Ryzen 7 1800X Overclocked to 5.8GHz Breaks Cinebench R15 World Record at 5.36GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Inolvidable

Inolvidable Guest

GPU:
    MSI GXT 970
    I have been following Ryzen this weekend and although no improvement can be expected in some areas (overclock for example) IMHO there is objective evidence that suggest wide improvement room for games and other complex programs and some improvement room for single threaded software and memory latency (and bandwith) through software optimizations in microcode, in bios and in every program itself so they can adapt to the new architecture and take advantage of their strengths.

I think the improvements that bios, microcode and windows can bring will happen relatively fast. The ones that rely on changing software itself obviously could take a while. For the sake of everyone I hope that Intel won't be successful this time in preventing the adoption of Ryzen by messing with developers, OEMs or trusted reviewers ... Dreaming is free of course...

As a personal thought: We are talking about a new architecture in a new fabrication process with a new platform and socket in an environmet where every major software has been built and improved for Intel's hardware over years... What could go wrong? IMHO Ryzen has been truly competitive from day one, impressive in some areas and good enough in others, but competitive nonetheless. I am astonished by the accomplishments of AMD and, all things considered, also by how smooth the launch has been so far

I know I am an enthusiast of technology in general and the PC in particular. However Ryzen is showing me how deep this goes for me. I have had this past weekend for myself, alone, no kids, no wife, no responsabilities. I had plans, but I cancelled them because I simply couldn't stay away of the findings about Ryzen. I have been following several technical forums, reputable overclockers and other sites. Every new discovery about the platform was a thrill and I needed more. The findings about the windows scheduler in Win10, the limits of the overclock due to the fabrication process, the role of bclk in overclocking CPU and RAM, the improvements in RAM speed and timmings with each new bios ... etc..

I am pretty sure I am going with AMD this time. I know I will be getting an imperfect first generation product with very strong points that will serve me well and with some limitations which will also affect me (gaming performance, system and ST software responsiveness, software dependant on AVX2 etc..). However, for me, this is not about getting the absolute best (within my budget) but getting that technology that is giving me this enjoyment I had not experienced in years. At the same time, supporting the underdog is also a way to force more innovation and/or lower prices for everyone. This is not the reason I am going with AMD this time but it is a wellcome side effect of doing so.

Note: Part of this post has been copy/pasted from another one I made in other thread related to Ryzen

2. Zhyr

Zhyr Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SLI
    Regardless of which CPU performs best in games, AMD has created a fantastic processor and is now able to come close to competing with Intel again.

That means that there's now 2 reasonable choices, and hence great news for everyone.

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ryzen framerates are lower at 1080p too.

Ermm, you forgot about 144Hz 1080p monitors, GTX 1080 is a good card for those. I have GTX 1070 for 144Hz 1080p and to be honest I have to turn down some settings in Titanfall 2 to achieve a consistent 120-144fps in that game.

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    300 FPS vs 450 FPS in CS:GO was the deal breaker for me, and I can only assume that was tested on 64 tick servers. ESEA's 128 tick servers give even lower performance than that.

Very true, but lets be honest that was the same speculation when the FX CPUs came out. Imo, Ryzen would destroy current Intel CPUs in gaming if said games used 8 or more than 8 cores, no doubt about that. But that's not the case and Intel has slight edge against the best of AMD's in gaming.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No it won't. All these chips have done is bring more cores at a cheaper price but end of the day that doesn't change the fact that 4 core 8 thread 6 core 12 thread and 8 core core 16 thread CPUs from Intel have been around for 3 maybe 4 years now and some at a price that isn't that much more than the current top end Ryzen. Has THAT changed games? No not really the best you'll find from any game of the last 5 years is 6 threads, though I am lead to believe that Doom uses whatever it can get it's hands on.

So if game developers haven't bothered to change up their game development to take advantage of a CPU that has been readily available for the last 5 years why are they suddenly going to change up their game just because a 'cheaper' CPU with extra cores has appeared on the market? Even worse you have to also take in to account that this new CPU has to establish a market that has been long held by Intel.

I suspect that a lot of folk are clutching at straws, that everyone wanted this chip to appear on the scene and just blow what Intel has away and it really hasn't done that. It's good in some areas and worse in others and the best case scenario is everyone agrees that depending on what you want to do with your PC you now have a viable alternative to Intel that you can choose, but some folk just don't want to accept that, they're clutching at developers suddenly making their game engines better, developing the engines for better multi threading, develop their games so that they will work better with the new chip and given that game developers haven't done this so far with an established CPU market why on th earth would they suddenly funnel huge amounts of time and money in to doing it for a CPU that has to establish its place in the market?

6. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Higher framerate and lower latency are always good. I don't quite understand why some people are dismissive of either. I figure they don't know or they've forgotten what it was like to play with CRTs at high refresh rate and PS/2 keyboard and mouse :nerd:.

7. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Even though Ryzen is not topping the max fps an i7 7700k can top it's not fr behind nor the gaming performance is terrible. This is far from the Buldozer fail. This is a competitive CPU with some child decease every new platform has. I believe that Ryzen will mature way better into the future than any 4 core Intel is offering. Also we must take account that Ryzen is way more useful in other things except gaming. And even in gaming is useful when you multitask along side with the game like streaming for example or running something in the background. Unfortunately today we test and judge something only by the max fps number forgetting everything else.
    All these days I spent them watching and reading reviews from every possible source. Be it big and well known reviewers but also lesser known ones. Ryzen is a competitive product and offers great value.
    If AMD did something wrong this time is that they released the product without waiting for some basic patching and more stable bios. They should have waited a bit more and release a bit later with better Bios and the Windows patch. It's bad when you release something and then promise fixes via patching. It doesn't sound good to the average potential buyer plus the product is not getting the reviews scores it can get.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's that 0.8 Volt @ 5.8 GHz is interesting.

9. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yeah,undervolt and then push the limit with LN2.Kind of weird,but useful in OC.

or

"Overclocking the base clock (BCLK) on AM4 platform is possible, however generally not recommended. This is due to its frequency relations with other interfaces, such as the PCIe. Unlike with Intel's more recent CPUs, there is no asynchronous mode (straps / gears) available, which would allow stepping down the PCIe frequency at certain intervals. The PCIe frequency relation is fixed and therefore it increases at the same rate with the BCLK. Gen. 3 operation can generally be sustained up to ~107MHz frequency and higher speeds will usually require forcing the links to either Gen. 2 or to Gen. 1 modes.

Unstable PCIe can cause various issues, such as system crashes, data corruption (M.2 SSDs), graphical artifacts and various kinds of other undefined behavior."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Weird that G.Skill are selling ram kits that require raising the BCLK to achieve their advertised speed then (3200mhz and 3466mhz).

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    In actual stage of beta Bios from MB its hard to raise BCLK and stay stable.
    What ratio they recommend?

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT

Yes, for the next 3-6 months Intel cpus *may* see better gaming performance, until devs optimize their games for Ryzen--then it's "game over" for Intel iXXX. (Fixed it for you, don't thank me...;))

Seriously, how could anyone not know that? Ryzen's raw performance is better than Intel's right now--known fact. Game devs have optimized for Intel cpus for the past several years--when Ryzen is optimized for, that will be it...;) Same exact thing happened when the Athlon was first introduced--it happened with Intel's brand-new architectures, too. Prepare yourself, Ryzen's true game performance is just ahead...;)

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I hope you're right, because this would really kick up the CPU market into another gear & Intel would have to fight to compete. Thing is, only time will tell if this turns out to be the truth. In truth I think any gamer with a 60Hz monitor of any resolution can rest easy that a Ryzen CPU is a good buy, it's just for the folks who want say 90 or 100fps plus on 144Hz monitors where they're better off sticking with Intel for now. In fact, if I was building a new rig with a 60 or 75Hz monitor I'd for sure use a Ryzen CPU - cheaper & more future proof because of all those 8 cores, plus it would be awesome for non-gaming stuff too.

14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Meh I can live with a few fps less on the Amd platform,As it stands now Ryzen can pretty-much compete at every benchmark unless its gaming and even then its a few fps only.You get alot more on the Zen cpu! Its going to be 1700 for me I cannot afford to drop more on a cpu.

15. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    This is quite amazing, let's see how Intel responds.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

just going to leave this here.