MSI Shows Optix G27C Curved 144 Hz Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    MSI is releasing a gaming their first ever monitor. It will be called the Optix G27C and is to be a curved gaming monitor with unfortunately only a 27" Full HD (1920x1080) resolution panel. ...

MSI Shows Optix G27C Curved 144 Hz Gaming Monitor

2. Alberello

Alberello Guest

8ms for a brand new Gaming monitor? :3eyes:

3. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    it's a VA panel though

4. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Its a VA panel, so is this yet another 2016 VA panel with good specs but in practice still to slow conpared to similar spec'd ips/tn panels ?

I have yet to find any VA panel that can compete with ips and TN when it comes to respons time.

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    1ms = TN = the crappiest tech ever for image quality
    the pixel responsiveness between 1ms and 8ms is one of those things you can't tell the difference except from the number on a spec sheet.
    VA has much better contrast and blacks.

6. 1080p @ 27" ggwp
    It gets better, the curve forces you to sit in monitor range where you will see the pixels in all their glory.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not keen on the idea of a 27" 1080p monitor, should have been 1440p.

8. Raplapla

Raplapla Member

GPU:
    -
    Agreed, I have no need for a full hd 27" monitor. Either give me 27" 1440p, or 24" 1080p (or 1920×1200)…

I do like that it’s a VA panel though.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Maybe for the average person, but definitely not for those who've grown up on fast-twitch games like fighting or FPS games, it's pretty noticeable for that group. Regardless of now noticeable it is, I'd take 8ms any day over any sort of TN. I don't know how anyone can tolerate those things. Hell, I think even VAs are intolerable, except for AHVA which is not a VA type and AU Optronics are just horrible at naming things.

10. Raplapla

Raplapla Member

GPU:
    -
    AHVA is the same as IPS, right? What is it that makes you dislike VA panels? For me the IPS glow is too much and I want good blacks; that’s why I’m looking at VA panels.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    As far as I know, yes, it functions a lot like an IPS. AHVA panels are the "IPS" panels in some high end 144Hz+ monitors like the Acer XB270HU (and 271?) if I'm not mistaken. I see them just plain marketed as IPS to prevent confusion.

As long as backlighting is a thing, glow will be an issue. Even my stupidly overpriced Dell U2713H, a "10 bit" (8 + FRC) AH-IPS, has noticeable glow on the edges despite being all about image quality above all else. Yet I'd still take this monitor over most of the options out there.

I find the issues non-IPS panels have to be far worse than glow. I don't like the viewing angles and colour reproduction on VA panels, the ones I had were quite terrible. I'm sure it's improved, but I still wouldn't take one over an IPS.

Honestly the blacks on any sort of LCD suck, even ones which have area specific backlight control. If deep blacks are really what you're after you're going to have to wait until OLED monitors become affordable.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  12. AKDragonPC

AKDragonPC Member

GPU:
    1080 ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Yeah agreed, the IPS glow issue is annoying but the viewing angles of va panels are real bad, even if they have better black levels you need to be sitting dead center to get them. Maybe curved va panels negate this somewhat.

I have been using an ASUS PB278Q for the past few years which has the ips glow but otherwise great image quality and viewing angles. Looking for a 21:9 gsync monitor moving forward I hear samsung is making a gsync version of their new quantum dot gaming monitor range. Will wait for reviews; specifically regarding viewing angles as the current freesync models use VA panels.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Just one thing to keep in mind, the further something is away from a square the lower the surface area. Ever notice how an old 27" CRT's surface area is enormous compared to a 16:9 27" monitor? 27" diagonally on a 4:3 ratio screen is a far larger surface area than it would be on a 16:9 Screen.

For 21:9 that's pushed even further, you'll have to look up the exact numbers. I'm just saying keep in mind you'll have to get a monitor with a larger diagonal length than 27" to match the same surface area as a 16:9 monitor that's 27" across.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Weird product. It's obviously not aimed for competitive gaming, yet it's HD resolution with size of 1440p native panel.

Bad choice for its price.