Display driver stopped responding and has recovered!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ZForce, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Intel INF installers don't install drivers.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes exactly :). The only purpose of the INF drivers is to allow the system to properly identify a device. If there are drivers used, it uses the generic Microsoft drivers as programmed from machine.Inf. Basically the INF installer is a name-only identification thing for the device manager, and a 'shim' for machine.inf.

So, if everything is already properly recognised the INF driver will, like Agent-A01 said, do nothing :). The only possible way it could resolve an issue such as this is it causing the reinitialisation of another device when the driver has become corrupted. This is extremely unlikely though, pretty much any time people insist the system runs better and all the other bull arguments it is purely psychological. Red cars go faster, right? :3eyes:

3. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    I run it through Steam, so I guess it gets updated automatically ??

PC is i7-4790K CPU of 4.00Ghz, with 16 Gb RAM, on motherboard
    ASRock H81M-HDS with BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P1,60, 06-12-13, SMBIOS 2.7

I have never updated a motherboard chipset. Is that just as easy as updating a graphics driver?

Thanks for all the help folks !

P.S. I wouldn't mind having a red car, either :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  4. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Well it depends whether you installed the game after the update or before and if the game is not starting then it might not be able to update I think! So its better you uninstall it and re-download it again from steam.
    Also your Bios version is too old! There are many Bios updates released for this motherboard after, they add features, fix bugs and stability issues. You should just download only the latest Bios version 2.2 file from the top here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

There are instructions there on how to update from the motherboard Bios utility. Its easy.

Also there are many driver updates for this motherboard here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/?cat=Download&os=Win764

Download and install only the Intel INF driver, Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver & utility (Important for fast & proper operation of SATA drives), and the Realtek high definition audio driver. Also get the USB 3.0 driver (Depending on which one you have). The VGA driver there is for the CPU integrated graphics and is not required since you have a GTX 750 installed. You should disable the integrated graphics in the bios to avoid any conflict! Also I would enter the proper RAM timings in the bios as well. Depending on what type of RAM you bought, some require a certain voltage and timings settings to work properly or they will slowdown or cause crashes. You only need to enter 4 or 5 settings and the rest leave on AUTO.

All these things should be done after installing windows 7 as Microsoft built in drivers are limited and too old! Oh and never update any drivers from Windows update!

Do all this and let me know.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

5. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    I'll get to work on it, thanks !! Will let you know how it goes :)

6. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    Oh darn....... I cannot get into the BIOS setup.... my USB keyboard doesn't pick up the key hits before Windows starts :-( Tried changing USB ports, but none seem to work. And I don't have a PS/2 keyboard anymore. Now what? Take the battery out !? *Sigh*

7. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    USB keyboards work fine outside windows. If it was working in Windows setup then it should work in bios. I think you are just not doing it fast enough. You need to press F2 repeatedly a few times just after you press the power button until the bios setup appear or a message appears.
    Anyway you could also download the Windows Bios Update utility its 3rd one in the list but make sure you disable your antivirus and all other programs running before you update.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  8. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    Finally, finally managed to get into my bios pages (after taking the CMOS battery out for a while) and updated the bios to 2.2 ! Yay ! Now on to those other files...... not tested the game yet, want to update everything before I re-install it.

9. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    Did all the updates now..... only the NVidia driver is still older (as per one of the posts above), and my Farm Simulator kept running for 15 minutes.... so it seems to have helped. I DID still see the NVidia message pop up again when I paused the game for a bit..... so maybe I now need to get the latest driver still?

In any case, thanks for all the help and I've learned something new .... I really CAN update the motherboard software :)

10. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Great :banana: well done. It seems that your computer needed some other updates than just the NVIDIA driver. Yes I would recommend you to try the latest NVIDIA driver now and you might not get the error again. Anyway you can always reinstall 347.88 again if it gets any worse! Make sure you use DDU everytime though. Also keep your PC clean with CCleaner and MS DISK Cleaner, check all system files and do all Windows updates.
    Your welcome and best of luck.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

11. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    this only happens when either

1. card overheats

2. to high of an overclock

things that will determine.

what are the normal temps when not doing things that make it crash?:pc1:

what are the temps when doing things that make it crash?

when was the last time you opened up the computer and cleaned it out?

12. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Just to let you know my latest test results on some of the recent Nvidia drivers:

v347.88 - NO TDR errors!
    v350.12 - Some TDR errors
    v372.70 - Rare TDR errors
    v372.90 - NO TDR errors! (Update: Rare TDR errors!)
    v375.70 - TDR errors
    v375.95 - Crazy TDR errors!
    v376.19 - Crazy TDR errors!

The most stable drivers for me so far with no TDR errors are 347.88 & 372.9.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  13. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I've been suffering TDR's for some time (but only in browsers regardless of h/w acceleration) across multiple cards and systems so I knew it wasn't hardware related (event id 4101), but never happened in games. Steady trickle throughout the day (every day) whilst browsing at random. It always recovers after a momentarily black screen, but it was annoying nonetheless. Tried tons of drivers, and tried clean installs using DDU. No help.

All the usual advice floating around never worked (change power savings, change profile to max performance for chrome etc, play around in bios, swap psu, swap ram, bump card voltage, tweak TDR delay, turn off hardware acceleration in browser etc, nothing worked all worthless)

What did work was playing around in chrome://flags and disabling smooth scrolling, since then no more TDR errors in the event logs with nvidia and chrome (GTX 580 & Latest driver 376.33) are all good now without any TDR.

I played with some other flags too from a chrome tweaking guide like rendering threads = 4 and stuff, but it was the smooth scrolling disable that solved it for me long term. No more TDR errors.

I will have to try re-installing firefox and disabling the smooth scrolling on that too (since this was the main reason for me switching to chrome, because firefox suffered the same TDR event id 4101).

I don't get and never have had tdr's in games only web browsers from default settings in OS and browsers, and if you do then it could be the card on it's way out instead. (especially if it ends up unrecoverable with a 0x116 or 0x117 BSOD)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Don't download third party drivers from your motherboard website as they are rarely updated. Ideally you would use the latest drivers.

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Thought I would share this for anybody else out there, as this has always been one of my pet peeves that has plagued and bugged me for some time...these random TDR's on Win7 x64 with my GTX 580 on drivers 350.12+

Since my last post I've had more time to investigate this problem across multiple systems on Windows 7 x64 and fermi cards at least after purchasing more hardware.

After having multiple systems all exhibiting the same behaviour on Win7 x64, i can say it isn't a hardware problem. The fact that TDR doesn't occur with old drivers proves this point also.

Any driver > 347.88 on fermi always causes a TDR when in firefox or chrome sporadically at random (and usually while playing videos on youtube), and sometimes even on the desktop itself at idle...

And while <= 347.88 works correctly without any TDR's on Fermi, I wanted to ideally use recent drivers (384.76 Tested) as older drivers don't have profiles for newer games like F! 2015 etc, so using old drivers were out the question for me.

After much work of elimination I think I have found the root trigger of the TDR's on Windows 7 x64 at least.

Turning off the Aero transparency seems to stop the TDR's whilst in firefox and chrome under Windows 7 x64 on drivers >=347.88. :)

Aero transparency always worked <=344.75 without TDR's, but as we know that was before Windows 10 drivers were introduced shortly afterwards.

Since doing this I haven't had a TDR in several days with any of the newer drivers whilst in firefox or chrome! and have browsed lot's of videos for hours without a dreaded TDR!.

You can still keep Aero, just not the transparency (which includes drop shadows)...

Let me know if this also works out for you as I haven't filed a bug report...yet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

16. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Can't understand why people have issues with Hardware Acceleration . I've never had issues with any of the version , browsers or anything with hardware .

It must be wrong bios settings, power savings, not updated bios, windows not set correctly, bad antivirus , bad ram, bad PSU , bad connection or just bad or dodgy hardware. Bad Hard Disks could also affect , also heat on other parts, not just GPU and CPU.
    cpu it will 99.9% never be the issue on almost most incidents , just maybe Voltage settings.

Never disable TDR .

The only time I had TDR issues is with bad nvidia drivers in Vista and Win 7

17. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Fix found, seriously!!

:banana:Everyone I have great news. A real fix was found for the terrible TDR Error (Display driver stopped responding and has recovered) bug that I and many others have suffered from for years! It came to the point of making my computer completely unusable lately with the error happening continuously! No solution mentioned before made any difference until I found this fix by chance yesterday!

Thanks to a clever dude on a different forum has discovered the culprit of this nasty bug. It is due to a certain Windows update called "Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11" - KB2685811. This update changes the power policy of devices in the computer. If you read this update in detail you will see this line "Adds the IdleTimeoutType and ExcludeD3Cold members to the WDF_DEVICE_POWER_POLICY_IDLE_settings.". I think this causes an intermitted drop in power to the graphics card causing the TDR error. You can uninstall this update from Windows update history. I have also removed update "User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11" - KB2685813 as they are closely related but it may not be necessary as I have not yet tested things leaving this update. Now these updates will come back in windows update and may install automatically again. You need to stop Windows Update from doing this by hiding them. Also I recommend keeping the "Power management mode" in NVIDIA control panel to "Prefer maximum performance" and set the "TdrDelay" setting in windows registry to 8 (Hex).

I am currently using the latest NVIDIA driver v384.94 with no TDR errors anymore with all normal setting applied back in Windows and finally everything runs smooth, fast and stable :banana:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  18. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    My 1st ever TDR appeared is during the 1st game ready driver for GTA V with my previous GTX 970 aka (3.5GB) & following with the next 4 drivers too, which included hot-fix but after NVIDIA officially announced the TDR is fixed then there's no more TDR again.

19. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    When did they announce that and for which driver? It didn't make any difference with me and the problem got worse with the latest drivers up until I removed that windows update and suddenly no more TDR errors!

20. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    The TDR will be maybe back. I already played out this scenario removing driver frameworks last year as well as TDR delay to 8. It didn't work in my case.

In my case of fermi h/w with drivers >347.88 + Windows 7 x64 at least what has really seemed to help and work in my case is changing CPU margin settings to performance instead of optimised, re-installing old drivers like 275.33 for fermi and then re-installing 384.76 again afterwards, and turning off transparency (full aero disabled on Windows 7 isn't required, just Aero transparency) *without* touching neither TDRdelay nor removing either kernel driver mode frameworks.

Of course none of this is required if you are using 347.88 and below!

Since doing those things, I haven't had a TDR in over 3 weeks with 384.76 on Fermi hardware.

They kind of messed things up driver wise since when Windows 10 got launched and the resulting drivers thereafter for using under Windows 7 x64, and it's a very intermittent and hard bug to hammer down, sometimes it doesn't or won't happen for days, then you get a spate of them all bunched.

This isn't a card or hardware issue. I've tested multiple scenarios across multiple machines AND cards and memory modules/motherboards. The results are the same.

In my case, it never happens while gaming, only when browsing the net, and flash/not flash isn't the issue as it occurs on html5 video also.

But as I say doing the above things and I'm TDR free for over 3 weeks now under Win7 at least...