Network application wanted...

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Morpheous416, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Ok Gurus...

Here's my issue.

No matter what I've tried, firewalls on/ off.. direct connection via ethernet, wifi.. turning on /off different network protocols, network sharing, home group.. etc, I cannot get my network to transfer files between one PC to another, any faster than typical dial up speeds.

Back in the XP days, I simply shared the drive over the network, the copy/ paste, or move to that drive/folder and within seconds, or just a couple of minutes.. the files were there.

Since using 7, and now 10 Pro.. this has become a royal pain in my backside.

Now.. having said all that, I do have an app on my Android, that's called Xender. Using that app, and connecting over Wifi (5 Ghz band), using the web browser, I can transfer any file type at speeds between 5 and 15MBs per second...from the PC to the phone, or back again.

Are there any good apps, that I can use, for PC to PC that would have the same benefits?

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Might just wanna try correcting the local transfer speed than start working around the problem with apps.

What you can try to do, is to disable LSO (Large send offload) on your network adapter.

Right-click on your network adapter, click configure and navigate to the advanced tab. Locate "Large Sent Offload v2 (IPv4)" and select disabled and reboot you computer. Do this aswell for IPv6 if you use that on your network.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Remove any security software from the machines in question and try again, seen that cripple network speeds many times

FileZilla client/server is an option for transfers, I use it for transferring to and from my Android, but can be used for PC>PC

4. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    Try updating network drivers on both computers. Had similar issues a long time ago and that's what fixed it for me.

5. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Drivers are all updated to the latest version... I try to keep all those updated unless there's a known issue with them.

I have tried using Filezilla as a transfer app.. I may give that a shot.. as well as disabling the LSO option.

Thanks guys!

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In what kind of network your computers are connected? Workgroup? Domain? Home group?

7. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    I've tried Home Group and Workgroup... it's all the same here.

Just seems, that if I can transfer a 1GB mp4 to my phone using Wifi.. at 12MB/s.. why or what, is causing the issue from not being able from PC to PC.

8. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    You can transfer a file from your computer using Wi-Fi and get decent speeds, but not hardwired between computers?

Do you get same speed from both computers over Wi-Fi or have you tested just from one?
    Can you list all the network adapters on both your computers?

Do you have any ReadyNAS software innstalled? If so, you might have a network adapter called ReadyNAS Remote, wich for some is known to cause alot of trouble. Try disable every network adapter that is not the local adapter on both computers and see if that works.

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    sounds like your router is the issue, i recently switched to sky and have new 5ghz capable router and have connection speed of up to 40mbs...double what i had with talktalk router.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You switched from ADSL to Fibre though?

TT is ADSL
    upto 40meg with Sky will be Fibre

11. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I was assuming this was between two local computers and thus the internet connection will have no impact. At minimum the router should have 100/100 Mbps connection locally.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It is local, yep

13. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    The Netgear cable modem I use, has the following:

1000 / 100 Mbps connection speeds.
    2.4 / 5.0 Ghz Wifi speeds.

My main system is connected directly with ethernet, and shows a 1.0Gbps connection. The Gaming 970 uses Killer Ethernet adapter and drivers.

My Android connects to the 5.0 Ghz channel and gets the 12MB/s speed when transferring files. I use this computer when transferring any files between phones, using Chrome as the interface between the PC, and Xender on the phone.

All other computers connect to the 2.4 channel.. and what takes my phone just a couple of mins, takes those upwards of 30 minutes, to over an hour to transfer to.

The reason it's really irritating, is because one of the other two, I use for an HTPC.. and I transfer all newly encoded mp4's to the internal drive, as well as an external drive, for watching movies. Now.. taking that into consideration, it literally is quicker for me to transfer said movie to my USB stick, walk it over and plug it in, and upload there.. as at least that gets up to 25MB/s.

If I could get a real transfer speed comparable to 12MB/s.. it would essentially eliminate my need to constantly attach/ detach my USB stick, which is probably going to die on me soon anyways from from the over 1TB it's gone thru already!

Keep in mind, I've done the following: (aside from making sure everything is updated)

Firewall / no Firewall
    Windows Defender is permanently disabled
    Malwarebytes on / off
    Wireless and direct ethernet connections

Top speed I can get, is around 1, to 1.5Mbps.. and that's the burst speed... it typically dives down into the 500, to 800Kbps range.

14. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Wait? If i understand correctly from your post, only one computer is hardwired and all others are connected trough 2.4Ghz wireless?

First of, if you have the Killer Ethernet adapter application installed, uninstall it right away. It's just a glorified QoS application and unstable by my recollection. If you want QoS, do it through your router.

Second, 2.4Ghz is "flawed" in itself. Max theoretical throughput is 300Mbps = 37,5 MB/s, but you will never see those speeds. If lucky, maybe between 30-80 Mbps.

I would suggest hardware both computers you are trying to transfer files between or get the wireless computer connected to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi.

15. Izi Cheeseborn

Izi Cheeseborn Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX980ti SLi
    ^ some computer can't receive or view the 5ghz signal. Get a recent edition wireless internet receiver dongle/stick-usb perhaps for a fast alternative.

16. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB

That's one of the things I have done as well.. as a long time tech supporter, I am well aware that the 2.4 band isn't the best, especially concerning the fact that not only does it receive the most interference, but 9.9/10 people don't know how to connect it to a channel that receives the least amount, as most of their routers are on Auto. The router I use, not only has it's own channel scanner to tell you what channels around it are receiving the best signal, I also use a third party app to confirm it.

I am posting a list of properties from the adapter, maybe someone can also spot anything that may cause a problem.

These are the only ones that are checked for any adapter type:

Client for MS Networks
    WMWare Bridge Protocol
    File and Printer Sharing
    Internet Protocol IP/4 and IP/6
    MS LLDP Protocol Driver
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder (and) Mapper I/O Driver

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It should at least transfer at a few MB/sec over WiFi, not KB/sec, I think that's his issue, provided the WiFi signal is strong enough.

I do agree with Killer NIC's though, install by searching the .inf through device manager, do NOT install their crappy software.

If nothing helps, try to boot from USB using a Linux distro and connect to the share and see if transfer speeds are OK, if so, we can exclude pretty much everything except your Windows/OS/Drivers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  18. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    During the last session of troubleshooting, that is what I did. Reinstalled the driver via CD thru the device manager. The Killer App itself, has never been installed on the system since I purchased the motherboard. MSI has it's "Command Center" apps.. and the only thing that I use from that is the motherboard monitoring software.. though that can be removed since other apps like Speecy do pretty much the same thing.

19. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

Image above, is the transfer of a file from PC 1, to PC 2.

PC 1 is the main computer, with Killer e2200.
    PC 2 is the second computer, with RTL controller.
    PC 3 has built in wireless adapter running at 72 Mbps connection.

First test after resetting the NIC controllers thru the device manager.

Hardwired from Killer NIC e2200 Gigabit, to RTL 8168C Gigabit NIC. Both show 1.0Gbps connection to network.

Less than 15 seconds to transfer a near 1.3 GB file.. typical of my USB 3.0 transfer speeds when copying files to my external drive (USB 3.0)

Cannot connect to PC 3 because of an unknown name resolution error: 0x80070035. This is from PC 1 (primary PC).

Could not connect to PC 3 from PC 2, same network name resolution error.

Can connect to PC 2 or PC 1 from PC 3 going backwards thru the network.

Wifi test with the same file to PC 3 from PC 2, maxed out at 800Kbps. File transfer initiated from PC 3.

I have an older Hawking USB 2.0 wifi adapter that I can try on PC 3, but the older Windows 7 driver causes a fatal BSOD Bad Pool Header when used on PC 1, or 2.

My goal: Get PC 3 up to transfer speeds of at least 20 to 30MB/s.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    By the way, do your three PC have different Computer Names, Profile Names? Check Windows Events for any network conflicts.