Review: NVIDIA Shield Android TV game console

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2016.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Some TVs are complete crap. I personally have one based on Roku and it's actually pretty good. Every once in a while it fails to play some of my media, but it otherwise never stutters.

It is based on Android, which supports platforms like VNC or Miracast. So yes, you should be able to stream from your PC.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My problem with Smart TVs is the interface to stream your own content is crap. I have a huge movie library and the TV only lists these files in an alphabetical list that is such a pain to scroll through. I've seen some of the newer TVs actually have Android installed on them so theoretically you can install Kodi or other Android media apps but I don't know how the experience is.

For me though, the Shield is by far the best box out there and being able to stream my PC games to my living room is an added bonus. I don't care for Nvidia's streaming service but I did try it during the free trial period when the Shield was released and it worked perfectly fine.

3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I think it's unfair to the device and to Nvidia to spend a significant portion of multiple pages talking about a failure on Kodi's part, most content in most apps do not exhibit any stutter.

Nvidia gamestream will stream 4k/60, even over wifi, it is not maxed out at 720/1080p.

Nvidia Grid is 7.99 USD a month. 9.99 Euros.

Power consumption can be up to 20w if the CPU/GPU are pressed.

It's not passively cooled, and it's not 8w. Here's a thermal shot. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review/9

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Roku has a few decent apps like Plex that would probably work well with your media collection. Though, I'm not sure if buying a separate Roku box is worth doing, compared to the alternatives.
    I'm not sure if Shield is the best option, but it's definitely a good value and more than good enough for most people. For some (like myself) it would be overkill and overpriced. There are a lot of cheaper and capable alternatives, like some of Hardkernel's ODROID product line. I'm personally using an ODROID-U2 as a home server, which does a lot of my media streaming. It does a bunch of other things too, like print server, torrent server, file share, automated backup system, FTP, and so on. I'd connect it to my TV, but the built-in Roku kinda obsoletes that need.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean it's different, the specs and markets just aren't the same.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I have a Roku 3 and regret getting it, it's games are rubbish, I should have bought an Nvidia.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not interested in this as an option to buy.

TV/movie/media streaming can be done via a normal SMART TV, and if it is 2015/16 it shall have HDR, H265, WEB 2.0, Netflix ét all built into the TV.

Games can be done via a games console for the same price including a controller.

So, not worth buying from my perspective as there is nothing this has got that I do not already have - and, if someone was going to buy a 2160P/UHD TV this year, they would have no reason to buy this.

I've have this discussion a lot regarding TV dongles and ways to 'boost' your existing TV so you may get Media Streaming content - go to the TV section of the forums and I'll see you there.

On the topic of games running on a GPU in the cloud, I think nVidia are due to capture this market and own it - I really do not see anyone else with a viable solution for subscription based cloud GPU gaming, I just don't. The only problem they got is the games they have available are old (currently) or in low resolution. I'm watching this with keen interest.

If Nvidia made televisions, I think they would be awesome...this device is not.

8. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Can you install Steam on Android? If so it would be cool to use NV Shield to stream games as well via Steam home streaming...one can wish.

*Edit: Found this app that can do it
    http://kinoconsole.kinoni.com/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  9. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    @Loobyluggs : all TV aren't enough powerfull to play all codec (espcially H265) without problem.
    I tried latest TV Sony or Samsung , and some file H265 don't play at all.
    the same files work perfectly (with amazing picture) with Nvidia shield.
    Also kodi is not supported on 2015/2016 Tv , so u must have a player like Nvidia shield TV to have the benefits of kodi.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If you log into the GeForce Experience on your desktop and add the steam executable as a game you want to stream, you can stream any game you want. On the Shield you would just launch the steam.exe you added on your desktop and then Steam will launch in Big Picture mode giving you access to all your games.

11. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    But you need an Nvidia card?

I think i'm buying this. It more future proof and versatile than Fire TV.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    To use Nvidia's game streaming service you need an Nvidia card.

There are remote desktop tools you can use as a way around this, but the experience isn't that great.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Which version did you try? The Linux/XBian version installed to your television via a USB stick appears to work very well...So, I still cannot think of a reason to spend any money on a STB anno 2016.

If they want to produce a games console, like they had the chance to (kinda) with Sony/M$, or their own design, then fine.

If they want to release a cheeeeeeapo STB/Stick/Remote for those that cannot afford a new television, then fine.

If they want to work really hard on subscriber-based-cloud-GPU gaming, then fine - but with the caveat that they need current/new games.

Slamming it all into one box, not fine as it has too many conflicts and overlaps with existing technology, and in particular the panel technology and RTOS's of established televisions.

This box does not make the picture, the television does that.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I have a Samsung 8500 48" TV and the SmartTV functionality of it sucks. Period. It's garbage. In fact I'd pay money for Samsung to strip all those features out because they constantly show banners on the top of my TV while I'm watching a movie about how some garbage service I don't care about is being discontinued.

I hate SmartTVs. I've seen/used SmartTV's from Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/Sharp and LG. The interfaces, the speed, the application support, the input (controller) and even the voice recognition, it's all bad.

I spent like 3 hours running wires through my wall to get my ShieldTV mounted/hidden and connected to my 8500 SmartTV because that's how much I hate it and feel that the Shield is better.

15. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Dunno, IMO, I think the Shield or any other dedicated box has a place and out perform even the new Smart TVs.

*Edit I bought the NV Shield :)
    Back to the dark side :p

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Even the Panasonic 2015/16 running Firefox? Not used the Samsung ones, and haven't seen any reviews, but really that bad? Didn't it win awards?

17. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Not all games on the play store even support the controller so wont even install on this. If you really want a device to stream your games from your pc to your tv, then great, but remember latency. IMO just wasnt worth the price especially if you already have a new console or even a kindle fire stick. If you dont own either of those, its probably the best on the market fora play store game streaming device

18. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Latency is completely a non-issue on a modern network. If I gave you two controllers and didn't tell you which was direct and which was streaming, you wouldn't know. You can also sideload apks without hacking or rooting it at all.

Fire stick doesn't support 4k. Closest thing is the fire TV, which is only about 80 dollars cheaper