Chris Robert's "Star Citizen" to use Vulkan exclusively - for best interoperability!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by vase, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I did not bother checking dx12, but their commitment to Mantle goes back to 2013.
    Meaning short period has been off the menu for quite some time.

Indeed. I think they have jack, but thats just me going on a limb.
    I really dont know much about the game, and I am not in any way invested, money, emotionally or otherwise, but that guy sounds like an awfull project leader.
    He would support anything from S3 Virge to Bantu tribes in Uganda. It doesnt work that way

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm not negative. I just mock Roberts and his decision that will lead this game never to be really made. He's the classic type that can't stop himself, completely bad for leading a project such as this. He should have stayed as a creative lead, not head the whole thing.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Are you Derek Smart?

xD

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Jeez,

At this rate, the people who gave money to CR are going to be leaving their usernames and logins to their children.

I've switched to a higher fibre diet and more cardiovascular, so hopefully I will still have something enjoyable to read on my deathbed when the reviews of the final game are released.

And, I am looking forward to the final reviews. A lot. I have already bought shares in popcorn companies to benefit from the windfall of the huge demand when the reviews get released. I also took a night-class in journalism in the hope that one day I can work for the BBC as a newscaster. I think after maybe ten years of schooling and another twenty working for the BBC with an impeccable record, perhaps with the necessity to stab a few people in my meteoric rise to lead anchor, I will be in a prime position. As the day might come when I am sat in front of the nation on live television and get to announce the game being finally released and getting the sort of reviews it will, and then just point at the people at home and laugh. For ten hours straight.

I could be elected Prime Minister.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The game will have to come out, too many people invested too much money in it. It will remain a tech demo though, no chance is this getting released in the next 3 years with all the content implemented.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I suspect at some point they might go the Elite: Dangerous way. Release what they have, add content later on in updates (sold as $40 expansion DLC, of course.)

Anyway, Vulkan sounds good. If they're able to do it correctly, that is.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    For anyone not getting the reference:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4yfyi2/drama_megathread_2016_revision/

:D
    And then Roberts decides to make it a Matrix exclusive, not all that standard-monitor peasantry that most people have. Suddenly it's the great grand children that will play it, until Xenu comes back to punish us.

I'm so disappointed.

There will never be "all content" in this game, until Roberts cuts the cocaine and stops to think for a second in his life.

Let's not even compare Braben's project management to the clusterf*ck that is Star Citizen. If they were going that way, that's past now.

8. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i wished other developers had the same balls to turn over DX completely, i have no expectations for this game, but the way they are committed, and dont give a **** about Microsoft closed API, they just won me over.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    And not even for the reason of saying no to Microsoft.. just for the sake of being able to sell a product intended for multiple platforms.. if more developers focus on Vulkan they can target more platforms than just Windows.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, there are quite a few games out there that don't support DX at all. Only GL and Vulkan. Like Doom 4 :)

11. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    This game will never launch or get past alpha lol

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well, they use Lumberyard so there's some level of power behind that engine and updating it to run via Vulkan...

13. Kalel83

Kalel83 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4GB
    For some reason people here are either silent in the comments area or negative when Star Citizen news comes around. Almost never are they positive or neutral.

It is simply a lack of awareness from these people. Time will fix all, so I tend to not stress over it. But it is sad to see.

As for this specific issue, they were always going to support Vulkan. Nothing has changed on that. Only new thing is they are not focusing on DX12 as well as heavily. So if anything this decision gives them less work, not more.

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Kalel83
    because we woke up from lala land and face reality that this will be released in a couple of years as tech demo.
    i was interested until about a year ago.
    maybe it gets gold be the time i retire. something for the winter evenings...

15. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Next year they will drop Vulkan to go full DX13

16. Kalel83

Kalel83 Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4GB
    It was already clear people are upset before you posted this. I am not sure what you are trying to add.

You state you faced reality, where I think you are avoiding it. But to each their own I guess.

Maybe it would be good to remind yourself that while you are entitled to your opinion, the fact you have an opinion doesn't make opinions that disagree with your opinion wrong. It just means someone feels differently then you.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  17. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
  18. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2070
    Funny back in 2012, no body belive in CR's idea/vision
    Butt now they have 145mill dollars to work with, no pressur from board members that just want a quick money train. They got all the time needet to make this game the best. An it will come out an be the "Best space game ever"

Good things take time to make. Keep in mind some of the better mmo's did take 6-7 years to make.!

Also we have been able to follow this prosses/game get build all the way, been enjoying the ride. When you have been buying games over the last 30 years. you really enjoy the openness from CIG.

Alot of ohter game studio's can learn from this.

Proud backer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  19. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I forgot this game was still in development. Have they actually released anything playable, or is it all just tech demos and such? Is this replacing DNF and Prey? I miss those being in development limbo.

20. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    for me it looks like a good move, if there is no benefits why everyone should be bound with one os, it will run on ReactOS !!