I'm having problem with the sound on my headphones , can anyone help ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by BB Gun, Aug 18, 2016.

1. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Hello everyone.

I*recently noticed a problem with the sound in my headphones (Kingston HyperX Cloud - the first one) where the sound after I plug in my headphones becomes kinda 'muffled' and a little muted (meaning I barely hear something).

After a little experimentation, I noticed that there is a crackling sound when trying to plug in the headphones in the jack port and that the sound muffling I said above apparently happens when the plug is plugged all the way in, and that the sound is back to normal when I pull the plug*out very*little, but if I do plug it out a little , then I hear static when I'm not doing anything.

I also hear crackle when moving some way*the cable too.

I really tried to see if I can fix my problem through Google, but unfortunately since English is not my native language I was having a bit of difficulty finding the solution.

Some of the things I tried are:
    - Plug the headphones in other ports (the headphones were always plugged in the control box here:http://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/Cloud_Headset_UserManual.pdf*(Page 5)), the back port, the front (chassis) port, the problem is still there, but it seems the sound is WAY more muted/muffled with the control box then directly with other ports.
    - Tried blowing out the dust from the plug and ports (didn't try the alcohol method yet*where you clean it with very little alcohol both the ports and the plugs) still the same problem.

I really don't know what caused this problem to*appear all of a sudden, it was working normally and great one day and then the next one I find myself dealing with some crackling and muffled noises.

If anyone has any suggestions hopefully you can help me.

If anyone needs any additional information which I might have left out simply ask.

Thanks in forward.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I was having almost same issue as you with my sennheiser hd 280s,thing is it would come and go but I almost get a feeling like its some type of interference possibly with the motherboard? I tried new drivers,diffrent plugs like you and same problem.

3. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    You have not mentioned if you are using the motherboard or a dedicated sound card. In either case, first try uninstalling, then reinstalling drivers to rule out drivers.

Second, do you access to another pair of headphones, to rule out if the Kingston's are at fault? Did you try plugging the Kingston's into another device, like a receiver or phone?

4. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Thanks mezball.

I'm using onboard sound.

I don't have another headphones but I will try to find ones and report back after I test with other ones.

I already tried driver reinstallation, still the same problem.

5. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Well I just tested with new headphones in.

I noticed that my front audio jack is kinda messed up , same problem appeared with the new headphones (muffled sound until I pull the plug a little) , but after I tested both my headphones and the new ones, mine still had the same issues while the new ones are working normally.
    I also noticed if I move my cable a little the sound kinda clears up, but it's difficult to position it so that I don't get a muffled sound.

Any other suggestions before I decide to RMA these ones ?

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Test the headphones first with some other device, like a receiver, like mezball said. I'm sure you have some radio or whatnot lying around. That's the easiest way to check out the headphones themselves aren't broken. Or maybe the the headphones cable.

7. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    Same thing it seems happen with my Kingston headphones when testing on my phone.

But now the headphone plug is not the issue here because no matter if I pull it out a little there is no difference , however when I'm moving the cable the sound changes, so maybe it's just the cable that's kinda faulty here since when I was moving the cable while on my PC the sound went back to normal, but I can't put it in a position where it won't break the sound.

Any suggestions if the cable is at fault here ?

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If the headphones still have warranty left, return them. Obviously the cable is flawed. I replaced the cable of my old headphones (hifi stuff) a few times, but if there's warranty left, you don't need to bother to do such things by yourself.