider before going towards a lit build:
    • it only suits cases with side Windows
    • silent cases aren't so silent with a side window, so best option would be to opt for a case with airflow instead if going for a lit case
    • cases on the floor to the right of the desk will meant the window is facing the desk, no good if the desk is largely solid on that side (or has draws etc)
    • if the case is in the bedroom at night and you have it on encoding or whatnot whilst sleeping, you have a pretty bright nightlight (positive or negative :)?)
    • if the computer is on the right side on top of the desk the lighting can often be distracting
    • the lighting may look good now, but in two years time when you still have the same build, will it be cheesy?
    • current options are 'showey', if they still have them in the future I believe they will be more 'glowey'
    • how much extra cost does lighting add to manufacturing, and how much extra do you pay for the end product currently for the privilege of having lighting?

So if you do have a case with a side window, I think subtle glows of certain colours would be better than a randow mix of reasonably bright colour. By subtle glow I mean something that won't light the side of your face if you are in a dark room with the computer on the desk next to you. Adjustable brightness LED's would be nice. Maybe sometime in the future a central light controller (controls all lighting) might be an option on some boards connected to a light sensor, such that the lighting is adjusted automatically depending on room light (soft glow in dark room, bright glow in brighter rooms as a showcase).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2017
  9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO

All the lights in my system have controller software, I use Cam Software with my HUE+ LED system which can turn them off an on, change colours, brightness and patterns etc and I have Crucial Ballistix software which does the same thing for my ram, you can have a system with leds and control it all via software.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah that's what you need! The question is, will it still be on trend in 2 years time, and will new styling make current syling very meh? I must admit some of the effects look good, some of them are superfluous, and some of it just looks crap. This is particularly so when it is overdone. The LED uniform glow IMO looks signficantly better than having it look like the source is coming from LED's (if that makes sense), as well as being something that won't look dated in a year or two when they decide to change it.

11. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    wrong thread - delete

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017