AB 4.1.1 - No AMD VCE encoder ?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by MaXMaini, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MaXMaini

MaXMaini Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X
    Hi all,
    in the past I've been using AMD VCE encoder in AB for video capture and I've just realized that in 4.1.1 I no longer have the option to select it: I only see "diasbled" and "QSV.dll" in the options for "external plugin".

Am I missing something ?

MaX.

2. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
  3. MaXMaini

MaXMaini Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X
    Thanks gedo ! At least now I know it's not something I did wrong.

Too bad no news since the time the9quad notified, VCE was working very fine for my needs. I'll have to revert to QuickSync (which is a bit more cumbersome).

MaX.

4. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    AVT is EOL and is no longer present in any WHQL Catalyst drivers after 14.12, it should be present in 15.6 Beta too. If you wish to use it with newer drivers and possibly enable the functionality you'll need to grab the AVT installer package from one of the older drivers and install it separately.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

5. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    What???? I would find it hard to believe that AMD would EOL a feature/hardware they just recently upgraded (4K VCE 3.0 for the 285's and Fury). Isn't VCE an ASIC btw? Would they just disable it? Disable something they put in a brand new card (furyx) taking up considerable die space? Doesn't make sense to me, but I might be wrong.

ANYWAY the good news is VCE still works and you don't need to install the AVT package from old drivers..

OpenEncode support however, was removed, but... VCE still works. You just have to call it with AMF now instead of OpenEncode . (See below pics for proof of VCE working with latest software and latest beta cats.)

VCE still works in Playclaw, OBS, and X-split, and APP still works in Bandicam and Action! btw

Although VCE and APP were temporarily broke after the 15.6 beta and 14.12 whql, as soon as everyone switched to AMF instead of OpenEncode it was all back again.... Although at worse performance than with OpenEncode.

Unwinder said last week the next version of RTSS will have support for hardware encoding again, and should be due real soon.

VCE working using the latest beta cats:

[​IMG]

as you can see VCE is still working fine.

X-split

[​IMG]

OBS

[​IMG]

Playclaw

[​IMG]

bandicam

[​IMG]

Action!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    AVT was what i meant to say not VCE. :bang:

7. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    ah lol, you had me scared.

8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    The old method is EOL, but there is a new method for HW-accelerated encoding and unwinder already stated:
    So, we AMD users just wait and look forward to next release.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Surprisingly, I actually see higher VCE encoding performance with AMF comparing to OVE. Both plugins (old VCE.dll working via OVE and new VCEAMF.dll working via AMF) will be included in distributive so those who want to compare apples to apples will be able to compare performance of both implementations on pre-15.7 drivers.
    Also, starting from RTSS 6.4.0 source code of all hardware accelerated encoding plugins (QuickSync plugin, NVENC plugin and both AMD VCE plugins) will be included in SDK and supplied with RTSS, so those who want to customize the encoding settings a bit deeper or want to try to optimize it further will be able to recompile them.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  10. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    wow! Great move, unwinder.

11. brroleg

brroleg Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD7700
    I just now faced exact same problem.
    But i dont have even "QSV.dll", only "diasbled" in the options for "external plugin".
    Using AB 4.3

Interesting - if i delete AB 4.3 and install some older AB version (4.0) - option "QSV.dll" shows up in "external plugin" (but still no option for VCEAMF.dll or any other).

Also this is on freshly installed Win7, with latest AMD radeon drivers (16.12.2)

Help please, i already spent several hours googling trying to find solution.