The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Don't need one of these cards as the GTX 1080 is fine for 98% of the games I'm playing at 2560x1440 allowing for maxed out settings at mostly 60 fps. Of course, that logic and commonsense does not stop me wanting one but, thankfully, if I did buy one then I would want one with a custom cooler as the one on my current card has been terrific, resulting in much lower temperatures than I was previously seeing with reference cards. Since these cards are not yet available then it's easy to resist an impulse purchase. If I do buy one, and I may well decide not to and wait for GTX 1180 instead, then it won't be until June at the earliest anyway, at which point my GTX 1080 would be close to a year old.

£700 is a lot of money to pay for a graphics though even accounting for the fact that I could get some back on my GTX 1080 when I sell it. It seems like every year when a new high end non-Titan card comes out that it costs £80 more than the previous year.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    heheh that's true - was mostly thinking about Predator 240 XLR or this new version when it gets released soon, its ~ 20km away :D

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe that's cool :D

I'll probably stick to EK and will get myself block + backplate once I've made my mind on what card I'll take to put it under water.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I gave this a good amount of thinking over the past week, and in the end I decided to pass. I'll skip this generation of GPUs and instead invest in a g-sync monitor.

I'll wait and see what "Big Pascal" (or whatever they'll call it) will bring to the table.

I was *SO* close to clicking the "order now" button on a 1080Ti though... Really close.

5. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    simply don't have any more children to sell to buy this card

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, at least those you could make at home :D

Thanks for sharing, interesting read! I'm curious to see what they will do with the custom cards (if they will put them under water also and see if they indeed got a golden sample form Nvidia). Also, it's cool that they stated how to access the voltage controller via Unwinder's 3rd party hardware support for AB.

8. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    They just want to milk the consumers money with the 1080 Ti until the new geforce comes out late in the year. gl

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Say what? :eek:
    Oh noes! Who would have thought that they want to make money selling a GPU before the next generation comes around? :wanker:

:rolleyes:

10. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    It's all about the money and it's not comming cheap :p

Ps I don't realy care about money but It's general known that they could deliver much faster Gpu's right now ! insteat they cap the products and start the "milking" process !

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

11. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Agreed that's the way it is for a long time in this buisiness

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Hen is the 1080 Ti killer coming out. Later this year or next spring. Thanks

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like all the years before... and then, 2019, the killer for next year's chip will be released. Same with AMD's cards, their CPUs, Intel's CPUs, and probably the mainboards and RAM as well. What's your point? :)

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That point doesn't emerge from his posts, he's only stating the obvious, common knowledge, without any statement. That's why I was asking.

15. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    GTX 1070 SLI or this?

I currently have one GTX 1070, and could potentially get another one for really cheap (like 50% off its current market value). Didn't really consider SLI until I saw the price.

What I paid for my current one plus the potentially new one would still be way cheaper than a 1080ti... so which should I go for?

16. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Nailed it

980 Ti prices vs 1080 Ti prices, it's the nail in the coffin for high end PC gaming for me now

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, I think it's called "enthusiast level", not "high end." I think of the 1070 to be "high-end", while the Ti is the "enthusiast" card. The normal 1080 sits somewhere in-between.

18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  19. dizzin9

dizzin9 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
  20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Surprised there is that much dust on the fan already. :banana: I have one getting here Fri...I've got a yuuuge backlog of games I've refused to touch since going 4K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.